Choose style:

Author Topic: My "Cool" Keyboard Rather Sucks.  (Read 917 times)

Offline cfx795

• cab driver and computer novice
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
My "Cool" Keyboard Rather Sucks.
« on: November 03, 2017, 01:43:24 pm »
Really not to do much with Peppermint OS, but on the mouse-and-keyboard side of things:

I got this Redragon Gaming Keyboard, and while it's really cool as hell, lights up, black with red LED's... I probably got it when I thought I might "game." But I'm unlikely to game.

But I do type and communicate. I'm not sure mechanical keyboards are the best for typing, although I'm sure they're the cat's meow for gaming. (I guess.) Anyway. I feel like I'm going to wake up the neighbors with this thing. Also I get to typing and more than once I inadvertently managed to highlight-delete some semi-lengthy screed. Poof-gone. I don't think I've ever spent much for any keyboard. But I think I'd better get something with a softer touch to it. I never really found any detriment or disadvantage to wireless keyboards - only advantage. So I don't know why I got this thing. Well, ok I do: It looks very cool. Maybe I'll get used to it. Or maybe I need a new keyboard. Any suggestions?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: My "Cool" Keyboard Rather Sucks.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 03:28:07 pm »
Keyboards are keyboards to me (as long as they're not those stupid "island" types with no travel/feel you see everywhere these days).

Seems to me a keyboard is a binary switch ON or OFF .. it's not any kind of analogue device where a key can be kinda half pressed to mean something else. So other than "feel" (and possibly longevity) there's no advantage to a mechanical keyboard over a blister type. If you prefer the "feel" of blister types ditch the mechanical.

I'm also of the opinion that a lot of mechanical keyboard users have no idea why they own one, just that someone told them they were "better" and possibly for bragging rights .. I'll also bet 80% of them are out today getting their iPhone X ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 04:07:11 pm »
I don't put a lot of time or money into keyboards either.  When I used to buy computer towers, I'd use whatever came with the computer.  Now I use a Logitech wired USB keyboard on my desktop.  About $12 at Amazon.  I use a Logitech wireless keyboard/trackpad on my Steam Machine.  About $20 on Rollback at Walmart.  Both are great for typing and work fine for gaming. (and I do game)

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 04:35:08 pm »
I'm unlikely to game.

But I do type and communicate. I'm not sure mechanical keyboards are the best for typing,

There are different types of switches and the ones made for gaming usually have too heavy an action for typing. Yes, mechanical keyboards are noisy. If you know somewhere that has lots of keyboards on display, try them all and see if a cheap one suits what you need.

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 05:59:13 pm »
Keyboards are keyboards to me (as long as they're not those stupid "island" types with no travel/feel you see everywhere these days).

Seems to me a keyboard is a binary switch ON or OFF .. it's not any kind of analogue device where a key can be kinda half pressed to mean something else. So other than "feel" (and possibly longevity) there's no advantage to a mechanical keyboard over a blister type. If you prefer the "feel" of blister types ditch the mechanical.

I'm also of the opinion that a lot of mechanical keyboard users have no idea why they own one, just that someone told them they were "better" and possibly for bragging rights .. I'll also bet 80% of them are out today getting their iPhone X ;)

:D ROFL. Yeah I think you nailed it. I have no idea why I have this $#@# thing! Uh, well... I think someone told me they were better, and it does look awfully cool. Guilty as charged, Your Honor! But in my defense, I will never pay that much for a phone! Never!

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 06:10:52 pm »
I'm unlikely to game.

But I do type and communicate. I'm not sure mechanical keyboards are the best for typing,

There are different types of switches and the ones made for gaming usually have too heavy an action for typing. Yes, mechanical keyboards are noisy. If you know somewhere that has lots of keyboards on display, try them all and see if a cheap one suits what you need.

Good idea. Yeah, I had it in my head that maybe I'd get into gaming, build a "gaming rig" and that's all the rage in building a PC, you know. Gaming-this and gaming-that, and if you're not gaming a lot of the folks out there look at you with that blank why are you not gaming stare, the one with a little bit of drool coursing down the one side of their chin, because they've been gaming, and not eating or bathing. But I ultimately decided I'd rather travel or buy groceries or something, than pay $300 for a video card.  :D I ended up with a Celeron cpu and an old used HDD for less than ten bucks. That's just me.  ::)

EDIT: I didn't mean to cast aspersions on the gaming community. It was a joke!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 06:30:24 pm by cfx795 »

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 07:42:57 pm »
I think I'll take one from the loft over at work where they discard all the used computer components when they get new ones. I hate paying for keyboards.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 08:24:38 pm »
WHAT, you can play games with keyboards ? .. Which port of the Xbox do they plug into ?

Next they'll be making games for PC's and ruining them as perfectly good productivity machines ::)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 02:22:57 pm »
WHAT, you can play games with keyboards ? .. Which port of the Xbox do they plug into ?

Next they'll be making games for PC's and ruining them as perfectly good productivity machines ::)

Ugh. Sarcasm. WHAT a wet blanket. We were all having such a wonderful time gaming and you just. Wow.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 02:31:35 pm by cfx795 »

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 10:42:27 am »
Your cool gaming keyboard doesn't suck as much as this one  8)

Built-in Keylogger Found in MantisTek GK2 Keyboards—Sends Data to China  (November 07, 2017)

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 02:59:48 pm »
Hah! Yeah and really it's not that bad. I've since tried another used keyboard with sort of mushy keys, and decided it has its merits. It's cool, for instance...