Choose style:

Author Topic: Why do you guys use your chosen web browser?  (Read 641 times)

Offline grafiksinc

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
Why do you guys use your chosen web browser?
« on: September 15, 2017, 07:59:02 am »
I am just curious on this subject.
I know for myself my main browser is Chromium.
I don't use hardly any add-ons just mostly privacy ones

But the reason I stay with it is... because I drank the google services Kool-aid awhile back  >:(. LOL
I use Gmail, Gdrive, hangouts etc..... and over time it just became very convenient to stick with Chromium.

I  have to assume if I ever move on to something other than Google services I may change but for now it's Chromium for the foreseeable future.

How about you guys?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 (64bit)
Re: Why do you guys use your chosen web browser?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 09:18:52 am »
For me personally it's Firefox because it renders pages 'correctly', doesn't have a memory leak every other(ish) release, has more plugins, and doesn't attempt to force Googles idea of how the web should be run down everyone's throat.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 09:48:42 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 & 8 64 bit
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 11:03:11 am »
I've been a Firefox user since version 1.  No, I was never a fan of Internet Explorer.  I had frequent crashes, so I went for Mozilla's original browser and really liked it.  When they switched to Firefox, I was on board immediately.

Lately, though, Chromium.  Why?  It was preinstalled on Peppermint 8 and I'm giving it the old college try again.  It's not too hateful, though there are still features I like better in Firefox.  At least Chromium is better than Google Chrome.  Though, I have all three installed on this computer.  I literally have Chrome solely for some pesky sites still hanging on to Flash.  Ugh.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 11:17:45 am »
Trust me, Peppermint would still be using FF if more people hadn't asked for Chromium ;)

[EDIT]

I **think** most people wanted Chromium because of page load speed, which doesn't really apply any more.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 11:19:45 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline pin

• Peppermint User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 Respin (64bit)
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 01:35:54 pm »
Firefox, always! Can't stand Chromium, chrome, Iron...
I also like PaleMoon and start to like Midori
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 01:37:31 pm by pin »

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 02:06:54 pm »
Unlike my 'normal' self, I don't feel compelled to list ALL of the reasons I've switched from Mother Chromium to her rebellious Opera offspring. I've been down this road before, going well into the last century. And, it's a great way to start a flame war...

It probably wouldn't make sense anyway, unless you're a professional psychiatrist or web developer.

Suffice to say young n' beautiful is better than old n' ugly. I judge that's reason enough for the vast majority of ordinary users. However, in a pinch, kludgey old Chromium will fit the bill for doing what's required, not to mention its unbridled and growing popularity. That's some of the reasons it's included in Peppermint, by default.

I keep Chromium around for placing online orders, then sanitize it when I'm done, and put it back in the drawer for the next time. That way, i don't need to worry about what Opera is giving up, when I turn off their free, unlimited VPN service.

I 'drank the Mozilla Kool-Aid', as you put it, for a few years, but gave up on Firefox @ ver 3.6. I've tried to love it since - really, I have - but it repulses me these days. They need to purge it and start from scratch IMO.

That said, I still love Thunderbird (basically the Firefox browser haxored into a delicious mail client suite by volunteers). OOTB it's as butt fugly as Fx, but easily corrected with the 'Theme Font & Size Changer' add-on, and various tweaks in the 'Thunderbird Preferences' section.

Chromium offshoots are the way of the foreseeable future - look at the global web stats.. Resistance is futile.

Your pick appears to be Google and friends , which I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole, but to each his own. Buy a Apple X 'smart' phone (facial recognition logon), get some microchip implants (no more credit cards and door keys needed, et cetera) and enjoy yourself.  :)

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8, 64bit
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 06:24:16 pm »
I keep Seamonkey around because I can easily check all 12 of my email accounts at once... the very small (and looking for a new home) team of code maintainers are dedicated and answer support question in their news.mozilla.org newsgroup pretty quickly... or one of Seamonkey's hundreds of thousands of fans will...

I've been playing with Palemoon as Firefox's developers nauseate me... I need Chromium (but never Chrome) around for a few things the other two won't handle...
spence
Peppermint 8 on my Antec Aria
QuadCore Intel i7-7700 rebuild

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline josephd

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
    • LinuxBookPro
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 12:49:06 am »
I used Mozilla out of my professional disgust for Internet Explorer in the early 2000s. As a web designer using a Mac at the time it was the right choice. I continue to use Firefox for precisely the same reasons. I trust Mozilla and I've trusted them for nearly 20 years.

I wonder to Vivaldi, Chrome and Chromium but I always come back to Mozilla and Firefox.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 12:58:33 am »
I'm back to Firefox also.  Certain features of Chrome/Chromium just irk me.

Offline cavy

• Trusted User
  • Caveman
    • View Profile
    • PeppermentOS Pixies
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Seven & Eight
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 10:48:54 am »

Love Chrome, Chromium, but the finite control of Firefox, in its ability to remove browsing history, cookies and cache, when I close it, wins hands down.   8)

Read some where in this forum Midori, is no longer supported. Can't say I'm gonna miss it, or shed a tear in its lament.    ;)

Opera, haven't tried it recently, but the last time out it was, was, err........  ???
“We know what we are, but not what we may be.”

Desktop Intel Quad Core i7 240Gb-SSD 16Gb ram
Laptop    Intel  Dual Core i5 240Gb-SSD  8Gb ram

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 11:03:36 am »
Opera, haven't tried it recently, but the last time out it was, was, err........  ???

Chromium ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2017, 11:48:18 am »
The last time I tried Opera it was a hot mess.  It was right after they rebuilt it from the ground up (or, at least, with the ground being Chromium) and the Linux version was many versions behind Windows.  ::)  I don't remember if I ever tried it after they caught it back up.  I never really liked that one either.

Read some where in this forum Midori, is no longer supported. Can't say I'm gonna miss it, or shed a tear in its lament.    ;)

I never really took to it.  It had some annoyances I couldn't get past, such as a horrible bookmark manager. 

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2017, 10:47:54 pm »
Love Chrome, Chromium, but the finite control of Firefox, in its ability to remove browsing history, cookies and cache, when I close it, wins hands down.   8)

Ctrl + Shift + Del is your friend, in every browser I've used...  ;)

Offline cavy

• Trusted User
  • Caveman
    • View Profile
    • PeppermentOS Pixies
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Seven & Eight
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2017, 09:27:29 am »
Ctrl + Shift + Del is your friend, in every browser I've used...  ;)

mm...Okay, will try and remember that   ;)
“We know what we are, but not what we may be.”

Desktop Intel Quad Core i7 240Gb-SSD 16Gb ram
Laptop    Intel  Dual Core i5 240Gb-SSD  8Gb ram

Offline DAMIEN1307

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): peppermint 8
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2017, 04:56:45 am »
i have used slimjet browser for sometime now as my primary browser, and manually (using the "set Page" setting) install the https://startpage.com/ search engine and then customize both the browser settings and the search engine settings using both of their settings feature...i have not found any others that are faster or more private...DAMIEN