Author Topic: Samsung Linux on Galaxy software will bring Ubuntu to your phone (ext. monitor)  (Read 1290 times)

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Yeah I've been keeping half an eye out for Samsung DeX news since I saw this a couple of weeks ago
http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/10/19/linux-galaxy-will-bring-desktop-os-samsung-phones-dex/
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
Can't remember where I saw it, but some troll commented. "Yeah like 0.00001% of the world wants to run Linux on their smart phone!"

Somebody responded, "To update your knowledge, Android is Linux."

Bwahahahahahaha! Good skewer!   :D

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
LOL, to tell the truth I'm surprised it's taken this long, it seems like a perfectly natural progression to me.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Can't remember where I saw it, but some troll commented. "Yeah like 0.00001% of the world wants to run Linux on their smart phone!"

Somebody responded, "To update your knowledge, Android is Linux."

:))

I love seeing morons put in their place.

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
Yeah it's a good idea in theory, but you still have to pay £640 for the one phone it works with, then about £50 for the official dock. You could get a very decent computer (and a basic phone) for that money.

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
Yeah it's a good idea in theory, but you still have to pay £640 for the one phone it works with, then about £50 for the official dock. You could get a very decent computer (and a basic phone) for that money.

This.  All of it.

Plus, I personally think they should just leave computers and phones separate, but that's just me.  And, I'll remain that way until I see a phone or tablet capable of doing everything a computer can do.  I mean, being able to program and other stuff on one is cool and all, but specs wise it doesn't take a lot.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 08:46:19 am by scifidude79 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Sure it only makes sense if you're in the market for a high end phone anyway .. but THEN :)

And it is a bit funny that when Ubuntu said they were going to do it a million Linux users immediately said "Oooh I must have one of those, when/where can I get one?" .. but now it's Samsung, it's a dumb gimmick :)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 11:33:32 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
And it is a bit funny that when Ubuntu said they were going to do it a million Linux users immediately said "Oooh I must have one of those, when/where can I get one?" .. but now it's Samsung, it's a dumb gimmick :)

That's because it's Samsung.  They're just about as universally loved and loathed as Microsoft, Apple and Google.  They also make a crap ton of money and then there's their constant feud with Apple and all that patent BS, which most everyone is tired of.

Of course, you know a good chunk of the people saying it's a dumb gimmick have Samsung products.  Just like the sizable chunk of people who whine and moan about Microsoft, yet still run Windows.  ::)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
I don't use either (so am free to slag them off) .. I have however softened towards Apple though would you believe :))

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
I have however softened towards Apple though would you believe :))

Yeah, I do. I was smitten by the Apple® iPhone® SE - actually played with one, at a kiosk up in Montreal, Canada.

I need something small - 'shirt pocket small'. The SE was the perfect size, but... the Moto E4 is only slightly larger.

Anyway, I'm still tempted. My carrier is blowing them out the door, for pennies on the wholesale dollar: https://goo.gl/QZr213

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
I'm softening towards Apple also.  I'm a supervisor in receiving where I work, so one of my responsibilities is to check in high dollar electronics when they come in on our trucks.  I've been checking out some Walmart Family Mobile iPhone SE's we've been getting lately, thinking I might upgrade from my current LG Android phone to one of those.  8)  Apple is finally wising up and realizing that a lot of people don't want $800+ phones, so they have some less expensive iPhone models now and they're available on lower cost carriers.

I used to have a few Samsung things.  The tablet was OK, but I gave it to my dad and got myself a 7" Kindle Fire.  But, he loves the tablet, so that's good.  Their tablets and phones tend to have issues working with some Android apps that other manufacturers' devices don't.  The Samsung Blu-Ray player I have started developing issues with its drive after a couple years or so, so I don't use it anymore.  I had a Samsung hard drive once, it didn't last too terribly long.  So, you can say I'm not a huge fan of Samsung, nor do I hate them.  They're just there.  When I was looking a cell phones to get a couple years ago, I looked at a Samsung and an LG, I wound up going with the LG because it cost less with pretty much the same specs.  It's a pretty good phone, if I don't mind the implications of still being stuck on Android 5.1.   ???
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 01:18:28 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
if I don't mind the implications of still being stuck on Android 5.1.   ???

And that right there is the main reason I prefer iPhones, and it can't hurt that the SE's A9 processor is damn powerful for the price :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec