Author Topic: PMOS8 on Asus Eee PC 900A?  (Read 1359 times)

Offline fred. just fred

• Newly Subscribed
    • View Profile
    • Running FROM Office
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
PMOS8 on Asus Eee PC 900A?
« on: September 12, 2017, 10:09:33 am »
I installed PMOS6 on an old Asus Eee PC 900A after the included OS (Eeebuntu) and its successor (Aurora) went belly up.  I liked it so much that I upgraded the netbook to 2GB RAM, 32GB HDD and new battery).  I even "decorated" the desktop per this tutorial, and the machine has been running flawlessly.  Nice UI, and a step up from tablets (IMO).

So, now I'm thinking of moving to PMOS8.  I read in another thread that the latest version has stiffer requirements, and so now I wonder if I'm wise to do so.  If my hardware supports it, I'd like to give it a go, with the following provisos:

I want to preserve my UI enhancements.  I want to preserve my xautolock.  Oh, I suppose I could rebuild/re-install them, but why?  Here's where I add a wrinkle:  I add a 16GB USB drive that I've mounted under /home/<myaccount>.  I also have a 16GB SDHC mounted under /media that contains a bootable puppy linux. 

If I create a bootable USB drive using unetbootin and PMOS8, can I preserve my settings, install the new version, and then restore?

Thanks for accommodating a stupid user.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 10:18:24 am by fred. just fred »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: PMOS8 on Asus Eee PC 900A?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 10:22:25 am »
Not really .. I mean you could save say the fstab file, and a few others but they'd likely need modifying anyway and are likely to cause as many problems as they solve.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline fred. just fred

• Newly Subscribed
    • View Profile
    • Running FROM Office
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 05:21:44 am »
I've decided for the time being to stay with PMOS6.  For starters, the MintyMac theme is no longer available (and MintyMac itself seems to have been abandoned).  I did a USB boot of PMOS8 and it seems to work okay on my Asus Eee PC, but there's nothing compelling there to cause me to want to upgrade.  Is there?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 05:38:15 am »
Well personally I'd say yes, but then I'm not you ;)
(PM6 is still fully supported, so there''s no reason to switch if you don't want to)

As an aside, you MAY be able to export the MintyMac theme from PM6 and install it in PM7/8, but there's no guarantee it'd work with the shift to a later version of Gtk.

I can always test it for you though if you'd like ?

Otherwise, happy PM6ing :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline fred. just fred

• Newly Subscribed
    • View Profile
    • Running FROM Office
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 07:07:51 am »
Well personally I'd say yes, but then I'm not you ;)
(PM6 is still fully supported, so there''s no reason to switch if you don't want to)

As an aside, you MAY be able to export the MintyMac theme from PM6 and install it in PM7/8, but there's no guarantee it'd work with the shift to a later version of Gtk.

I can always test it for you though if you'd like ?

Otherwise, happy PM6ing :)

That's a very kind offer.  I'm not sure how you would do so, or why (I imagine you'd just spin up a VM and go through the steps?).  As I mentioned earlier, this is just a sandbox project, as the Asus netbook is mostly a forgotten platform in this day of tablets and smartphones.  I just like to tinker from time to time, and it's kind of neat having a working computer that looks and acts mostly like a Mac, but isn't.  :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 09:37:15 am »
Basically I'd ask you to compress the theme folder and host it somewhere so I could download it .. then I'd test it on one of my PM8 machines.
(unless you can give me a link to where I can get the theme)

I'm happy enough to test the theme, but if you're sticking with PM6 anyway I guess it's a moot point ;)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec