Choose style:

Author Topic: Peperment USB stick not booting to Live  (Read 4202 times)

Offline RodneyLee

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
Peperment USB stick not booting to Live
« on: July 04, 2014, 06:14:37 pm »
I bought the 32 bit USB install stick and it would not boot to the Live version, I downloaded again, loaded up the stick and tried to run a live session, still didn't work, tried on 2 different computers already with Ubuntu 14.04 on them, Nadda
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 12:59:55 pm by RodneyLee »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Peperment USh stick not booting to Live
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 06:31:54 pm »
What happens when you try to boot from the USB stick ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline RodneyLee

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: Peperment USB stick not booting to Live
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 01:01:07 pm »
I get to the Menu, Click for live (not Install) and computer reboots back to Ubuntu

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 04:02:58 pm »
Try using dd to write the image to USB stick.

It won't give you persistence .. but it could rule in/out the USB creation software.

Are you sure these PC's can boot from USB stick .. have they ever booted another distro from USB stick ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline RodneyLee

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 06:44:06 am »
I used Linux Mint 17's USB Writer to re-install OS to USB stick, still didn't work, where can I find "DD" ?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 07:03:47 am »
dd is a command line utility, and one you should be VERY careful with .. get the syntax wrong and it will happily overwrite your hard drive, so I'm a a bit wary about offering it as the solution until we're 100% sure the issue is with the LiveUSB creator application.

May  be worth trying unetbootin first.

Install unetbootin in Mint with:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install unetbootin
Unetbootin should now be in your menu somewhere (probably under System Tools) .. try using that to write the peppermint ISO to the USB stick.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 10 (64-bit)
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 07:41:27 am »
Hi RodneyLee how's it going?  Okay, I'll walk you through the dd method.  Be warned, you must follow the instructions to the letter - dd can also stand for DataDestroyer.  It is advisable to umount and remove any unnecessary devices such as external hard drives.  It is best to have only the USB device you are going to dd attached to your machine.  It simply reduces the possibility of disasters.  This method will destroy any data you have on the usb device you are intending to use.  So BACKUP any data you have stored on it.  This will not only"Nuke 'n Pave" your USB, it will do it to anything you have attached if you are not meticulous!!  You have been advised.  ;)

Determine what device your USB is.  With your USB device plugged in run:

sudo ls -l /dev/disk/by-id/*usb*
The output should look similar to this:
andy@AMILO-Li3710 ~ $ sudo ls -l /dev/disk/by-id/*usb*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 jul  7 13:05 /dev/disk/by-id/usb-Generic-_Multi-Card_20071114173400000-0:0 -> ../../sdb
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 jul  7 13:03 /dev/disk/by-id/usb-Lexar_USB_Flash_Drive_36A74627E624350908CC-0:0 -> ../../sdc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 jul  7 13:03 /dev/disk/by-id/usb-Lexar_USB_Flash_Drive_36A74627E624350908CC-0:0-part1 -> ../../sdc1
andy@AMILO-Li3710 ~ $
In this example output, the USB device is sdc. 

Next is to unmount the partition  you are going use.  Using the example above as a reference, it would be entered into the command line as:
sudo umount /dev/sdc1

Adjust yours accordingly.

Next is to change directory  to where you have your Peppermint.ISO saved. The most likely place will be:
cd ~/Downloads
Once you have changed to the required directory, you can enter the following command into the command line.  You must substitute, "filename.iso" for the Peppermint ISO file name and "your-USB-device" for the USB being used.    Please Note this is the point of no return, so check everything thoroughly before hitting enter:
sudo dd if=filename.iso of=/dev/your-USB-device bs=1M
For example: lets say the iso is named rubberduck.iso and your USB device is sdb.  The command line entry would look like this:
sudo dd if=rubberduck.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=1M

NOTE - It is important there is NEVER a trailing number on the end of your /dev/sdx USB device.  If you are still unsure - ASK before you proceed.  I hope this helps.  Good luck  ;)!!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 03:11:22 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 08:18:51 am »
Be VERY careful with the dd syntax .. as I said before, if you get it wrong dd will happily overwrite your hard drive with ZERO warning ;)

There's a reason dd is known as "data destroyer" .. it's an immensely powerful tool, but VERY unforgiving.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline RodneyLee

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 07:53:47 am »
thanks I'll give it a shot today, the USB stick was purchased from PeppermentOS website, wish they would just send a working one, will also try Live CD today

Offline tbeckett

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5.0
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 04:05:22 pm »
I had problems getting my home-loaded USB drive to run from a bootloader on a PC platform. The USB drive that I used was a SanDisk Cruzer Blade (which I have always liked).  However, I read on the TAILS documentation that SanDisk Cruzer drives do not play nicely. So I went and bought another cheap USB thumb drive and installed he PepOS disk image on that. The new drive did the trick, loaded live without a hitch. Now I am installing to the lappy from the USB drive.

Offline RodneyLee

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 10:48:41 pm »
I just tried this, booted USB stick, got Startup Menu, went to run live session and CRASH, bunch of code and flashing keyboard lights, I this I'll give up on this for now, I did try persistence install also on 8 g stick, install failed everytime, How well

Hi RodneyLee how's it going?  Okay, I'll walk you through the dd method.  Be warned, you must follow the instructions to the letter - dd can also stand for DataDestroyer.  It is also advisable to umount and remove any unnecessary devices such as external hard drives.  It is best to have only the USB device you are going to dd attached to your machine.  It simply reduces the possibility of disasters.  This method will destroy any data you have on the usb device you are intending to use.  So BACKUP any data you have stored on it.  This will not only"Nuke 'n Pave" your USB, it will do it to anything you have attached if you are not meticulous!!  You have been advised.  ;)

Determine what device your USB is.  With your USB plugged in run:

sudo ls -l /dev/disk/by-id/*usb*
The output should look similar to this:
andy@AMILO-Li3710 ~ $ sudo ls -l /dev/disk/by-id/*usb*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 jul  7 13:05 /dev/disk/by-id/usb-Generic-_Multi-Card_20071114173400000-0:0 -> ../../sdb
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 jul  7 13:03 /dev/disk/by-id/usb-Lexar_USB_Flash_Drive_36A74627E624350908CC-0:0 -> ../../sdc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 jul  7 13:03 /dev/disk/by-id/usb-Lexar_USB_Flash_Drive_36A74627E624350908CC-0:0-part1 -> ../../sdc1
andy@AMILO-Li3710 ~ $
In this example output, the USB device is sdc. 

Next is to unmount the partition  you are going use.  Using the example above as a reference, it would be entered into the command line as:
sudo umount /dev/sdc1
Adjust yours accordingly.

Next is to change directory  to where you have your Peppermint.ISO saved. The most likely place will be:
cd ~/Downloads
Once you have changed to the required directory, you can enter the following command into the command line.  You must substitute, "filename.iso" for the Peppermint ISO file name and "your-USB-device" for the USB being used.    Please Note this is the point of no return, so check everything thoroughly before hitting enter:
sudo dd if=filename.iso of=/dev/your-USB-device bs=1M
For example: lets say the iso is named rubberduck.iso and your USB device is sdb.  The command line entry would look like this:
sudo dd if=rubberduck.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=1M

NOTE - It is important there is NEVER a trailing number on the end of your /dev/sdx USB device.  If you are still unsure - ASK before you proceed.  I hope this helps.  Good luck  ;)!!

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 09:02:37 am »
Is this a hardware compatibility issue, or a USB stick/creator issue ?

Have you tried the USB stick you just created with "dd" on another PC ?

and have you tried any other 14.04 based distro on this PC ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline RodneyLee

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 07:45:49 am »
Is this a hardware compatibility issue, or a USB stick/creator issue ?

Have you tried the USB stick you just created with "dd" on another PC ?

and have you tried any other 14.04 based distro on this PC ?

tested on 2 computers, both had 14.04, booted to peppermintOS Menu just fine, but once I hit "Try Peppermint Live" both computers restarted
I have re-installed PeppermintOS 5 to the stick (bought off peppermintOS website) 3 different ways and still get same issue, won't boot to live edition

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 09:10:36 am »
Is this a new PC .. designed for Win8 ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline RodneyLee

• Newly Subscribed
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 09:21:58 am »
Is this a new PC .. designed for Win8 ?

nope, older pc's, both I tested on running ubuntu 14.04, worked for a CD just fine, I gave up on Peppermentstick, just using as USB stick now, thank for all the help