Choose style:

Author Topic: Which code-editors are good for Linux/Peppermint?  (Read 2372 times)

Offline Klipper

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
Which code-editors are good for Linux/Peppermint?
« on: July 03, 2014, 03:54:09 pm »
I'm a webdeveloper who works very much with code (HTML, CSS, Javascript, XML, Less etc).

Since I changed OS of my Acer Aspire One ZG5 from Win XP to Peppermint5 I cannot use my favorite code-editor on Linux anymore (Webuilder)

So my question: what's best code-editor for Linux/Peppermint5 which can edit online files with FTP too?

Any suggestions?

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Which code-editors are good for Linux/Peppermint?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 04:10:36 pm »
I'm not a coder as such, but I gather Eclipse has s/ftp for online editing .. and/or there are plugins available for Sublime Text
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 07:38:58 pm »
So my question: what's best code-editor for Linux/Peppermint5 which can edit online files with FTP too?

Any suggestions?

I can tell you what I do, but I'm oldskool, so you probably won't like it.  Raw code, baby!  :D

I simply go into my remote server(s) via SFTP, and whatever file-manager is handy (PCManFM is my current favorite) and use GEdit.  I prefer something with syntax highlighting, but any UTF-8 compatible text editor will work for me.

I'm sure someone will come up with a more eloquent app...

Offline Klipper

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 08:28:58 pm »
Thanks for reactions.

@PCNetSpec
I worked with Eclipse once on Windows, but that IDE never became my favorite.

@VinDSL
I always write "raw code"  :D I've not tested GEdit, so I cannot give an opinion about, but after Googling a few hours I found a lot of positive reactions about Bluefish editor. I installed Bluefish, and I'm really surprised about the build in features. I created (s)ftp connections (bookmarks) in PCManFM, and now I can open complete online projects, just the way I want.

The only drawback I found till now is the ugly interface(s) (yes I know you can customize a lot), but this is not a specific Bluefish issue, but a more generic problem for all Linux applications. But never mind, I will find the ways to hack the interface so it gets the look I like... ;)

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 08:55:58 pm »
I always write "raw code" [...]

The only drawback I found till now is the ugly interface(s) (yes I know you can customize a lot), but this is not a specific Bluefish issue, but a more generic problem for all Linux applications. But never mind, I will find the ways to hack the interface so it gets the look I like...

Yes, you'll do just fine -- I can tell by your response(s).

The beauty of Linux is you can make it look any way you want. 

Really, beautifying the UI (ugly interface, LoL) isn't much different than (re)designing a website.  You'll see.   ;)

Offline Klipper

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 05:09:32 pm »
I always try to beautify interfaces... :)

But because I'm new to Linux/Peppermint it will take some time to find the correct files to edit, and the tools to do it/find them. (Like Firebird in Firefox for webpages). But we will learn... And otherwise, I found here a great forum to ask... ;)

Offline nberidze

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 10:22:24 am »
I'm not a programmer as such, but I have found some of the tools useful for other purposes, and I want to mention two programs that are available in Peppermint that you might want to take a look at.

They are meld and diffuse. Basically, advanced graphical versions of the diff command. To me, they are useful for comparing two texts, let's say if you think someone has altered a text (not a program but for instance a blog post), and want to check the difference between two versions of what should have been two identical texts.

I see they also support CVS and Subversion and other version control systems. Good luck.  :)

Offline kendall

• Developer
  • Peppermint Dev
    • View Profile
    • http://kendallweaver.com
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 11:46:53 am »
I spend an inordinate amount of time writing and editing code these days. For quick, simple stuff I use Gedit as it's simple to use, feature-rich for a text editor, and cross platform. Up from there I use Geany as it's a bit more robust when it comes to features and helps me stay organized a bit better. Also recently I've been using Anjuta a bit as it's reasonably similar to Geany but has excellent support for a bunch of different types of projects, notably Vala which I've been meaning to do a lot more of.

My honest opinion is that unless you have specific needs of a particular IDE, then stick with Gedit and move to something else as your needs change.
Co-Founder and CTO of Peppermint. Developer, Photographer, and spicy food lover.

Peppermint is powered by VPS.NET Cloud Servers.

Offline dsplayname

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 04:34:11 pm »
I don't do a whole lot of coding, and it's pretty much just html and css when I do any.  I usually use Gedit(or whatever basic text editor is on hand) for super simple quick stuff, and Geany for anything more than 5 minutes. Love Geany for it's color editor and "replace" tool.   I have tried Atom a little bit, but it is slow to load and has different features than what I normally use. I think it's more for writing real code and app development.
freedom defined is freedom denied