Choose style:

Author Topic: new home-built linux desktop  (Read 2838 times)

Offline cfx795

• cab driver and computer novice
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
Re: new home-built linux desktop
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2017, 11:56:47 pm »
So, right off the bat, putzing around on Amazon, I see a 60GB SSD that uses MLC NAND, and a 120GB SSD that utilizes (3D) TLC NAND, but wait, that's not all! "SLC cache technology."

Yet another 120GB SSD uses MLC NAND.  So yeah. Wow. Then you got 3D NAND and V-NAND, and ouch I think my brain hurts. So in other words, this is a pretty complex equation, insofar as how long your SSD might actually last. Wouldn't the real nitty gritty of the thing boil down to the p/e cycles, and not necessarily all the other stuff? Seems like you might have to go to the manufacturer's website for that info, because I don't see that information in the product listing on Amazon. (I haven't really looked on Newegg.)

I'm glad you talked about the free space on the drive, because I remember seeing that when you're setting up your drive with the Peppermint OS, where it asks you to leave some free space, and I never really knew what I was doing, or how much free space I should allocate... so you're saying roughly 6GB on a 60GB drive, 12 on a 120, 24 on a 240, etc...

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2017, 03:03:02 am »
I was looking at a tiered SSD list. I've heard a lot about the Samsung 850EVO. Seems to be what every tech nerd wants for Christmas these days, better than the Daisy Ryder BB Gun. But they're a bit $$. The MyDigitalSSD BP5E sort of piques my curiosity, the 240GB unit. Or the Hynix sl308, maybe the 120GB drive.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/762237-droidbots-sata3-ssd-tier-list/

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2017, 03:23:28 am »
Hi cfx795,

Judging by the things you have mentioned about your personal usage (i.e., not a power user, no windoze, probably no games, etc.) then I think that you do not need to fry your brain with the technical aspects and details of the different SSD products that are out there.

The simplest (and probably safest) thing to do is just to consider two factors: the length of the warranty (Samsung looks to be among the best here, at least for their top models) and the price. When you find the best combination for your situation then go for it!

And, of course: Enjoy your blazingly fast Peppermint 8 !!  8)

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2017, 02:08:59 pm »
Get an 850 Pro and you'll have a 10 year warranty (or twice the warranty of an EVO).
http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/support/warranty.html

That right there is the reason I nearly always get 850 Pro's

Though in truth most modern SSD's are going to outlast an HDD and/or the PC you put them in without any special treatment .. it's not like the early days where they wore out without special treatment.

But sure if you're rich you can get an enterprise grade SLC SSD if you wanna go mad .. although there's some evidence they're no more reliable in the real world than MLC anyway:
https://www.techpowerup.com/220432/high-end-slc-ssds-no-more-reliable-than-mlc-ssds-google-study
or if you wanna trudge through the actual study report:
https://www.usenix.org/system/files/conference/fast16/fast16-papers-schroeder.pdf
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 02:29:53 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2017, 03:20:28 pm »
My goto site: http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/

Nuff said?  ;D

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2017, 03:25:25 pm »
Beware of counterfeit and gray market items. Buy from a reputable dealer.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2017, 04:00:32 pm »
Though I use that site a LOT, in this case I disagree with their "value" rating, IMHO twice the lifespan/warranty and better performance for just 24% extra (based on the 250/256GB models) makes the PRO better value than the EVO .. just my opinion though ;)

Quote from: VinDSL
Beware of counterfeit and gray market items. Buy from a reputable dealer.

Agreed .. the warranty ain't worth owt if it ain't real :)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 04:07:41 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline cavy

• Trusted User
  • Caveman
    • View Profile
    • PeppermentOS Pixies
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Eight
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2017, 06:59:02 pm »
IMHO twice the lifespan/warranty and better performance for just 24% extra (based on the 250/256GB models) makes the PRO better value than the EVO .. just my opinion though ;)

Haven't used the sammy PRO, I'm using sammy 850EVO in my i7 towers, no complaints. HyperX seem to be as good, in my better lappy's. Drevo X1 are more than adequate in my old Dell Optiplex i5 2nd gen intel SFF.

That is to use your unscientific approach BOSS.    :D

« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 07:01:59 pm by cavy »
“We know what we are, but not what we may be.”

Desktop Dell 7040 i7-6700 500Gb-SSD 32Gb ram
Laptop    Dell 7470 i5-6300 500Gb-SSD  16Gb ram
Various antiques to sample other OS's etc

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2017, 07:27:32 pm »
Since I will likely have the M.2 NVMe interface in a brand-new motherboard maybe I will go with that. There's this Corsair unit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MQU72O9/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Samsung seems to have longer warranties, maybe I should get the 960EVO. I'm just sort of ruminating, here. I have plenty of time, I'm still pondering the cpu/mobo/ram. Intel just released Coffee Lake. Maybe I would consider an i3, which is now
quad-core... or wait until they come out with the Coffee Lake Pentiums (the Kaby Lake Pentiums were newly hyperthreaded).
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 07:32:32 pm by cfx795 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2017, 07:40:09 pm »
Personally I wouldn't go less than 240GB for the wear levelling benefits mentioned earlier.

and I'd still go SATA 850 PRO .. the NVMe 950/960 PRO's only have a 5 year warranty, and the EVO's 3 years.
(the Corsair Force Series MP500 only having a 3 year warranty)

I always get 850 PRO's where I can afford the little extra, and Crucial where i can't (for the power loss protection) .. I have no idea if power loss protection actually works as I've lost power on 850 PRO's without any problems and they don't have it, so who knows...

I only go for 850 PRO's because I figure if Samsung have enough faith in them to offer 2 to 3.3 times the warranty (TBW or time) of either their or anyone else drives that says something.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 07:45:46 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2017, 08:07:39 pm »
Personally I wouldn't go less than 240GB for the wear levelling benefits mentioned earlier.

and I'd still go SATA 850 PRO .. the NVMe 960 PRO only has a 5 year warranty.
(the Corsair Force Series MP500 only having a 3 year warranty)

I always get 850 PRO's where I can afford the little extra, and Crucial where i can't (for the power loss protection) .. I have no idea if power loss protection actually works as I've lost power on 850 PRO's without any problems and they don't have it, so who knows...

I only go for 850 PRO's because I figure if Samsung have enough faith in them to offer 2 to 3.3 times the warranty (TBW or time) of either their or anyone else drives that says something.

Yeah, 10-4. I agree, that 10yr warranty is in a league of it's own compared to other manufacturers. The industry standard appears to be about 3yrs. I'll put this 850 PRO 240GB at the top of my list. Maybe a tad more than I had originally hoped to spend, but you make a really good point. Between now and the holidays, perhaps I can find that specific unit on sale or something . Amazon and Newegg both have it for about $130 right now. With regard to the M.2 units, I get the impression from reviews and user-reviews that they are somewhat untried and untested, if not even a bit more fragile than the SATA SSD's. It was sort of like this with the PSU I ended up buying... no one else was offering that (Seasonic) 7yr warranty.

One other thing that I'm taking my sweet time building this machine. Part of it's just buying components as I have the cash on hand, but also taking my time and getting it right... if I purchase some component today and don't take it out of the box until Christmas or something, it sort of eats into the manufacturer's warranty... so, yeah, better to have a longer warranty.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 09:02:51 pm by cfx795 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2017, 09:00:38 pm »
The 850 PRO is 256GB not 240 .. I just used 240 as the smallest I'd go for if I were choosing another make/model ;)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2017, 09:03:41 pm »
The 850 PRO is 256GB not 240 .. I just used 240 as the smallest I'd go for if I were choosing another make/model ;)

Roger. I noticed that.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 10:37:06 pm by cfx795 »