Choose style:

Author Topic: Ruminations on a Home-Built PC.  (Read 547 times)

Offline cfx795

• cab driver and computer novice
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
Ruminations on a Home-Built PC.
« on: October 27, 2017, 02:30:43 pm »
I first built a desktop computer back in... I think 2012. It was an AMD machine with a single-core CPU. About as basic as it gets, but in retrospect, I don't know that I would encourage anyone who doesn't have at least a vague idea what they are doing (ie: me) to go straight for the i7. If you screw something up, at least you only paid... whatever. $40 for the processor. That's how I see it, anyway...

This current build: I have a nice case and a really good PSU - a Seasonic 520W fully modular unit, so I have a good basis for upgrade. The motherboard also seems pretty good, reasonably modern ASRock with the M.2 connector for the NVMe SSD interface, if I want to go that route. This is where I cut a corner: my drive. I got a 40GB HDD on eBay for $6.50 instead of what I obviously wanted which would be something MUCH faster and more modern (an ssd). But it works fine. The HDD is quiet, albeit hellishly slow for installs. I still haven't been able to bring myself to spend $200 or $300 for an i5 or i7 cpu. I once again went with the dirt-cheap Kaby Lake Celeron: $40. I got 8GB of DDR4 2400 RAM. I think it runs at 2133Mhz because of the cpu... but whatever. These things are probably more benchmarkable than noticeable to your standard computer-user.

I probably have confidence at this point to upgrade to an i5, although I'd probably handle it like it was a bit of nitro glycerine in a bomb factory. Then again, I think I'm just trying to keep-up-with-the-Jones's. The Celeron is alright. Maybe I should get a sort of mid-grade video card instead? I always end up with a bit of spare $$ or amazon gift cards at Christmastime.

After some minor issues, I am finally up and running my contraption on Peppermint 8. This is the best Linux OS I've used. I've tried Ubuntu, Mint, Debian... probably some others. Peppermint is just simple and low-bloat and easy to operate, and I intend to stick with it. It's user-friendly, and there's really good support in the community forum. I don't think I've failed to resolve an issue if I stuck with it, and followed-up and followed-through. Once you're set up, it's real easy. I really like the Peppermint desktop.

So...  in summation. I like the sense of satisfaction in building something that is tailored to my own use and needs. Perhaps it's not the HAL9000 (it doesn't talk back so much and sass) but then again it's no Commodore 64. Same with a Linux OS, I get something that is to my liking as opposed to tailored to the masses. That also pleases me.

Some thoughts going forward: Gaming? God, I don't want to go down that rabbit hole! I'll probably never crawl out of it! So given that, and I don't intend to remotely navigate the Mars Rover, maybe I can do without an i5 or $300 video card. Just upgrade to an SSD this holiday season. One of those snowball mics. Email, websurfing. Netflix, anyone? Oh yeah, baby! Well, I'm up and running on PM8. Thanks to PCNetSpec. Deserving of his "Hero" status, if you ask me!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 02:32:16 pm by cfx795 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Ruminations on a Home-Built PC.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 07:26:39 am »
First PC I ever built myself had a Cyrix 6x86 MX-PR200 (150Mhz).. shows how long ago that was :)

IIRC cheaper (relatively speaking) than an actual Intel Pentium 133/166, but still cost the earth back then, and again if I remember correctly though it was fast it wasn't 100% Pentium compatible so a few apps didn't work well (or at all)  on them.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 07:41:25 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 12:47:53 pm »
Hi,

IIRC the first computer I built was back around 1982. I'm pretty sure it was the Sinclair ZX81 and it was quite popular then (at least in Europe) and my monitor was our television. RAM-memory was something ridiculously small: 1 KB (yes: kilobyte), and I remember expanding it soon to maybe 16 or 32 KB -- but never actually needed that much!!  :D

There was no floppy drive but rather a cassette tape recorder ...

CPU was the Zilog Z80 and I played around with learning its assembly language, but most of my programming was in BASIC. I had already learned BASIC back in the 1970s so it was great fun to have a computer to program at home too!  8)

Anyway, you can read all about it in the first link above.

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline cfx795

• cab driver and computer novice
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 11:31:41 am »
Hah! I have to say this bit of historical perspective is making me feel a bit better about my Celeron cpu! I'm sure my first upgrade - when I have the funds - will be a new drive to replace this sort of antiquated thing I've got right now. Probably an NVMe SSD, as my motherboard supports it. I've never been particularly dissatisfied with a processor, but then I don't do anything much more intensive than, say, Netflix. And this cpu/iGPU has no problems with that. And maybe dual monitors. What can you tell me about running dual-monitors? Pros/cons? Minimum hardware/software requirements? Do I need a discrete graphics card? Just curious.

The PoorGuy

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 01:17:55 pm »
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 10:07:34 pm by The PoorGuy »