Choose style:

Author Topic: Network Bottleneck (SOLVED)  (Read 1071 times)

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
Network Bottleneck (SOLVED)
« on: September 28, 2017, 03:07:19 pm »
Hi guys

This post relates to my last post regarding static IP addresses, and not truly a Peppermint problem but I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction as I've been at this for weeks and getting nowhere.

Currently I have a homemade NAS running Openmediavault to store things like video, photos, music etc connected to my router via ethernet with a static IP address also connected to the LAN is 2 PC's (one running PM7 the other PM8) and 2 old Xboxes I've softmodded to run XBMC which I use to stream media from my NAS to my TV & sound system  via SMB and for the longest time it's worked flawlessly, but recently playing video in particular but also playing music has become very unstable and constantly crashing also I've noticed transfer speeds to and from the NAS is painfully slow, changing the file shares from SMB to UPNP did help a lot but didn't solve it completely.

As it is and as it's always been the NAS is connected directly to the router via an ethernet cable , the router is connected to the LAN via a homeplug, the 2 PC's and the Xboxes are also connected via homeplugs so all machines can connect to the NAS and see each other

After a lot of trial and error I discovered if I took the ethernet cable from the NAS and connected directly into one of the spare ports on the homeplug (the same homeplug the router is connected to) the problem is solved, video streams perfectly to the Xboxes and transfer speeds are as much as 7 times faster.

So it looks like there's some problem in the router but I've checked all the settings in the router and I can't see anything I can change that might solve the problem, I would be happy just to leave it as it is but the only problem is if the NAS is not connected to the router I won't be able to connect to the NAS via wireless which I sometimes want to do with my laptop.

So if anyone has any ideas how I might solve this problem I would be very grateful

Graeme

« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 05:19:45 pm by emegra »
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Network Bottleneck
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 03:57:49 pm »
I take it you've tried moving the router connection to the homeplug to the known good port .. to rule out a duff port on the homeplug ?

And have tried a different cable.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 04:09:00 pm »
I take it you've tried moving the router connection to the homeplug to the known good port .. to rule out a duff port on the homeplug ?

In a way yes
I've tried a different homeplug
to begin with the homeplug I used for the router was single port I since changed that for a multiport plug to allow me to plug both router and NAS together as they're positioned next to each other

And have tried a different cable.

No I haven't tried that but the way i have it wired now ethernet is working perfectly so I've no reason to suspect there's anything wrong with the cable, but I'll try it anyway and post back :)

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 04:15:27 pm »
So ethernet speeds that don't go to the NAS (such as a file transfer between 2 PC's connected via ethernet cables) is quick enough .. it's just the NAS and router that don't seem to like each other ?

Has the NAS got a static IP ?

Have you tried the NAS in a different router port ?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 04:19:21 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 04:48:55 pm »

So ethernet speeds that don't go to the NAS (such as a file transfer between 2 PC's connected via ethernet cables) is quick enough .. it's just the NAS and router that don't seem to like each other ?

I'm sorry if I'm not explaining this well

If I have the NAS connected directly to an ethernet port on the router files transfers to and from the NAS from a PC on the same LAN are slow and video streaming on the Xboxes is unstable and crashes constantly

However if I remove the NAS ethernet cable from the back of the router and plug it directly into a homeplug (the same multiport homeplug the router's pluged into) everything works perfectly

Now I was convinced that although that solves the problem that I couldn't possibly have a wireless connection to the NAS because the NAS isn't physically connected to the router but as it turns out I do, I just tried it on my laptop so in effect everything is fine now but I still think it should work just as well with the NAS connected to a port on the router

Graeme

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 04:57:14 pm »
That's what I meant by it just being the router and NAS that don't seem to like each other.

You're right, it "should" work plugged into the router.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 05:03:30 pm »
That's what I meant by it just being the router and NAS that don't seem to like each other.

Yeah you're right that's it in a nutshell they just don't seem to like each other at all the thing is is it ok to leave it the way it is now ?

Graeme

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 05:05:36 pm »
I also meant to say in the last post

I don't understand why I'm getting a wireless connection to the NAS when it's no longer physically connected to the router and has no wireless interface of it's own  :-\

Graeme

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 05:08:55 pm »
Yeah it'll be fine, the homeplug (having more than one port) is simply acting as a network hub .. I was going to suggest getting a cheap network switch but as the homeplug is effectively doing the same thing there's no need.

You're getting wireless because wirless devices can still talk to the router, which in turn can talk to the NAS via the homeplugs hub.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 05:19:13 pm »
Well it's sorted then thank you Mark

thinking back it's one of these problems that's hard to determine when it began and the more I think about it I think it began immediately or shortly after I upgraded the NAS to OMV3 but I could be wrong but it certainly used to work with the NAS connected directly to the router that's how I've always configured it

Anyway all's well that ends well I'll mark this solved and thank you again for your help :)

Graeme

Online zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
Re: Network Bottleneck (SOLVED)
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 02:05:20 am »
NP .. not that I did anything :)

But knowing you are always there for us, is for me, the most satisfying and comforting thing about Peppermint.

Thank You   :D
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Re: Network Bottleneck (SOLVED)
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 05:37:29 am »
Aw shucks, but you're most welcome :)

[EDIT]

Oops, just managed to accidentally remove the posting that said "NP .. not that I did anything :)" .. sorry bout that :-[
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 05:40:40 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec