Choose style:

Author Topic: Bad case of dropsy  (Read 2404 times)

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
Bad case of dropsy
« on: October 06, 2017, 02:13:34 pm »
Hi guys

My daughter has a WD Elements 1tb portable HDD (spinning disc) that she uses for her work (School teacher) and has on more than a few occasion dropped it and now surprise surprise it wont open., I can hear it spinning when I plug it in but it just won't mount lsusb sees the drive when it's plugged in but nothing shows up in fidisk.

It looks kinda terminal to me but I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks I could try that might get it to open I only need it to open once and stay open long enough to move her files off

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Bad case of dropsy
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 02:34:42 pm »
I take it you've tried it on another PC / OS / Windows ?

And was it ON when it was dropped ?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 02:39:53 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 02:44:41 pm »
Hi emegra,

The only trick I ever saw work was an IBM engineer - who got a disk working just long enough to get the data off.

He held it in both hands like a prayer book and making sure he didn't drop it he threw his hands forwards and down in a quick harsh chopping motion.

He said it could sometimes help free the arm long enough and sure enough it did.

Might be worth it as a last resort if no one comes up with anything less strenuous.

Regards Zeb...
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 03:26:19 pm by zebedeeboss »
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 03:18:10 pm »
I take it you've tried it on another PC / OS / Windows ?

Well she couldn't open in her work PC which is Windows but she did say it was making a clicking noise,  I have it now in my PC (PM8) and all I'm getting is a spinning noise with a constant light, the spinning noise stops after a few minutes but the light remains on

And was it ON when it was dropped ?

No on no occasion she dropped it was it connected

@zeb
Thanks for your advice I'll give that a try but due to the violent nature of that technique I'll leave it as a last resort thank you :)

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 05:27:06 pm »
I'm wondering if it's not the drive as much as damage to the USB to SATA board in the casing .. maybe you could crack the case, extract the drive, and attach it either internally (via SATA) in a desktop PC or in another external USB HDD enclosure.

And next time, if this thing gets moved around a lot, get her an external SSD which not only can take a drop better but isn't going to break your toes on the way down ;)

You can always get a smaller external USB 3.0 SSD for mobile use, and back it up to the larger external HDD which stays on the desktop at home .. HDD's are rubbish for mobile use for exactly the reason you've just discovered.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 06:21:00 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 06:07:09 pm »
I'm wondering if it's not the drive as much as damage to the USB to SATA board in the casing .. maybe you could crack the case, extract the drive, and attach it either internally (via SATA) in a desktop PC or in another external USB HDD enclosure.

That's what I was going to suggest.

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 01:46:34 am »

I don't think that's an option unfortunately.
 I removed the drive from the enclosure and there's no visible sata connection and it doesn't look possible to remove the controller board from the drive, in other words it's not simply a sata drive inside a usb enclosure it's actually a usb drive

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 07:02:01 am »
Hmm .. I've never seen that before :-\

Is there a model number on the drive ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 09:34:25 am »
If it was me, all things considered, I'd remove the cover and see if the arm is stuck.

I'd carefully move the arm, to make sure it has free motion over the entire disk, then try to power it up with the cover removed, and watch what it's doing.

If you get lucky, and it starts working temporarily, I'd rescue any data I could, and give it a toss when I'm done tinkering.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 11:02:08 am »
Well as it looks like a bin job anyway, I'd be at the point where I'd try the 'knock it, shake it, take it apart' things myself.

When you're resigned to "nothing to loose", there's something liberating about getting brutal with hardware.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 11:48:31 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2017, 05:11:36 pm »
Thanks for all your help guys I tried everything possible, tapping it on a hard surface from every angle imaginable, eventually I removed the cover which had to be drilled as it's riveted, the head seemed to be parked in the right place but then it stopped spinning so I just gave up

I felt from the get go it was a lost cause, I'll get her a new drive but unfortunately I can't get her data back, I feel sorry for her there was some important stuff on it but at the end of the day she really needs to learn to backup

anyway thanks for you help guys it's much appreciated

Graeme

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 01:42:59 pm »
I think I found the solution, Graeme... https://goo.gl/LEsz3f   8)

EDIT

I don't know how much they cost in th UK, but they're on sale here for $60 USD (1TB ver)

EDIT II

« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 01:58:46 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 01:32:57 am »
Hi Vin

Thanks for that,

Her birthday is coming up in a few weeks so I think you've found the perfect gift for her :)

I can't see that particular model available in the UK but there are plenty of alternatives such as this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silicon-Power-Military-grade-Shockproof-Water-Resistant/dp/B01EYY47M4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509341122&sr=8-1&keywords=shockproof+portable+hard+drive

Here's a question I feel a bit stupid asking but I honestly don't know the answer
Would that HDD which is is USB3 work plugged into a USB2 port ?

Graeme

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 03:53:59 am »
Hi Vin

Thanks for that,

Her birthday is coming up in a few weeks so I think you've found the perfect gift for her :)

I can't see that particular model available in the UK but there are plenty of alternatives such as this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silicon-Power-Military-grade-Shockproof-Water-Resistant/dp/B01EYY47M4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509341122&sr=8-1&keywords=shockproof+portable+hard+drive

Here's a question I feel a bit stupid asking but I honestly don't know the answer
Would that HDD which is is USB3 work plugged into a USB2 port ?

Graeme

Hi emegra,

Yes it would but it would drop down to USB2 speeds

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2017, 04:54:15 am »
Hi emegra,

Yes it would but it would drop down to USB2 speeds

Regards Zeb...

Thanks zeb
I kinda thought that's how it works but the real reason I asked was I have a USB3 port on my PC and nothing works in it, that said I don't have any USB3 devices to try but I've tried a few USB2 flash drives and none of them work it won't even charge my phone

Graeme