Choose style:

Author Topic: Anyone here with an ASUS X205T(A) ?  (Read 496 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 (64bit)
Anyone here with an ASUS X205T(A) ?
« on: September 03, 2017, 10:55:58 am »
Anyone here with an ASUS X205T(A) ?

I'm trying to figure out if these things can boot from USB .. the interweb suggests some people have managed it if they disabled secureboot and switched the USB mode from xHCI to eHCI, but I'm having no luck getting the thing to recognise the USB stick and list it as a boot option at all.
(it won't even recognise a Windows 8.1 or 10 USB installation media created with Rufus in either UEFI or MBR for UEFI modes)

So if anyone here has manager to get one of these to boot from USB I'd like to know:-

a) which BIOS version are they using ?
and
b) how ?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 10:58:41 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline pin

• Peppermint User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 Respin (64bit)
Re: Anyone here with an ASUS X205T(A) ?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 11:14:31 am »
I guess you've already seen this, but just in case...

https://github.com/lopaka/instructions/blob/master/ubuntu-16.04-install-asus-x205ta.md

Regards

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 11:42:14 am »
Thanks pin .. yeah I've already seen that, but the BIOS on this particular lappy (BIOS version 208) doesn't recognise ANY USB stick as a boot device no matter what the BIOS settings, so I'm wondering if you need a particular BIOS version.

Like this guy needed for the ASUS X200

[EDIT]

Okay here's the back story on this ASUS X205T:-

Friend of the missus, so I'm compelled to help....

Her X205T the other day finally offered to upgrade from Win8.1 to Win10 which she duly accepted, now bear in mind these things only have a 32GB eMMC as main storage (I gather soldered to the board)  the upgrade finished leaving her with a bootable Windows 10 but no working:-

a) touchpad (in windows)
and
b) USB ports (in windows, and **maybe** even the BIOS)

Seems the touchpad is a known problem that requires you to download some updated win10 drivers form ASUS along with some APK drivers (PITA having to do it via the keyboard because the USB ports are now dead so I can't even plug in a mouse) .. I was able to do this (remotely) via Teamviewer, but the new drivers wouldn't install unless you uninstalled the old versions first which wouldn't uninstall. I then found some instructions online for removing the old drivers but the new ones still wouldn't install with an error about not being able to create a temp file (there is plenty of free space and the temp dirs are writeable .. I think this is something to do with it being a Wimboot image) .. to make matters worse attempting to install them has now messed up the chipset drivers and killed wireless, I could easily reinstall the chipset drivers (I'd previously downloaded them) but the intel drivers require you to select a tick box and the damn window won't change field with the tab key like most so there's no way to tick it .. Ahh!!! "mousekeys", that'll allow me to control the cursor to select the tickbox right ? .. wrong, the ASUS has no numlock or numpad (not even the 'Fn" type usually found on netbooks and small laptops) so though I can turn on mousekeys there's still no way to move the damn cursor. I've found an app that would work (easymouse) but have no frigging way of getting it onto the frigging system.

This f**king thing is a nightmare .. WTF were ASUS thinking releasing a win10 upgrade not only after it's no longer supposed to be free, but that will kill the system.

I should also add that a Win10 upgrade on a Wimboot image destroys the WinRE recovery partition so there's absolutely no way to factory reset back to Win8.1 (or even clean up Win10) .. and that the warrantee was up about 2 months ago >:( >:( >:(

So even though the hardware is perfectly fine

a) no way to fix Win10
b) no way to go back to Win8.1
c) no way to install anything else
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 03:00:46 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline pin

• Peppermint User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 02:45:54 pm »
Ops!
I do hope you can figure out a way to boot the thing and install something else.
It sounded quite doable in the video and if someone can fix this thing is probably you.
Good luck

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 03:01:59 pm »
Good luck

Cheers pin, I have a feeling I'm gonna need it.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 04:06:49 pm »
This f**king thing is a nightmare .. WTF were ASUS thinking releasing a win10 upgrade not only after it's no longer supposed to be free, but that will kill the system.

Same mindset as promising mail-in rebates, and never fulfilling them. They're a bunch of ass-wipes IMO.

It's amazing how petty and vindictive ppl can be. I'll never buy another ASUS anything.  F* ASUS.

Tell her to throw it away, and buy a computer from a reputable company...   :P

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 05:23:35 pm »
It's funny, years ago ASUS made nothing but the best motherboards on the planet (and had great customer support too) .. how things change ::)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline pin

• Peppermint User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 06:44:01 pm »
Probably you've already thought about this as well, but maybe... removing the CMO battery and temporary inserting a SSD/HDD with another OS already installed, boot and configure the internal drive as an external one from the one you've just got running as "internal"?? Or is the BIOS already damaged?
Go for it with all you have
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 06:52:20 pm by pin »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 08:16:54 pm »
I think the BIOS is fine but AFAIK the thing has an eMMC drive soldered to the motherboard .. I doubt if it has any SATA/IDE ports.

Besides which I'm in the UK and the machine is in Australia .. so (since loosing remote networking)  I'm having to talk a complete computer novice through this, i think stripping it down would be beyond her.

I'm **hoping** the SD card slot is still working, so we can at least install easymouse, then use that to move the cursor so we can reinstall the chipset drivers .. but something tells me that will probably be on the USB bus so not working.
(seems every time I come up with an idea to move forward, I find some roadblock to it)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline pin

• Peppermint User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 12:34:50 pm »
Suck! Why to they do this? Why is the eMMC drive soldered?
Found that HP is doing the same with the CPU !
Someone at work drop a cup of coffee on an enterprise laptop and I thought that I could at least get the i7 CPU from the damaged motherbord, but guess what... it was soldered !

By the way how is it going with the ASUS?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 12:50:55 pm by pin »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 01:39:01 pm »
Okay managed to get the chipset drivers reinstalled (using a bluetooth mouse) so have wireless back, now just need to figure out what's stopping the touchpad drivers from installing, then figure out why the USB ports are not working after the win10 upgrade.

Slowly getting there, but damn ASUS made this difficult ::)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline pin

• Peppermint User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 01:56:02 pm »
Cool , I knew it!!!
Hope the other stuff will get sorted out as well. Let us know!

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 & 8 64 bit
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2017, 03:17:31 pm »
It's funny, years ago ASUS made nothing but the best motherboards on the planet (and had great customer support too) .. how things change ::)

I know, right?  I've got an old ASUS LGA775 motherboard that's rock solid.  So is my old ASUS Nvidia GeForce 9500GT, from around the same time as that mobo.  Fast forward just a few years to 2012, and they went to crap in a hurry.  My laptop has thin plastic and pretty cheap feeling components all around.  Also, I'm glad I never had to contact customer service back when it was on warranty, because I read some bad things in the product reviews section on Amazon for that model.  Nowadays, ASUS is a sad joke.  They really fell hard.  Hardly any of their laptops on Amazon or Walmart's websites have much more than 3 to 3.5 stars.  They're about in the same league as HP now, which is pretty bad.  I think they're just trying to keep their prices competitive while at the same time trying to keep up with resource hungry Windows, so they're cheaping out on components.  Most of their laptops I see that have better than a 4 star rating are their Chromebooks.

Offline grafiksinc

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2017, 08:13:25 am »
This is my experience.  ;)
I have one,   :D when I bought it, this thing came with pre-loaded Windows  10
I wiped it and put Ubuntu-Mate 15.10 on it "16.04" had not come out yet.
After you turn off the secure boot and set the USB controller to use EHCI you can load something on it
I had to work fast because after about 10 or 15 minutes of using it the thing would just freeze, no ,matter what distro(Debian based) I used the thing always froze.

At the time I was using this as a reference:
https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Asus/X205TA
For the most part the wiki got most of my stuff working.

Once I ran across Peppermint I decided to migrate over, and leave Ubuntu-Mate behind,
again the initial install of Peppermint had the same freezing issue but the wiki fixes that.

Through all of that I can tell you the ONLY thing  that does not work to this day is the audio and bluetooth:
>The wiki states It may be possible that some models of the X205TA have a different card, a Realtek RT5640 (unverified)  - I don't care about this anyway for my needs ::)
>I don't use Bluetooth so I never looked for a solution.

Other than that Peppermint has been perfect.  :D...... it's a dev machine too , I run Apache, Mono, Postgres, and other stuff.....
I use it while traveling.

I know this does not answer your Windows problem...  :( 
Sadly I will say  this is the last ASUS netbook I buy  :'(

Needless to say P7 is not coming off for along while on this ASUS..... 8)

« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 08:15:04 am by grafiksinc »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2017, 09:49:13 am »
Thanks grafiksinc, but for some reason on this machine since she ran the Win10 upgrade the USB ports have been dead, so even if I disable Secureboot and set USB to eHCI USB sticks still aren't recognised by the BIOS at all :-\

The touchpad I **gather** should list itself in the Windows device manager under "Mice and input devicecs" as an Elantech touchpad  (or ASUS touchpad after smart gesture is installed), but there's absolutely no touchpad listed AT ALL (in fact there's not even a "Mice and input devices" section" .. I've managed to get passed further ASUS Smart Gesture driver loading but it now either:-

a) with the win10 driver fails with the generic message mentioned here:
http://ivanrf.com/en/asus-smart-gesture-problem-with-windows-installer/

or

b) with the win8.1 drive fails with the message "device not present"

So I'm assuming the touchpad is also on the USB bus and so dead at the BIOS level.

I'm kinda baffled how a Win10 upgrade could have affected the BIOS (or USB hardware) in this way .. oddly I've discovered the SDcard slot still works (though intermittently) which is also on the USB bus but all USB ports are dead, as is the touchpad ???

As mentioned at that link, some people seem to have gotten past this problem with a BIOS update which because of all the roadblocks this thing keeps throwing up I'm loath to try unless as a last resort.

And there's also the fact the ASUS website isn't overly clear which is thee latest BIOS for the X205TA because it also lists BIOS's for the X205TAW, and the version numbering is weird:
https://www.asus.com/uk/Laptops/ASUS_EeeBook_X205TA/HelpDesk_Download/
though I'm **fairly** certain that page is saying 212 is the latest for the X205TA .. the link that tells you how to check your current "model BIOS name":
https://www.asus.com/support/faq/114958
is full of s**t .. there is no number bottom right of screen in the BIOS ::)

Any chance you could let me know which BIOS version your X205TA is running (this one has 208) ?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 09:57:32 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec