Choose style:

Author Topic: Installing P8. Just Ruminating.  (Read 880 times)

Offline cfx795

• cab driver and computer novice
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
Installing P8. Just Ruminating.
« on: October 14, 2017, 01:01:24 am »
I haven't really gotten around to installing the Peppermint OS, because I have a few components left before my home build computer goes "live." Motherboard, CPU, RAM and drive of some sort, is all I need. I purchased a monitor last night. Anyway. I'm really just ruminating about the OS installation.

I *think* I have a bootable P6 usb. The only device I have available right now is a Chromebook. I put this usb in my Chromebook and looked at it, and I imagine it will work, I imagine I used it before to load Peppermint 6... a couple years ago or whatever.  It looks like a duck, smells like a duck, feels like it, etc... So that would be my sort of roundabout means of loading P8, if it works. That should work.

Otherwise, there are some other distros that have the bootable USB's for... you know. $15 plus shipping, I think? Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, Xubuntu, etc. I think that was Shop Linux Online. That could be another sort of roundabout way to get up and running with (ultimately) P8.

Otherwise my Dad's got my old (well, you know, they get "old" so fast) Linux machine with P7, and I might be going back there for Thanksgiving (Nov23 or 26 or something) and I could easily make the bootable usb then. That's about a four hour drive from here. That would be my more or less *direct* means of loading P8.

There are some friends here in town that, if push came to shove, I could probably sit down with their Windows or Mac system and figure out just how to make the usb on one of those systems. But they haven't any clue what I'm doing or what I'm even talking about, so I'd really rather not. The one friend I'm thinking of would give me a blank stare, and the other would probably have a nervous breakdown. He does this even without me tinkering with his computer.

None of this is particularly a big deal or problematic, I'm just pondering how I'll go about the thing when it comes about. I vote for using Dad's computer which is running P7... seems like the best option. I have no problem doing whatever I feel like doing with that computer. Technically it's not mine, but it's pretty close... Maybe I'll make a trip down there just for the hell of it, and make the bootable P8 usb. Like before Thanksgiving.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: Installing P8. Just Ruminating.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 11:44:24 am »
As long as P6 is still bootable, you shouldn't have any issues getting the P8 .iso file onto a USB drive using the USB Image Writer.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Installing P8. Just Ruminating.
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 06:05:53 pm »
Or if you have ANY bootable Linux LiveUSB, you can always use 'dd' to write a Peppermint ISO to another USB stick
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec