Choose style:

Author Topic: No non-SSE2 browsers installed. My suggestion plus need browser suggestions.  (Read 3675 times)

Offline spaceboy

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): v8 32bit
Hi all.

I have a couple of old systems I'm cleaning up to give away with Linux on them.  I began by downloading Lubuntu, thinking it would work.  But, it's slow, plus I ran into the SSE2 browser problem.

I have an Athlon XP system with a non-SSE2 cpu.  I didn't know this at first and started pulling my hair out over it.

Before I downloaded the distro, I searched for systems that were marked as i386 or other compatible cpu, as well as "old computers", on Distrowatch.

Once I found out that the problem was the SSE2 issue, I was surprised that a distro that says it's compatible with i386 cpu's would come with browsers that don't work with it, as well as with no heads up for the user, since the browser is a critical component and also the only practical way for a new user to get help with the new install.

So, rather than trying to hunt down a non-SSE2 browser, I thought it might be better to try a distro that is fully compatible with i386, since I don't know what other software or processes depend on SSE2.

I then downloaded Peppermint and ran into the same problem as well as the software manager not functioning.  I then went to LXLE which had the same browser problem as well as some security strangeness that isn't good for new users.

So, I'm a bit flustered, because I've now tried 3 distros that are all listed as i386 and 2 of them in the category of 'old computers' on Distrowatch, but the web browser, a core component of today's computers, doesn't work.

This is a show stopper issue in more than one way, because a new user needs to use a web browser to get further support for issues like this.  This issue actually forces them to use a 2nd computer to troubleshoot the issue.

So, I would like to suggest to the Devs that they consider adding a non SSE2 browser to future releases, along with a modern browser, and a very impossible to miss installer announcement and desktop bootup caution message regarding the browser issue.

It could say something like, "If you computer is very old, you may need to use the ABC browser".

I realize that fewer and fewer people everyday are using these old systems, but it's still quite a few, and they tend to be used by poor people who can't afford anything else, and those poor people are likely to have the least amount of knowledge about such things, making it extra frustrating for them.  If you can imagine the frustration of someone firing  up their "new system" and not even being able to get on the web, I think you can understand why including a non SSE2 browser would be a good idea.

I've done some digging since and have managed to install an older Opera release that works....mostly.  I also found Firefox ESR but I get errors when trying to load it up so I've got to research that now.

If anyone has any other suggestions for non-SSE2 browsers, I'd appreciate it.  I would like to get a reliable system setup before giving these away, but if I can't, I guess I'll just give them away with no OS.

Other than this issue, it seems like a very nice Ubuntu branch.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Hi spaceboy, and welcome to the forum :)

Palemoon (based on Firefox) do a build compiled to work with SSE rather than SSE2:
ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE-Linux/

Further info can be found here:
https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?t=13530

[EDIT]

Actually Steven Pusser has already packaged palemoon-nonsse2 and added it to the Palemoon repo, so the best way to install it in 32bit Peppermint 7 or 8 would be to open a terminal and run these commands in sequence:
Code: [Select]
sudo sh -c "echo 'deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/stevenpusser/xUbuntu_16.04/ /' > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/palemoon.list"
then:
wget -nv http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:stevenpusser/xUbuntu_16.04/Release.key -O Release.key
then
sudo apt-key add - < Release.key
then:
sudo apt-get update
then:
sudo apt-get install palemoon-nonsse2
which will allow it to get automagic updates as they are released.

Repos info here:
https://software.opensuse.org/download.html?project=home%3Astevenpusser&package=palemoon

Another option (that doesn't allow for automagic updating) would be to just download the .deb from here:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/stevenpusser/xUbuntu_16.04/i386/palemoon-nonsse2_27.4.2~repack-1_i386.deb
and double-click it to install.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 03:26:30 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline spaceboy

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Thanks a bunch for the help, I'll get started on that!  :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Please let us know how it goes ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline spaceboy

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Finally got around to installing it.  It installed fine, but crashes a few seconds after loading up.  I'll head over to their forums and see what I can find.

Thanks again for the help.

Offline wiwi0815

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM7@PentiumM and PM3@PentiumIII
Finally got around to installing it.  It installed fine, but crashes a few seconds after loading up.  I'll head over to their forums and see what I can find.

Thanks again for the help.

The browser crashes because the Adobe flash plugin needs sse2 instruction code too. After you remove it Pale Moon will run well.
sudo apt-get purge flashplugin-installer

But this is only a temporary solution maybe. Palemoon 27 (aka Firefox ESR38) will be replaced by Palemoon 28 (aka Firefox ESR52) in a couple of month and the SSE2 problem could comes back again. Someone would need to compile the source code of Firefox for sse(1)-only and add it to the Peppermint repos to solve the SSE2-browser problem for SSE-only capable processors like AMD - Athlon-4 and Athlon-xp and Athlon-mp - Intel - Pentium 3 and Pentium3m - VIA - C3-2.

Quote from: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/your-hardware-no-longer-supported
The processor requirements of Firefox as distributed by Linux distributions may differ from the processor requirements of Firefox as distributed by Mozilla, so you may be able to obtain an up-to-date version of Firefox that does not require SSE2 from your Linux distribution.

Update:
The current version of Firefox ESR 52.6 still works with a non-sse2 processor. Just tested it on my PentiumIII Notebook. I've installed the version from the PPA from the Mozilla Team. Of course first you must remove the file libflashplayer.so (Adobe Flash needs sse2) if installed. Then it doesn't crash any longer. Same thing with Midori browser. When Adobe Flash is installed it crashes. After removing Flash it works. Qupzilla browser also uses the mozilla plugins. When you remove the Flash plugin then the browser is ok.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 07:28:39 am by wiwi0815 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Thanks for the info wiwi0815, handy to know ESR52 still works with sse1 if you get the right version (and ditch flashplugin.so).

Oh, and welcome to the forum :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec