Choose style:

Author Topic: Setting Static IP address in Network Manager (SOLVED)  (Read 1178 times)

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
Setting Static IP address in Network Manager (SOLVED)
« on: November 09, 2017, 01:07:14 am »
Hi guys

Has anyone tried setting a static ip in Network Manager ?

I'm asking because I'm finding it impossible, NM is so screwed up it's impossible to describe what's happening, the best way would be to try it for yourself, and assuming your getting the same as me you'll see instantly what I mean, if not then I've got some serious issue with my network as this the second installation of PM8 this is happening with.

Many thanks

Graeme
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 01:42:22 pm by emegra »
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Setting Static IP address in Network Manager
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 05:35:20 am »
What is the exact problem you are having because it works for me ?

If you mean the Netmask being changed to something like "24"  or "16" this is perfectly normal
https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,6043.msg61075.html#msg61075

It often helps if you widen the NetworkManager window when entering the Address/Netmask/Gateway

« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 05:46:23 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 06:09:06 am »

Well I was hoping you would have the same issue as me and if you were you'd know exactly what I mean,

but it's impossible to input data ie if I type in the ip address in the left hand column and tab to the next column it jumps all over the place, it won't let me enter the subnet mask whether I use 255.255.255.0 or 24 when I try to enter it it jumps into the gateway column and it wont work with clicking the mouse either  it's unusable, it's impossible for me to do what you have shown in the pics you've posted (which is exactly what I'm trying to do) and something I've done many times before, it's so screwed up I can't find words to explain accurately what's happening and this is the second installation of PM8 it's doing it with on this PC,

I think the best way I can demonstrate this is with a video which I'll try to do this evening and post a link to
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 06:48:57 am »
Can't really help you here, other than to say...

The first thing I do, on any new install, is purge NM and replace it with WiCD.

The End

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 07:06:48 am »

Well I was hoping you would have the same issue as me and if you were you'd know exactly what I mean,

but it's impossible to input data ie if I type in the ip address in the left hand column and tab to the next column it jumps all over the place, it won't let me enter the subnet mask whether I use 255.255.255.0 or 24 when I try to enter it it jumps into the gateway column and it wont work with clicking the mouse either  it's unusable, it's impossible for me to do what you have shown in the pics you've posted (which is exactly what I'm trying to do) and something I've done many times before, it's so screwed up I can't find words to explain accurately what's happening and this is the second installation of PM8 it's doing it with on this PC,

I think the best way I can demonstrate this is with a video which I'll try to do this evening and post a link to

Have you tried widening the window ?

I kinda get what you're saying and widening the window helps  .. with a wider window when you click just below the word "Netmask" and "Gateway" the entry doesn't jump about as much.

[EDIT]

It's almost as if the NM window SHOULD be wider by default .. luckily once you've widened the window it seems to remember it when you open it again .. I'll see if I can find where that width is remembered and if it'll be possible to change its default width via an update.

[EDIT2]

Nope, it only saves the window size for the current session :(

I wonder if the gtk theme you're using has anything to do with it .. have you tried using a different theme and/or widening the window ?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 07:20:03 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 08:36:20 am »
Can't really help you here, other than to say...

The first thing I do, on any new install, is purge NM and replace it with WiCD.

Thanks VIN I'd be quite happy to use WICD and in fact I did that when I had this same issue with my last install of PM8 but it had a problem as well which was although it allowed me to input my settings it changed the IP address I set, in other words I couldn't set the IP I wanted and I confirmed it wasn't a conflict

@Mark

I'll try these things you suggest and post back tonight I didn't think of widening the window or changing the theme, it wouldn't matter if it saved the window size as it's not an application I have open very often and it's no big deal to widen it anytime I do use it

Many thanks

Graeme

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 09:00:03 am »
it wouldn't matter if it saved the window size as it's not an application I have open very often and it's no big deal to widen it anytime I do use it

Yeah I was just wondering if there was a way I could set it to open wider by default in the respin (or via an update).

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 01:41:24 pm »
I gotta admit to feeling a bit foolish because widening the window in Network Manager fixes the problem, such a simple solution yet I don't think I'd ever have thought of it

Nothing more to say other than thanks again and mark this SOLVED

Many thanks

Graeme

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Re: Setting Static IP address in Network Manager (SOLVED)
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 01:49:48 pm »
Don't feel foolish, I'd been kinda struggling along with its default size too until you prompted me to look at it a bit harder.

it also means there MIGHT be a way of fixing it, something I'd never even have looked into if you'd not brought it up so there's no foolish questions ;)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec