Choose style:

Author Topic: Trouble booting my old iMac  (Read 1585 times)

Offline kimtoufectis

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
Re: Trouble booting my old iMac
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2017, 10:52:27 pm »
I appreciate the guidance but, well, nope.

I tried the first part of your directions and it seemed to work, so I tried the second part...and hashed the OS.

So out came the P8 DVD-ROM, and an hour later I was back up and running on a fresh install.

Fortunately my software installs are basically plank and Kodi; with those exceptions Chromium is pretty much my swiss army cyber-tool...

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2017, 01:32:40 am »
What command actually broke your system? I use these commands on a regular basis and nothing ever broke for me.
I'm sorry that this happened to you, though  :'(

There are a few differences between PM7 and PM8, one of the major ones is related to the kernel. PM7 is on the 4.4 LTS series, while PM8 has a "rolling kernel" that eventually will become LTS when Ubuntu get's there.
So, keep an eye on your kernels now that you are on a fresh install  ;)

As mentioned, I only keep 2 kernels at any given time, but others will recommend 3 or 4. More than that is, IMHO a bit too much  :)

As for your 32bit system, it will be supported for a few more years. Ubuntu has dropped support for it in the new releases, but you will have it supported until April 2021.
Hope you enjoy your new, clean and lean system up to then.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 04:56:52 am by pin »

Offline kimtoufectis

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2017, 09:20:59 am »
There are a few differences between PM7 and PM8, one of the major ones is related to the kernel. PM7 is on the 4.4 LTS series, while PM8 has a "rolling kernel" that eventually will become LTS when Ubuntu get's there.
So, keep an eye on your kernels now that you are on a fresh install  ;)

As mentioned, I only keep 2 kernels at any given time, but others will recommend 3 or 4. More than that is, IMHO a bit too much  :)

I can't say what broke it, since I ran them together.

I don't have the skills to follow your advice about keeping or tossing kernels.  When the system tells me to update, I update.  The system doesn't tell me I have extra kernels other than by failing to boot properly.

I guess the way I will follow your advice is to reinstall.  [This is a bad system, but I want to use P8, not learn how to track linux kernels.]

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2017, 11:56:07 am »
Let's try to keep it simple then.
When you do your updates, do you check what they are?
If so, you will see when kernel updates are taking place.
When these happen and after they are finished, run
Code: [Select]
sudo update-grub
and reboot.
If everything works as it should, then the new kernel is not causing you any issues.
If so, run
sudo apt-get autoremove
followed by
sudo apt-get autoclean
That's it! That's the simplest way to do it. You can still break things, since you will only have one kernel but, well... you can always re-install anyway.
Good luck! Please, let us know whenever  :)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 03:15:32 pm by pin »