Choose style:

Author Topic: HDD  (Read 797 times)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 (64bit)
Re: HDD
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2017, 04:19:48 pm »
Nowt wrong with the travelstars either .. at least there wasn't when they were Hitachi, in fact they were once rated as the best 2.5" drives you could buy back then .. but HGST is now a Western Digital subsidiary and I'd "expect" they'd label the better ones with their premium WD label (though who knows right).

I was just passing on my own PERSONAL experience, I can't say I have any with travelstars (though I have had some Hitachi Deskstars which were also good) .. so as you say probably 6 of one and half dozen of the other ;)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 04:29:31 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2017, 04:36:54 pm »
Get a 10,000rpm velociraptor .. then see if you can move your laptop against the gyroscopic stabilisation effect :))
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 04:46:58 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8, 64bit
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2017, 11:25:32 am »
Get a SSD instead and you will never ever again will want to hear about HDD's

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk

Agree Wholeheartedly here...  I have peppermint installed on a 250 nvme, with all my files stored on another 250 gb PNY SSD that peppermint sees as "a device" .... along with an ancient 500 gb drive as secondary backup also seen as  "a device"... none are more than 25% full despite holding 20 years worth of email, files, photos and other data debris I find hard to overwrite...  I've released the desire for terrabyte drives... seeing as everything i have stored would not quite fill the nvme drive.... I just still have worries about putting all storage eggs in one basket. after a devastating crash back in 97...
spence
Peppermint 8 on my Antec Aria
QuadCore Intel i7-7700 rebuild

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2017, 12:23:16 pm »
Yep, having backups is always a good idea .. you only discover how good when you don't have them .. luck will only last so long.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline cfx795

• cab driver and computer novice
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2017, 12:17:08 am »
I'm not sure exactly what RAID is, I should probably do some homework, but I surmise that it's some special configuration of running multiple drives in tandem. I guess that's what google is for, huh? And Wikipedia? So insofar as backup, I guess one backs up one's stuff on a secondary HDD, and now I guess cloud storage is a thing. I always wondered about data breach with cloud storage. I'm not generally even very paranoid about that sort of thing, but still...

Actually flash storage - ssd's and flash drives - are still comparatively pretty darn expensive for the larger drives. Same thing with the cloud. 1Tb of storage on Google Drive is $10/mo. Which is I'm sure why HDD's are still selling, and being used. Flash drives are nifty, and tend to be sort of slow and buggy and undependable, in my experience. Maybe because I've never paid much for a flash drive. Ya get whatcha pay for!

I'm planning on adding a HDD for storage on my desktop computer. I'm using an SSD for boot. Thinking about this 3TB Toshiba drive: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013JPLOQQ/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER  It's not really that I need massive amounts of storage, but the 2TB drive is $20 more than the 1TB drive, the 3TB drive is $20 more than the 2TB, etc. It's not a whole lot of money for a massive amount of storage, and lots cheaper than flash storage... I had thought about the 4TB WD Blue, but there's actually a little bit of a bump in price, there, maybe 3TB is my sweet spot. Seems to be a bit of a  premium for anything beyond 4TB.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 12:21:13 am by cfx795 »

Offline stroudmw

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8 32 bit
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2017, 02:36:45 am »
RAID stands for "Redundant Array of Inexpensive (or Independent) Disks. It started out as a method of protecting server data when Hard Disks were far less reliable (and much more expensive) than they are today. Theoretically, if one disk failed, you could swap it "on the fly" and not lose any data.

There are many types of RAID arrays, I use software RAID 0 because I have 2 x 250 GiB HDDs on my old HP desktop. By setting it up as a RAID 0 array, my system thinks that I have a single 500 GiB drive. This makes partitioning my drive much easier (my /home dir is about 470 GiB.) 

The downside of RAID 0 is that, should 1 disk fail, you lose everything: obviously, that's not "redundant". The upside is that 2 x 250 GiB disks (or whatever size you choose) are generally cheaper than 1 x 500 GiB disk. I'm told that a 2 x 250 GiB RAID 0 array is also faster than a single 500 GiB HDD (so, for example, gamers like using them), but I can't vouch for that personally.

With RAID 1, the disks really are redundant: 1 disk mirrors the other, so should one fail, you're ok. You just plug in another dish and you're good to go.

I'm not going to go into the various types of RAID (hardware, software, fake; RAID 2 - through RAID 6, nested RAID). If you're really interested, you can go here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_RAID_levels

You need a program called "mdadm" to set it up, and doing so can be quite a process. However, I've managed to do in in Ubuntu and Debian using the text (server, or minimal) installer without too many hassles. Doing it using Linux Mint was a bit more tricky. I haven't tried it with Peppermint, so I can't comment (but I suspect it's the same process as using Mint). There was a pretty good article in "Full Circle" magazine (issue 104 from December 2015) entitled "Install Mint on a 2 Disk RAID 0 set" that explained it quite nicely. You can find it here (page 18):

http://dl.fullcirclemagazine.org/issue104_en.pdf

Edit: If you aren't familiar with Full Circle magazine, you really should check it out!

https://fullcirclemagazine.org

« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 02:49:40 am by stroudmw »

Offline cfx795

• cab driver and computer novice
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2017, 04:21:00 am »
Thanks! Great intro and overview on RAID!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 04:22:55 am by cfx795 »

Offline tetricky

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2017, 07:43:49 am »
Software RAID in linux is excellent. You can, for example, mirror a couple of hard drives, mount them for storage, and if the whole box dies recover all data on another machine (not requiring the same hard drive controller card - a classic problem with raid recovery for proprietary controllers) using just one of the hard drives. It's well established technology, and works.

So my intention is not to undermine that.

However there are some problems.  Growing RAID arrays can be problematic (replace one of our mirrors with a bigger disk, rebuild the array, replace the other mirror with the same size bigger disk, rebuild the array, extend the filesystem or add another raid partition). Backup using snapshots can be problematic.

In recent years LVM has been extended to allow mirrored (and striped for increased read/write performance) logical volumes.  This overcomes some of the disadvantages. You can create a volume group out of different sized hard drives. You can grow a volume group just by adding new disks. You can use LVM snapshot to 'freeze' the current state of the  storage, and back it up (useful for running processes like databases or virtual machines). I'm currently experimenting more with this in order to provide resilient flexible stoarge, that can also be backed up properly for disaster recovery.  There are some additional issues around this, compared to saving one disk in the mirror from the fire....but still, it has a lot more flexibility.

This is a nice walkthough of LVM and creation of striped and mirrored logical volumes.

You can create virtual machine disks within their own logical volume, then snapshot the logical volume, then backup the snapshot, then destroy the snapshot. In doing so you backup the VM without disrupting it's operation (less the performance overhead of the disk operations).

You can also RAID a BTRFS filesystem (currently not safe with RAID 5/6), for a full COW (Copy On Write) filesystem with snapshots. That's probably where we are headed...but it's not really used in production much yet.

I did use software RAID.  I'm currently using LVM mirrors. I will probably end up using BTRFS in some sort of scheme yet to be determined.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2017, 04:50:56 pm »
ButterFS/RAID/X-RAID/Snapshots .. Netgear ReadyNAS ahead of the game :)
(damn now I'm promoting stuff ::))
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 04:54:23 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline stroudmw

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8 32 bit
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2017, 03:23:32 am »
Just an update: I have managed to install Peppermint 8 on a RAID 0 array!

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2017, 07:41:41 am »
Great stuff :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec