Choose style:

Author Topic: No ethernet connection. (SOLVED)  (Read 2597 times)

Offline cfx795

• cab driver and computer novice
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
No ethernet connection. (SOLVED)
« on: October 20, 2017, 07:15:15 pm »
So I just fired up a new computer build with (mostly) new components. I loaded Peppermint 6. The problem I have is that it it does not seem to recognize my modem or any connectivity. Shows "not connected" to the internet. I have the ethernet cable connected at both ends and it's lit up at both ends, but the desktop indicators show no connectivity to the internet.

It's a Motorola SBG6580 Gateway Modem.

Probably something to do with a modem setting. I'm not sure I've ever used the ethernet ports on this modem, just the wireless, which seems to work fine.

Any ideas? Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 09:32:49 am by cfx795 »

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Re: No ethernet connectivity.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 08:13:54 pm »
Don't mean to be rudimentary, but make sure you're plugged into the LAN ports. Some routers/modems have ports marked WAN, Internet, and so forth, and those are usually for some sort of proprietary nonsense, that I never have had any success using. I've accidentally done this many times, and it results in no connection.

If you've already tried using the LAN ports only, please ignore the above  ;)

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 08:30:54 pm »
Well they have a little emblem there that I take to mean they are LAN ports. But aside from that there's nothing else, just numbered 1, 2, 3 and 4. None of them seem to be working. Well, they light up when I plug in the cable that goes to the port on the motherboard, but the desktop indicator just shows no connection.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 08:54:19 pm »
Does any other PC plugged into the router work ?

Have you tried restarting the router ?

And have you tried another ethernet cable ?

Because first we need to discover if the problem is the router, the cable, or the PC.

[EDIT]

Also, do you know the local IP address of your router ? .. probably something like 192.168.0.1 or similar.

and what's the output from:
Code: [Select]
ifconfig
and
nmcli device status
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 09:07:11 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 09:03:58 pm »
Does any other PC plugged into the router work ?

Have you tried restarting the router ?

And have you tried another ethernet cable ?

Because first we need to discover if the problem is the router, the cable, or the PC

[EDIT]

Also, do you know the local IP address of your router ? .. probably something like 192.168.0.1 or similar.

Right. Yes, I have tried restarting the modem/router (it's a combination - "gateway modem" I think they call it) and yes, I do have the IP address and I'm logged into the router from my Chromebook. Yes, I have tried another ethernet cable. But I have yet another cable that I'll try, also... I don't have another PC or other device with a LAN port. I'll try the other cable. Thanks.

I've tried three different cables, I don't think it's the cable. My hunch is that it's the modem.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 09:07:46 pm by cfx795 »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 09:09:39 pm »
So you can log into your routers web interface (settings) from a web browser (on the PC that's connected via ethernet cable) ?

What is your routers local IP ?  <-- giving this is not a security risk.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 09:11:39 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 09:14:14 pm »
So you can log into your routers web interface (settings) from a web browser ?

What is your routers local IP ?  <-- giving this is not a security risk.

Right. Real close to what you suggested it might be: 192.168.100.1   I'm logged in from my Chromebook, the wireless seems to work fine, but not the LAN ports. I have the results from the peppermint terminal when I input ifconfig, but it's a bit long, do you need the whole thing?

I don't think I can log into the router from the browser on the machine connected to the LAN. I get nothing.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 09:18:21 pm by cfx795 »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 09:17:17 pm »
On the PC that's connected via ethernet cable, do you get any ping returns from:
ping -c 5 192.168.100.1
?

Or does it give you 5 lines of "host unreachable" ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 09:20:23 pm »
On the PC that's connected via ethernet cable, do you get any ping returns from:
ping -c 5 192.168.100.1
?

Or does it give you 5 lines of "host unreachable" ?

Just one line: Network is unreachable.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 09:25:51 pm »
and you're POSITIVE 192.168.100.1 is the routers IP ?

You can check this on your Chromebook by entering

in the Chrome address bar and hitting enter

Does this take you to the routers login page ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2017, 09:30:43 pm »
and you're POSITIVE 192.168.100.1 is the routers IP ?

You can check this on your Chromebook by entering

in the Chrome address bar and hitting enter

Does this take you to the routers login page ?

Well, I am positive that 192.168.100.1 takes me to a router login screen, yes. I presume it's mine? Yeah the MAC address is the one on my router. Must be mine...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 09:34:16 pm by cfx795 »

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 09:37:54 pm »
I can log into it. What I mean is that, upon logging into it, under "status" that's the model# of my modem, and the serial number and mac address all match. Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's my modem.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 09:44:42 pm by cfx795 »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2017, 09:50:42 pm »
Okay I'm Googling a TON of reports of similar weirdness on that model of router.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=SBG6580+ethernet+ports+not+working

Some people say restarting the router with the coaxial cable removed kicked the ethernet ports into life, others suggest a device reset works.

My problem is I can't advise either because I have no idea if your ISP would bitch about removing the coaxial cable (probably not, but I just don't know) .. and I have no idea if resetting the router to defaults would require you to know a login/password to reconnect afterwards.

So I'm not sure how much help I can be here

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2017, 09:58:23 pm »
Okay I'm Googling a TON of reports of similar weirdness on that model of router.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=SBG6580+ethernet+ports+not+working

Some people say restarting the router with the coaxial cable removed kicked the ethernet ports into life, others suggest a device reset works.

My problem is I can't advise either because I have no idea if your ISP would bitch about removing the coaxial cable (probably not, but I just don't know) .. and I have no idea if resetting the router to defaults would require you to know a login/password to reconnect afterwards.

So I'm not sure how much help I can be here

Well that's alright. It's late here and you're sort of confirming what I suspect, which is that it's the router, or the ports on the router or something. I've had other modems/routers before this and they all worked fine with my hardware/software etc.  I did try a reset, but not with the coax removed. I might try that. I was actually thinking I might have to bring my service provider in on this. This isn't the device they issued, I got it... I don't remember, but I suspect I've never even used the LAN ports on this thing, just the wireless. Thanks. I'll keep you posted if I get it.

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2017, 07:32:55 am »
So... I've been on the line (live chat) with my ISP. Of course, this representative thinks it's something to do with my computer or motherboard or something. Personally, I suspect the motherboard is fine and that, rather, it's the damn gateway modem that everyone else seems to be having issues with. He asked if I had properly installed all the ethernet drivers, to which I replied that I hadn't installed any drivers. Well, that could be it, he said. (I don't think it is...)

Of course, I don't have a disc drive. I could get one, but then isn't this disc that came with the motherboard a Windows file?  Or is it? I looked on the ASRock (motherboard) site and downloaded something called the "App Shop" but that does look to be an .exe file which probably doesn't help me much. Furthermore, I think it's a waste of time, I think it's the modem.

So. I don't know. I've only had this gateway modem since February of this year, and I don't think I've ever even tried to use any of the LAN ports, just wireless. Before that, I had just the basic motorola modem and separate wireless router, which, for all the wires and cables, worked flawlessly with my hardware, including desktop computer and LAN ports and etc, etc.

I'm not sure exactly what to do next, of course I could talk to another rep with my ISP and get an entirely different answer, that's always a possibility. I was trying to get to the point where they might send a technician out and bring a new modem, even if I have to lease the thing, that's fine.

Or, I could just go online and order a new modem. I would be inclined to order separate devices - a modem, and then a wireless router, which is the setup that worked well for me before, until I decided gee-whiz what I really need is a modem/router combo. One power cord, and one-fewer ethernet cable... yee-haw! (stupid!)

I dunno. I'm close to ordering a new modem. But I probably haven't exactly used the scientific method to eliminate all other potential conflicts or issues.

btw: I never really thought it was any problem with the OS. I had this Peppermint 6 usb, I hit F2 on the keyboard and... I don't think I ever really even had to do anything, it sort of loaded itself, very smooth until I got to the internet part. So I mean, the computer setup was pretty seamless, everything booted, loading the OS was almost automatic. I don't think I even had to change any settings on the motherboard or anything. I'm just sort of stuck on this ethernet thing is all.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 07:44:04 am by cfx795 »