Choose style:

Author Topic: Trouble loading Peppermint 8. (SOLVED)  (Read 2325 times)

Offline cfx795

• cab driver and computer novice
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
Trouble loading Peppermint 8. (SOLVED)
« on: October 26, 2017, 05:10:04 pm »
I'm trying to load Peppermint 8, and the problem I'm having is that if I try P8 without installing (or if I install it) I get the big beautiful Peppermint logo, but nothing else. No menu, no clock, no American flag. If I right-click on the mouse I get the menu that says Create New Folder, Create New Document, Open in Terminal, etc. But no menu, clock, connection status, etc. I tried downloading the iso directly, and then I also tried the bit torrent. I also tried loading it with unetbootin, and the Disk Image Writer, and I've tried two or three different USB's. Any ideas? Thanks.

Update: I loaded Peppermint 7, no problem. So I'm currently running Peppermint 7. I guess I'd like to upgrade to P8 but there are worse problems. Hell, I was happy with Peppermint 2!  ;D I guess I haven't (yet) tried to download the Peppermint 8 iso from P7 and try that, although I'm not sure why that would matter... I'm running out of ideas.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 12:02:35 pm by cfx795 »

Offline emegra

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 64bit
Re: Trouble loading Peppermint 8.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 05:22:45 pm »
Hi cfx795

It sounds like it's just the panel is not loading

I'm not sure if this will work but it won't do any harm to try

open the terminal Ctrl+Alt+t

then run

Code: [Select]
xfce4-panel

see if the panel shows up at the bottom of the screen

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 05:23:22 pm »
So the panel is present but it's empty ?

did you check the MD5 checksum of the ISO to make sure it's not corrupt ?

Does running:
xfce4-panel --restart
make any difference ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 05:27:32 pm »
ok. I read all the stuff about the md5 checksum and it sort of baffled me and I have to admit I don't understand it. I opened up a terminal and tried it but I think I entered it wrong or something, I don't remember the response I got from the computer was something to the effect that I'm an idiot and I should try again, or go back to school or something.

I'll try again. I'll try some more. Thanks.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 05:33:01 pm »
put the PM8 ISO on a Linux Desktop .. and run;
md5sum ~/Desktop/Peppermint-8-20170527-amd64.iso
then check the md5 in the output against
cfeca56f0f082bb9d8c93b6cadfb4d78

did they match ?

Note - the above md5 checksum is for the 64bit Peppermint 8 ISO

If you're checking 32bit PM8 ISO, or are doing it on Windows let us know.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 05:35:53 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 06:12:52 pm »
OK. So I downloaded the 64-bit Peppermint 8 iso. I ran the checksum in the terminal, and the numbers match.

So then I made the bootable USB, there are a couple or maybe three different options. I haven't loaded unetbootin on this OS - yet. I think it was USB Image Writer. I booted to the USB, and still all I get is the Peppermint 8 logo, but not anything else - no panel, I guess. I opened the terminal and xfce4-panel gives me "There is already a running instance."

There's no way to restart the computer from this screen, so I have to kill it from the power switch, but upon rebooting to the USB, there's still the same problem.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 06:33:34 pm »
Erm, could this be some weird resolution issue or monitor scanning size issue where the panel is there but off the bottom of the screen ?

Is this a desktop or laptop ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 06:48:35 pm »
Yes, I wondered about that, also, and I played with the monitor controls a bit, esp. vertical. But I didn't get anywhere with it.

It's a desktop computer. A Benq 22" monitor - GW2270. It's brand new. It's an ASRock B250 PRO4 motherboard, 8GB DDR4 2400 RAM, Intel Kaby Lake Celeron CPU. The HDD is the only sort of antiquated part of the whole thing. A 40GB SATA HDD.

I could try those settings again on the monitor. I'm running Peppermint 7 on this same desktop computer right now and it works fine. Strange thing is, I thought the same thing about monitor settings or resolution, but odd that it works with Ubuntu 17.10, Debian 9-point-whatever and also Peppermint 7. I've had all three of those OS's working fine on this machine. I don't remember how I did it but somehow I ended up with a shutdown/reboot screen and it showed all the stuff from the panel that was missing. But I don't know if I can replicate that. I couldn't access any of it, the menu or anything else, but it showed all of it when I got that shutdown/reboot screen.

Beats me. I'm rather baffled.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 06:52:20 pm by cfx795 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 06:54:05 pm »
Would be interesting to hit Ctrl+Alt+T to open a terminal then run a full system update and see if that helped .. but it's only going to work on an installed system (something I guess you don't want to try now you have PM7 installed).

And it'd also be interesting to know if you move the mouse down to the bottom right as far as it will go .. then right-click .. do you see the clock preferences dialog pop up (but cut off).

Also does hitting the Windows key pop up the whiskermenu ?

Have you tried opening a terminal with Ctrl+Alt+T and running:
lxrandr
then changing the screen resolution (or refresh rate) ?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 07:00:23 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 07:08:28 pm »
Hmm... yeah. Is there a lot of difference between the two - P7 and P8 - or is it more like minor tweaks? Because I'm happy with PM7, it just sort of nags at me and baffles me that PM8 doesn't just load right up, and all those other OS's did... I had thought about just leaving Ubuntu installed, it's alright, but I guess I'm not crazy about the desktop, and same with Debian. Debian worked quite well, but it's not really for novices, and I wanted to load the Chrome browser, and it's largely like terminal commands if you get into something that isn't pre-installed, and I'm not really very adept at the terminal. But yeah they say Debian is really stable, and that's the sense I got of it in the short while that I used it. My point is I've sort of been through the gamut, here, since I finally got this desktop up and running a couple days ago, and I still came back to Pepperment. That xfce, that's the name of the desktop, isn't it? Because I like that quite a bit. Just the simplicity of the thing, although I do need to reorient myself with it.

Anyway, I'm rambling. I'm happy to do that full system update you just mentioned, maybe not tonight. I dunno. I mentioned the HDD that I put in this machine... ugh. It's from like 2005. It's actually quiet, but really slllloooowwww. So like the installations are. Yeah. I'd pull out my hair if I had any! :D We needs a new SSD, precious, we wants it!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 07:11:49 pm by cfx795 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 07:15:06 pm »
I added some stuff to try in my last posting .. maybe try the stuff that doesn't require an install (so can be tested from a LiveUSB session) first.

[EDIT]

The main differences between PM7 and PM8 can be seen here:
https://peppermintos.com/2017/05/peppermint-8-released/
but if you're happy with PM7 there's absolutely no need to go to PM8 .. they're both supported until 2021

Or just wait a month or so for the PM8 respin to be released and see how that goes ;)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 07:18:52 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 07:24:01 pm »
OK, Mark. I'll try that stuff you mentioned. Yeah I wouldn't be nearly as weary of installing if I didn't have this Flintstones HDD. It was a cost-saving measure, you know? Oy. I should have gone without a few groceries... hah hah. Actually it's not that bad like just cruising the web, I think that's all about the RAM, right? But installing anything of any size is painful. I know I can access the terminal, though, in the live session, so I'll try this stuff an get back with you. Thanks for all your help!

ps: It's just weird... am I the only one having this issue? How could that be?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 07:28:20 pm by cfx795 »

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 07:31:43 pm »
The main differences between PM7 and PM8 can be seen here:
https://peppermintos.com/2017/05/peppermint-8-released/
but if you're happy with PM7 there's absolutely no need to go to PM8 .. they're both supported until 2021

Or just wait a month or so for the PM8 respin to be released and see how that goes ;)

Roger, all that. Well, then I'm not gonna go all bananas trying to install PM8, maybe until I get some sort of SSD. I do have a life, you know!

I mean. Sort of.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 07:34:10 pm by cfx795 »

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2017, 06:07:03 am »
ps: It's just weird... am I the only one having this issue? How could that be?

Someone reported a similar issue once but I think it was with Peppermint 7. We never could get enough info from the user to diagnose the problem.

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
Re: Trouble loading Peppermint 8. (SOLVED!)
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2017, 11:50:51 am »
Would be interesting to hit Ctrl+Alt+T to open a terminal then run a full system update and see if that helped .. but it's only going to work on an installed system (something I guess you don't want to try now you have PM7 installed).

And it'd also be interesting to know if you move the mouse down to the bottom right as far as it will go .. then right-click .. do you see the clock preferences dialog pop up (but cut off).

Also does hitting the Windows key pop up the whiskermenu ?

Have you tried opening a terminal with Ctrl+Alt+T and running:
lxrandr
then changing the screen resolution (or refresh rate) ?

OK, so I never got around to trying the full system update, negative on the whiskermenu, also negative on trying to mouse over where the clock should be.

HOWEVER: I opened the terminal and ran lxrandr, and started tinkering with the stuff you mentioned. Under display settings it says "The following monitors are detected:"

And then there's DP-1 and eDP-1. And then there's position (on left, on right, above, below), resolution (auto, or maybe 1920x1080) and refresh rate (auto, 60Hz, and eDP-1 has a setting for 59.93Hz). So...

Position for eDP-1 was set to "on left." I have no idea why it wouldn't have been set to "default" like DP-1, but that did the trick. I set it to "default" and hit "apply" and the whole desktop panel reverted to how (I'm sure) it's intended to be, with the menu, and clock and volume and connection status and "install peppermint" icon.

Huh. So I think this is (SOLVED!) I was going to save the monitor settings as default, auto and auto for position, resolution and refresh rate, respectively, unless you tell me otherwise. I don't understand why it detects two monitors, there's only one, connected to the VGA cable that came with the monitor.

So I think I'm about to install Peppermint 8. Thanks for your help. Hey before I install, how important is that "Encrypt the new Peppermint installation for security?" and what about the LVM option? I'm the only one here that's going to be using this computer, so is encrypting the new installation just going to give me another password to contend with?

Thanks so much for your help. I'll wait until I hear back before I actually proceed with the install.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 12:10:07 pm by cfx795 »