Choose style:

Author Topic: Is LXDE Evolving Into LXQt Over Time? [SOLVED]  (Read 7775 times)

Online perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo que adora Peppermint.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin (64-bit)
Re: Is LXDE Evolving Into LXQt Over Time? [SOLVED]
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2014, 08:16:57 pm »
Hello chubbychops,

Thanks for sharing with us the tricks on how to give Peppermint 5 an LXQt desktop environment if we decide we want to give LXQt a spin in Peppermint.

As you said,  "Lxqt doesn't look that much different to what we have already with peppermint 5."

I've come to the conclusion we're not gaining much of anything by switching over to LXQt.  I figure Lubuntu will get there eventually, and, by then, LXQt will probably be more polished than it is right now.

Still it can be fun to check these things out.  I did something similar at Manjaro.  I concluded I prefer Peppermint's version of LXDE better than Manjaro's version of LXQt.  LXQt felt rough around the edges to me.  I can manipulate the tools I want on our panel better in Peppermint than the LXQt panel in Manjaro, and I can see our clock better here in our Peppermint panel too.

Here are my scores:

Manjaro's LXQt:  Very Good.

Peppermint 5:  A+ ... and a keeper!  ;)

Thank you,

perknh

We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters...
-- AndyInMokum

Offline blue4meridian

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2014, 08:01:51 pm »
Salutations...

@ chubbychops... LxQt seems interesting because of the combination of Wayland/Qt without Gtk.  In Linux aside from PcMan (Gtk) the main apps (at least in a pure Qt world) are Qupzilla, QtEmu and Qtparted (perhaps also QtBittorent).  Forgot to mention Texmaker, Smplayer and Qmmp.  I read the LxLe (which Peppermint could take tips from) FAQ which identifies the difference between a light and a minimal OS.  It basically is... "minimal" is a tiny OS with small apps.  "Light" is a small OS with > small apps.  I see "light" as striking a balance not as compromising using bloated tradeoffs.  With LxQt you get a better Gui under the hood balancing speed, resources and rendering (Wayland).  Add Qt apps and you have the future of where Linux Gui is heading anyway.  The devs @ Siduction (Slax) are flirting with what Trolltech envisioned years ago.  I wish I could say the same for Enlightenment it's slightly on the heavy side but still amazing.

Is it possible you could give a link to your remix iso?

Best Regards...
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 11:32:43 am by blue4meridian »

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 - 64 bit
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2014, 04:55:13 pm »
When I was still running Peppermint 4 I installed the Mate desktop, just to see what it was like. Brought back fond memories of my time spent with earlier versions of Ubuntu.

It is great being able to customize your software and environment.
Running Peppermint 8- 64 bit on my Lenovo i3 laptop.

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com