Choose style:

Author Topic: Sometimes I Don't Know Why I Bother...  (Read 495 times)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 & 8 64 bit
Sometimes I Don't Know Why I Bother...
« on: October 11, 2017, 05:09:04 pm »
I was looking at DistroWatch Weekly the other day, and they did a review of KaOS, an independent Linux distribution that has a rolling release structure, uses KDE Plasma 5 as its desktop and is exclusively 64-bit.  By focusing on one desktop and one architecture, you have to figure that helps them keep their repositories manageable.  Anyway, I've tried KaOS in the past, but it's been a while, so I decided to give it a go again as a fun side project on my day off.

So, I downloaded and installed it and was having a pretty good time. I started putting my software and stuff on there, including my main art programs, Blender for 3D, Inkscape for 2D and GIMP for image editing and other cool stuff.  One thing that's cool about Blender is that, for the past few versions, it's supported GPU rendering, allowing you to use the CUDA cores in your GPU to drastically speed up render times.  This makes sense, as GPUs are built for gaming and can render images in real time, much faster than a CPU can do it.  So, I was getting Blender all set up and I went to the thing in the user settings where I can activate that great feature, only to see it's not there.  :-\  I had my  Nvidia driver installed, I installed the Nvidia settings tool to make sure it's properly detecting my GTX950 and, sure enough, it's good to go.

So, I rebooted into Peppermint 8, downloaded the latest version of Blender from the website, and went about extracting it and setting it up.  Sure enough, there's my option for activating the CUDA rendering in GPU mode.  Both are running Blender 2.79, so that's not the issue.  Back to KaOS, played around with more settings, still no joy.  So, I don't know what's up.  Maybe Blender doesn't like the newer driver that KaOS has, maybe it's something with the way it's implemented in the system, I don't know.

So, I don't know why I bother trying other Linux distributions sometimes.  (and I don't even do it often)  Stuff that  just works in Peppermint requires some hair pulling to get working or just flat out doesn't work in other distributions.  ::)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 (64bit)
Re: Sometimes I Don't Know Why I Bother...
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 05:12:43 pm »
What, the Kidlington Amateur Operatic Society have released a Linux distro?, well I never....
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 05:18:57 pm »
Of course not, the "a" isn't capitalized.  :P

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 05:21:14 pm »
My apologies...

What, the Kidlington amateur Operatic Society have released a Linux distro?, well I never....

Or is it an operating system by Ford ?
(now that's what I call brand diversification)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 05:28:19 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 05:26:28 pm »
I don't know, dude.  Some people in the US started it, that's all I know.  I've tried it a few times now and every time I do, I find something that conflicts with how I do things in Linux.

Hell, all it takes is a couple drunk guys to start a Linux distribution.  Just ask Kendall and Shane.   :D

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 05:28:56 pm »
LOL :))

Not sure how comfortable I'd be with a rollling OS that uses a word play of "chaos" as there name ???

Where Peppermint is spicy, long lasting, cool, and refreshing :)

From their website it **looks** like KaOS are rolling their own kernel (and other packages), so maybe they've not enabled something Ubuntu have ? .. just thinking out loud.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 05:36:19 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 05:36:31 pm »
The only thing that even slightly attracts me to rolling distributions is not having to download new software versions from the web or wait for the next release version of the OS for newer software.  For example, the version of Blender in the Ubuntu 16.04 is almost two years old and they've added a lot of new features since then.  However, if it doesn't work right, then there's no reason for the rolling distribution and I can always download the latest Blender from their site.  Since it's open source, it's simultaneously released for a lot of operating systems, and the source code is available too.  8)

Not sure how comfortable I'd be with a rollling OS that uses a word play of "chaos" as there name ???

A little Khaos is never a bad thing.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 06:03:20 pm »
I guess if you lie that in it's side it'd also be a rolling distribution :))
(look mom, I made a funny)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline grafiksinc

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 07:53:51 pm »
Have you guys heard of this distro. - Emmabuntüs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmabunt%C3%BCs

I did not try this but I saw a Youtube review about it.
The ISO is 3.7  GB
They installed every possible piece of software imaginable  :-\

I agree anything can be a distro now days. 

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 08:26:44 pm »
I've heard of it, but never tried it, and I guess there's little point now with the latest version being based on Ubuntu 14.04

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline zebedeeboss

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P8 x64 (Main) and P8 x64(Laptop)
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 08:29:01 pm »
So, I don't know why I bother trying other Linux distributions sometimes.  (and I don't even do it often)  Stuff that  just works in Peppermint requires some hair pulling to get working or just flat out doesn't work in other distributions.  ::)

Hi,  I ALWAYS ask myself that question (incurable Distro Hopper  ::)) and ALWAYS come back to Peppermint.

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P8 x64 Desktop - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA GTX1060 6Gb - 43" 4k 3840x2160
P8 x64 Laptop - Intel(R) Dual Core i5-4200U - 8Gb RAM - Intel Integrated Graphics - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 08:52:13 pm »
Peppermint is "home".

If we ever get a Peppermint laptop off the ground I should make it so the "Home" key reinstalls Peppermint from a hidden partition :)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 09:06:18 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline grafiksinc

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 09:43:48 pm »
I have to say I am going on my one year anniversary with Peppermint it's been a really good breath of fresh air.... ;)
Every time I  start to get distro hoppertitus I think about the problem free year I have had, and it usually takes care of the symptoms. 8)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 05:58:59 am »
Wow, I can find no Google results for "distro hoppertitus" (no matter how you spell it) :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 09:30:59 am »

Hi,  I ALWAYS ask myself that question (incurable Distro Hopper  ::)) and ALWAYS come back to Peppermint.

Regards Zeb...

Well, I never left Peppermint.  It's still my everyday OS.  I have a small partition set aside in case I want to try other distributions.  Mostly, the partition just sits there unused.  Yesterday, I decided to try something, but Peppermint was still where it was supposed to be. :)