Choose style:

Author Topic: Of Laptops and Phones  (Read 5709 times)

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
Re: Of Laptops and Phones
« Reply #90 on: July 23, 2019, 06:14:34 am »
It used to be that Google is your friend and in most cases that is true. Android Pie is less bothersome to you than it is in Android 8. A lot of people said to me instead of buying a new phone, upgrade the firmware on your Galaxy Young 2. The problem there is the hardware is out of date and cannot be upgraded and that is where a lot of businesses fail.

The Council here on the Isle of Wight are using 2011 Android phones, which with the software that the Council are using on them is the latest. Problem being though is the firmware and the hardware, the modern software they've put on them does not run properly and in most cases they end up losing money because of it. They spent God knows how much money on these Motorola phones, that are completely out of date and utter useless. So now they are going to reinvest in new phones. Not only that but some bright spark, thought it would be a good idea not to have CCTV services anymore.

The point I'm trying to make is yes having all this tech do the job for you, to make it easier on the user and sometimes if not all the time pure and utter laziness, on the workers part and yes I know it speeds up creativity and getting the end product out. When you're relying on tech to work for you 24 hours a day, seven days a week (Not like The Beatles Song with eight) three hundred and sixty five days a year, stating the obvious here you have to get it right first time. The people the Council got these phones off of and the tech department who wrote the software, did not test these phones properly, before handing them out or in this case selling them to the Council.

Lots of mistakes made in this tech world and it comes down to mainly communication. You can bet your bottom dollar that the tech team behind these phones for the Council had said to the Council or their tech supervisor that these phones are not ready, in fact the software on them keeps crashing and we can't sell them like this. Or words to that effect or affect. But  they still managed to, knowing that they will fail, crash and burn baby.

How many other businesses have failed because of software crashes I wonder?

Back to Google yes trying to live without the huge world wide search engine that is Google is hard, but there are many alternatives Duck-Duck-Go, Start Page, whom both of these are now with Linux Mint, in their new 19.2 Beta. Whether or not you can get these on your Android phone I have no idea?
Like you say Google always calling home to see what you are doing, saving the pages you've visited, what you've typed, where you've been, who you have been talking to in chat apps like WhatsApp. Saving you time searching for your favorite site again. Ever tried uninstalling everything Google on your Android phone? Dependencies come up and states that you need Google to run with Android, as it could damage your phone and cause you to lose everything, from your contacts, messages, plus internet and so fourth, Yadda, Yadda, Yadda. Goes to show how easy it is to break these phones.

I have no idea about the antitrust overview, what I've read so far and surely Article 13 comes into it too? Though I don't understand that either, It's all jargon to cover their bottoms. When Britain and the rest of the EU got together originally, it was meant to be for business only. Selling to and fro of business and products, from food, to the latest gadgets. Come forward forty six years, from 1973 when we joined the EU and we are now sharing the same rules and regulations through out. Here in Britain we had a gentleman, who fought  for the British public to have their say, his name Cromwell next to him was another gentleman who wrote the rules for this country, though cannot find out of whom he was. Those rules were still being used, with some amendment as time went on, right up to 1973 and after we had joined the EU.

Now for many a time in the News our Prime minister and the rest of the cabinets and parties have all been arguing about how we must rewrite the rules for this country, before Britain can leave the EU. What happened to the original rule book in the first place? That's enough from me this has gotten on way too long, do apologize for the book or novel.   ;D
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #91 on: July 23, 2019, 09:08:26 am »
I'd have gone iPhone again if the flagship models weren't so damn stupidly priced .. certainly not because I like Apple/iOS or because I think the hardware is any better, but because I hate the way Google use Android as an advert platform that MUST spy on you to fulfil its sole function .. Android is NOT FREE.

Android drives me up the wall in so many ways .. sure iOS isn't problem free either, but I always felt slightly safer and slightly more private there, and I wasn't bombarded with advertising to ANYWHERE NEAR the same extent and felt slightly less 'tracked' because of it.

In truth, you're left with a choice between two slightly different flavours of sh*t.

[EDIT]

Talking of pricing .. with iPhones holding their price much better you're more likely to recoup your money in two years when you come to upgrade, so I guess their value in the long run is not so bad, but it just 'feels' wrong spending over a grand on a damn phone in the first place .. I hated that feeling that I was paying for the logo more with an iPhone, even if I knew that same phenomena was what would ultimately recoup my money.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 09:32:44 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 23, 2019, 12:54:59 pm »
I don't need the latest model, but still thinking about it... both wife and daughter use iphone.
We'll see in a few months  :-\

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
« Reply #93 on: July 24, 2019, 02:24:40 am »
I only got this Ulefone because of work and everyone on WhatsApp, that's all. I got all that tech in one phone and hardly use it really, yes I'm happy with it but I'm not on it constantly looking at it, to see what stupid messages are on it. I prefer Peppermint 10 to use the Internet with, that way I know I'm safe in the comfort of my home or at the moment at work. I was hoping to get some live streaming done today, but have work again tonight. They can't seem to find anyone else to cover for me, as I was meant to have Monday Tuesday Wednesday off, then work Thursday, Friday, Saturday. I still have not been paid for the 69.5 hours I done a month ago. Have been in contact via email and I'll give them their due, they do reply. As that is their main way of communicating with their staff. A lot of businesses don't bother getting back to you via email, they'd rather leave you hanging about.

I'm meant to go in for training today, but I'll be in the land of Noddy and Big ears, Toyland. I have loads of computer stuff coming, for my new project. Going to build another computer and capture it through my main computer, via a capture card, that works flawlessly here in Peppermint and install Linux live on YouTube, where the viewer actually sees how Linux restarts and boots, on real hardware in real time, what the Grub screen looks like, where to put your AMD and Intel anti screen tearing scripts, what you can do on Linux, verses proprietary systems, which let's face it here in Linux we are there with the big boys now, we can do what other systems can do. I'm here till 08:30hrs another hour and seven minutes.  ;D
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)