Choose style:

Author Topic: peppermint 8 very intuitive  (Read 769 times)

Offline DAMIEN1307

• non illigitamus carborundum est
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8.5 (Respin) 64 bit
peppermint 8 very intuitive
« on: October 20, 2017, 02:16:30 pm »
hi folks...not a newbie to linux since i am a lm 18.2 cinnamon user but have found and used peppermint on a 10 yr old eee pc netbook and have also installed peppermint 8 on 14 donated lenovo thinkcentre tower computers m57 m57e and m58 series that i then donate to school kids that otherwise wouldnt be able to have one of their own for school work...after already using linux mint systems in various flavours, i just found mint xfce to be somewhat wanting and found peppermint 8 to be much more intuitive and for the users intended, it was much easier for them to use as well...since i do not use nor trust cloud usage, i found it quite easy to just "sudo apt purge ice" as well as "sudo apt purge nemo-dropbox" on all of these systems after making sure that these students would not be using cloud services...also quite easy to hide the varied "google services, firefox etc. as well"...ive also changed browser preferences by using .deb to download both the slimjet and opera browsers and installing the https://www.startpage.com/ search engine as the opening page for both...they are much faster then the out of the box chromium in all of these systems ive installed peppermint 8 in thus far...so all i did thereafter was the usual "sudo apt purge chromium-browser" and have had nothing but a delight in using this version of linux...i have been reading your forum for sometime now and thought i would now make an appearence as well as letting everyone know what a superb system peppermint 8 is for lower powered systems...(i will still be using LM cinnamon for my high powered systems though lol)...both iterations are extremly fine operating systems in their own rite, its just what is right for the particular system hardware that it will be used on...looking forward to being able to contribute whatever info i can for the forum here in future and will advidely be reading the posts...thanks again...DAMIEN...ps...the only thing i find annoying is the ant-spam guard as im not used to seeing this on the linux mint forums lol
ORDO AB CHAO

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Re: peppermint 8 very intuitive
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 02:20:34 pm »
Welcome aboard, Damien!  :)

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 02:45:54 pm »
Hi Damien1307,

Welcome to the forums.  Glad to see you are having a good experience using Peppermint OS.

Jump right into the forums. The more the merrier.  No question is too small and no problem too big. (Well most of the time  :D )

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 04:14:41 pm »
Welcome to the forum DAMIEN1307 :)

The "anti-spam guard" is really just a "first post approval" thing to stop spambots signing up and spamming, it gives us a chance to delete spambot spam and blacklist the spambot without forum members having to be bothered by it. Once we're sure you're human and approved your first posting you shouldn't see the captcha again :)

The system isn't too intrusive (just your first post) and works surprisingly well. It just seems better than removing spam 'after the fact' if you get my meaning :)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 04:19:19 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 04:31:31 pm »
The "anti-spam guard" is really just a "first post approval" thing to stop spambots signing up and spamming, it gives us a chance to delete spambot spam and blacklist the spambot without forum members having to be bothered by it.

Might mention, sometime these bots never leave posts. They start spamming users with PMs. Better to get rid of them before they worm in.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Offline DAMIEN1307

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 06:14:11 pm »
ah ok great lol...i had visions of having to go through the spam guard everytime...thanks for the heads up that i wont have to see that one again lol...great work here you guys...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 06:47:07 pm »
BTW, great to see you're supporting kids with their education .. brilliantly done my friend, and we're super stoked you chose Peppermint as the OS :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline DAMIEN1307

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 04:45:30 am »
using peppermint was the best fit for the lenovo thinkcentre towers which only has an intel dual core cpu and just 2 gigs ram...i knew that a full blown LM cinnamon 18.2 would be too heavy an OS for these boxes and i already knew that the cpu was known for slightly higher heat generation than most computers out there...mint xfce is not as easy to navigate through to its many settings to customize the system,and peppermint 8 was just right...sounds like goldie locks and the three bears here lol, but it is a perfect fit,they all snap along real nice with instantaneous response...very impressive results...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO