Choose style:

Author Topic: Install seems OK, but get grub prompt (and not grub rescue)  (Read 2055 times)

Offline Wine Curmudgeon

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
My problem is very similar to this, though without the solution -- http://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,431.msg3558.html#msg3558 Would that turning it off had worked.

I installed Peppermint 5 on an Asus UX31A laptop with a USB stick via Unetbootin, and it seemed to install correctly. But when I removed the USB, the grub prompt came up, with this "Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first world, TAB lists possible command completions.Anywhere else TAB lists the possible completions of a device/filename]."

I spent a couple of hours messing with it, using various Google solutions for grub repair, mounting, and so forth. None of them worked. At one point, after repartitioning, the installer recognized Peppermint on the hard drive, but the boot option menu in setup didn't.

I think, as noted in the link, this is a UEFI/secure boot problem. For one thing, the boot priority in the bios showed two versions of the USB, one with UEFI and one without. I have been installing Linux systems with a USB since 2008 or so and have never seen this.

The hard drive had Xubuntu 14.04 on it when I tried to install Peppermint 5. After I failed with Peppermint, I had no trouble installing the 32-bit LXLE 12044, another Lubuntu-based distribution. The only time it had Windows on it was when I bought it a couple of years ago, and wiped it with Xubuntu 12.04. I have never had a problem until this.

Any help would be much appreciated. I really want to switch to Peppermint for the laptop, since the battery life should be better.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Install seems OK, but get grub prompt (and not grub rescue)
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 03:40:25 pm »
I take it you've set
Secure Boot = Disabled
and
Launch CSM = Enabled
?

http://support.asus.com/FAQ/Detail.aspx?SLanguage=en&no=8AEDC590-B808-710B-1877-4E94E38B8FD9&p=3&m=UX31A

You are using the 64 bit version of Peppermint right ?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 03:51:14 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Wine Curmudgeon

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
Re: Install seems OK, but get grub prompt (and not grub rescue)
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 04:20:49 pm »
Yes, the 64 bit. But also tried the 32-bit version because I'm thorough.

My bios doesn't have the secure boot option, so I'll try to update it through the easy flash system on the laptop.

Updated bios and no such luck. Looks like Lubuntu or back to Xubuntu. Thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 04:40:22 pm by Wine Curmudgeon »