Choose style:

Author Topic: No ethernet connection. (SOLVED)  (Read 1912 times)

Offline cfx795

• cab driver and computer novice
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
Re: No ethernet connectivity.
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2017, 08:49:14 am »
Just an update. Contacted my ISP and got a completely different response from this agent, than the other one, earlier. Her take was: well, it would appear to be something wrong with the gateway modem. And I said yes, I agree. And then she said well we offer free modems, but not gateways. I said that's fine, I can set up my own wireless network, a wireless router can be had for relatively cheap, and I've have better luck with separate devices, as opposed to these "gateway modems." She said: yes, that's why we've also gone to separate devices...

So she arranged so that I can pick up this new modem down at the Charter Communications office, yet today. I'm trying to get someone to give me a ride down there later this morning. If this works, I'll order a wireless router. Hopefully this works. Thanks for your help, Mark. Or should I say "PCNetSpec?"

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2017, 10:04:37 am »
Great news, I think the new two separate device setup is a better way of doing things .. though it would be nice if the ISP provided both.

Thanks for your help, Mark. Or should I say "PCNetSpec?"

I'm happy with either my mate :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2017, 05:25:17 pm »
Yet another update... still working on this thing. I have the new modem, and sadly I have the same issue with both modems. One thing I notice is that in the mobo BIOS there's something called "internet flash" and you click on it and I guess it updates the... whatever. Internet thingy? Well I guess updates the drivers. Anyway, if I disconnect the ethernet cable from the mobo, and click on this internet flash, it says "no internet connection" and when I reconnect it it flashes the BIOS 10% 20% etc... your internet connection is up to date or maybe it says your BIOS is up to date, I don't remember. The motherboard bios seems to be accessing an internet connection.

After getting nowhere with the second modem, I began to think that the motherboard was defective, but now I'm wondering if maybe the mobo is just not playing nice with P6 - or at least this installation of P6. I'm not sure I can vouch for the integrity of the installation medium. I'm thinking about getting a bootable usb from this Shop Linux Online. Maybe Ubuntu 17.04 or Debian or something. Ubuntu strikes me as a little more user-friendly. Peppermint is pretty much based in Ubuntu, isn't it?

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2017, 06:10:45 pm »
But I thought you said it wouldn't connect to a Chromebook via ethernet either ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2017, 06:38:46 pm »
But I thought you said it wouldn't connect to a Chromebook via ethernet either ?

Well not unless I misspoke, or perhaps misunderstood something you had asked; the Chromebook doesn't have any ethernet port. Just wireless. By the way, Peppermint is still my preferred distro, I just thought the bootable usb would make my life easier in my present sort of predicament.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2017, 09:37:55 pm »
Have you no other PC you can test the ethernet ports of thee router with ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2017, 12:54:11 am »
Have you no other PC you can test the ethernet ports of thee router with ?

Right. This is all I've got. The Chromebook and this new build.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2017, 09:31:01 am »
i't going to be impossible to know for sure whether it's the router ports then.

Have you another old router you can attach the Peppermint PC to (don't worry about attaching it to the net), so you can see if it picks up an IP via its DHCP server and can ping the router ? .. this would at least prove whether the network card in the Peppermint PC works.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2017, 10:52:28 am »
i't going to be impossible to know for sure whether it's the router ports then.

Have you another old router you can attach the Peppermint PC to (don't worry about attaching it to the net), so you can see if it picks up an IP via its DHCP server and can ping the router ? .. this would at least prove whether the network card in the Peppermint PC works.
No spare router, at the moment sorry. I might get one for the spare modem (probably spare) I acquired from my ISP over the weekend. Insofar as spare-this and spare-that for testing, I'm sort of stuck at the moment. Eventually I will probably have my own little computer workshop, here, but that's not where I'm at right now. I ordered an Ubuntu 17.04 USB from the Linux Online Store last night, I'm going to see if that works, priority mail, should be here by mid-week. If that doesn't work, I might order that router and try the pinging bit. Btw, I did have this *new* modem connected for a very short while yesterday, and got the same non-connectivity with the new-build PC as with the other gateway modem. When I realized it still wasn't working, I had them reconnect the gateway modem, since I need it if I'm to have any internet connection with my Chromebook.

Anyway. I think I'll get it, it seems sort of like a process of elimination. At least I still have internet on the Chromebook, so I'm not completely stuck. ;) Thanks for all your help and ideas, and taking interest in what must seem a rather strange predicament...

Oh yeah. I did also create support ticket with ASRock (the mobo mfctr). I don't know what fruit that might bear. No response yet, but I just created the ticket yesterday. Maybe I'll have the thing fixed before I hear from them. We shall see.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 11:54:45 am by cfx795 »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2017, 01:16:15 pm »
If the separate modem wouldn't connect to the router, it's highly likely it's the router at fault .. but likely isn't the same as proof :(
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 02:03:48 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9 (64bit), P 9 R
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2017, 06:50:17 pm »
Hi cfx795, sounds like you're in quite the pickle. Is there anyone close by that you could take the tower to, a friend or neighbor, to connect to their modem? This may be the only way to rule out a bad mother board. I've had thunderstorms with lightning take out my network card. Short of that, a usb wifi dongle could prove the card or modem condition, providing you get a good dongle.
What was I thinking?

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2017, 06:58:38 pm »
Wifi dongle won't tell us if the ethernet ports on the router or PC are at fault ;)

Though it would certainly work around it.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
Re: No ethernet connectivity. (SOLVED)
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2017, 04:31:49 pm »
I received an Ubuntu 17.04 USB on Wednesday from Shop Linux Online, loaded Ubuntu, and it has since updated to 17.10. I have an ethernet connection, and I tried Debian also, and no further further problems getting an internet connection. Maybe I had a corrupted iso and installation of P6. I think this issue is resolved, so I'm going to indicate that in the subject heading. I'm having another issue, but I think I should create a new thread. Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 05:00:51 pm by cfx795 »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2017, 05:29:05 pm »
It's possibly a kernel regression in whatever kernel PM6 has .. you could always try a later kernel.

Have youj tried PM7 or PM8 ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2017, 06:31:20 pm »
Yeah I'm running PM7 now, no problems. Having a rough time installing PM8, but that's a separate issue, not to do with the LAN port or internet. Discussing it in a separate thread - as you know. But really no further problems with the LAN/internet issue.