Choose style:

Author Topic: Sometimes I Don't Know Why I Bother...  (Read 491 times)

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
Re: Sometimes I Don't Know Why I Bother...
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2017, 11:45:33 am »
We should go submit that to the Urban Dictionary.

Been awhile:  https://goo.gl/omDjsk   ;D

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 (64bit)
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2017, 01:35:32 pm »
Done :)

Awaiting peer review.

Hoppertitus

A contagious [malady] that spreads between [Linux] users, causing them to continually hop from one [distro] to another in search of operating system perfection or purely for [geek] gratification.

example:

Dude, you have a serious case of distro hoppertitus.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 01:38:42 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline zebedeeboss

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P8 x64 (Main) and P8 x64(Laptop)
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2017, 01:49:11 pm »
So, I don't know why I bother trying other Linux distributions sometimes.  (and I don't even do it often)  Stuff that  just works in Peppermint requires some hair pulling to get working or just flat out doesn't work in other distributions.  ::)

Hi,  I ALWAYS ask myself that question (incurable Distro Hopper  ::)) and ALWAYS come back to Peppermint.

Regards Zeb...

Well, I never left Peppermint.  It's still my everyday OS.  I have a small partition set aside in case I want to try other distributions.  Mostly, the partition just sits there unused.  Yesterday, I decided to try something, but Peppermint was still where it was supposed to be. :)

Oh don't get me wrong, Peppermint never leaves the PC or the Laptop.  I just install something alongside it.
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P8 x64 Desktop - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA GTX1060 6Gb - 43" 4k 3840x2160
P8 x64 Laptop - Intel(R) Dual Core i5-4200U - 8Gb RAM - Intel Integrated Graphics - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 & 8 64 bit
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2017, 01:55:44 pm »
Done :)

Awaiting peer review.

Hoppertitus

A contagious [malady] that spreads between [Linux] users, causing them to continually hop from one [distro] to another in search of operating system perfection or purely for [geek] gratification.

example:

Dude, you have a serious case of distro hoppertitus.

I used to have that.  Peppermint pretty much cured me.  ;)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2017, 02:12:31 pm »
I can honestly say I've never suffered from it .. When I got into Linux I tried a few, settled on Ubuntu (because the others were awful at the time), then Peppermint when Ubuntu went to Unity.

Since then I've never felt the need to move. Of course i now 'test' out other distros for ideas but I've never felt the need to keep even one.

Guess I'm hoppertitus immune.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline acer

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 64bit
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2017, 02:58:21 pm »
Ha, I was diagnosed with OCDH (obsessive compulsive distro hoppertitus) a few years back, went to the doc's and was prescribed Peppermint..Cured!
Curiosity gets the better of me via distrowatch..just looking doc, honest  :D

Offline grafiksinc

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2017, 12:15:58 am »
Yeah I have to say I don't really suffer from it unless I get pushed away  :'(
I started with Ubuntu until they began changing the 'X' from the right to the left of the window panes.
Then I hung around Linux Mint for a long time, but they started to feel bloated with each release. And the hacking incident about  a year or so ago was my excuse to jump  :P

I almost moved in with Ubuntu-Mate--- but found Peppermint just in time.  8)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 & 8 64 bit
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2017, 04:42:10 pm »
Well, I removed KaOS.  I'm sure it's a nice enough distro, if you don't mind limitations.  Since they have no 32-bit software at all, apps with 32-bit dependencies won't even work right.  That includes WINE, so obviously not a project aimed at Windows users.

Speaking of WINE, I had a pretty big mess in my Peppermint install between WINE and POL.  I could have cleaned it all out, but I decided a reinstall is faster, and it gets rid of my GOG games too.  I hav a dedicated gaming machine, so I don't need that stuff on my desktop.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2017, 08:42:14 am »
"Hoppertitus" was finally published in the Urban Dictionary :))
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Hoppertitus

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 64bit
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2017, 09:39:10 am »
I used to suffer from Hopperitis in fact I had it quite bad for a while, but I quickly realised that one distro (with a few exceptions) was rarely better than the other and they could all do pretty much the same things, run the same software and look exactly as I want them to look, but what I found really sets them apart is community, community is every bit as important as what file manager, init system or DE it adopts and this community is by far the best I've ever been involved with by a mile.

I know if I have a problem I can come on here and I'll get the help I need quickly and no one will mock me or make a fool of me even if I've done something stupid or asked a stupid question

Hopperitis is a bit like nicotine addiction it never really goes away it's always there ie right now I have a craving for a KDE distro I've been fighting the urge for some time but I've managed to resist because I've tried KDE before and it's never worked for me but I can't help thinking the next time it just might

Peppermint KDE ?

Graeme

If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline pin

• Peppermint User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 Respin (64bit)
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2017, 09:39:36 am »

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk

Offline zebedeeboss

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P8 x64 (Main) and P8 x64(Laptop)
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2017, 10:30:08 am »
I like the challenge of getting them to match up to Peppermint in every area.

Not found one yet... a few have come close but no 1st Prize...

That belongs to Peppermint.

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P8 x64 Desktop - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA GTX1060 6Gb - 43" 4k 3840x2160
P8 x64 Laptop - Intel(R) Dual Core i5-4200U - 8Gb RAM - Intel Integrated Graphics - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline Matthew

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2017, 03:38:29 pm »
If I have one regret it is that I chopped my drive up into multiple partitions to install various Linux systems.  I had some vacation time coming and the weather report was all kinds of lousy, stay indoors.  Since I was doing a fresh install of everything and kicking my corrupted Windows to the curb I decided to chop up and install a few different systems.  It seemed like a cool idea then. 8)

Fedora had some problems during some updates and I couldn't get it to boot up anymore.  Manjaro was fun for a while but it's rolling release updates ALWAYS give me a hair pulling kind of headache but never the same issues twice. >:(  I think there is a fourth system sitting there but it must not be very exciting because I can't recall the name without going to look. ;)  Peppermint has been my main system since 4 came out.  I don't even bother booting into any of those other OS so they just sit there taking up space on the drive.

My carry around machine is an 8 year old Acer netbook with a 32bit architecture and my quest for a small, fast system to run on it landed me on Peppermint.  I liked it so much I installed it on my desktop.  Every experiment with other distros gives me enough headache to cure me for a while.  I shop distros the way I shop online.  I look at all the neat stuff for my truck and decide I don't really want to spend money on something that works well enough without my messing around.