Choose style:

Author Topic: shutdown/reboot launchers  (Read 604 times)

Offline DAMIEN1307

• non illigitamus carborundum est
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8.5 (Respin) 64 bit
shutdown/reboot launchers
« on: October 27, 2017, 10:46:13 am »
hi PCNetSpec...since oct. 2016 till now, i have converted a total of 65 computers to linux systems...50 of them in various flavours of mint and the other 15 to peppermint since ive only just recently discovered you folks and the fine OS that is peppermint...the one thing i have done on everyone of those computers, for ease of operations for the OPs that own them is to install launchers on their panel/task bar for Shutdown and Reboot so rather than clicking menu-then the log off then their pick of shutdown or reboot...3 clicks just to shutdown or reboot...(the most common things my users do), all they have to do is a one click from the panel to perform theses operations...they have ALL asked the same question..."if you can do this so easily, why cant these buttons be there by default, out of the box on operating systems"...i admit ive always thought that same thing myself...so i ask you now...is this perhaps something you may well consider for future iterations of peppermint..."be the first on your block" to do it lol...just a thought...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

Offline pin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: shutdown/reboot launchers
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 11:00:57 am »
That's funny ... cause that used to be the first thing I removed from all the DE's. Now that I'm on Peppermint I don't have to do that anymore...
Just saying

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 12:22:47 pm »
they have ALL asked the same question..."if you can do this so easily, why cant these buttons be there by default, out of the box on operating systems"...i admit ive always thought that same thing myself...so i ask you now...is this perhaps something you may well consider for future iterations of peppermint

Not really for a couple of reasons...

a) There is limited space on the bottom panel, so it seems kinda pointless to duplicate functionality from the menu there .. in fact we had a long discussion about exactly this when planning Peppermint (because early versions had a shutdown button) and decided against it.
(fine for people with large screens, but they can always add it .. not so cool for people on say a 10" netbook)

and

b) IMHO they're more dangerous than useful unless clicking them also triggers some kind of "Are you sure?" dialog (which kinda defeats the 'less clicks" point) .. I'd hate to loose unsaved work by an accidental click ;)

[EDIT]

I must also admit to being in the same camp as pin where a shutdown panel item is concerned .. I used to immediately remove them after installation :)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 12:26:16 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Bigoeuf

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8 & 7 (64bit)
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 05:38:06 am »
IMHO they're more dangerous than useful unless clicking them also triggers some kind of "Are you sure?" dialog (which kinda defeats the 'less clicks" point) .. I'd hate to loose unsaved work by an accidental click
Yep agree with that as its happened to me  ::) So just edited the my Shutdown button that I had installed in my panel using this post:
https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,5881.htm

So that the command is:
Code: [Select]
peppermint-logout

as opposed to:
Code: [Select]
poweroff
;)

Offline DAMIEN1307

• non illigitamus carborundum est
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8.5 (Respin) 64 bit
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 06:31:28 am »
hi bioeuf...i looked at the launchers that you created in the link you provided and was looking at the code used in the shutdown which interested me in the fact that its amazing to see that there are a variety of ways to achieve the same thing...(by the way ive never accidentily hit the button possibly because of just where i locate them on the panel bar so will keep them as is lol)...the commands i use are..."shutdown -Ph now"...for full shutdown and..."shutdown -Pr now"...for reboot...works flawlessly...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 07:13:33 am »
I think simply hitting the power button to bring up the peppermint-logout dialog is the quickest way to get there.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec