Choose style:

Author Topic: Of Laptops and Phones  (Read 6307 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Of Laptops and Phones
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2019, 04:25:48 am »
This world is in serious need of a fresh install :)

[EDIT]

Oh, and can we have an open source 'operating system' instead of a proprietary one this time around please ?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 04:32:31 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2019, 04:51:22 am »
The problem is, would money even exist anymore? If say the solar flare was world wide and the Earth's axis had shifted off, to such a degree, wondering if the moon's gravitational pull would take extreme effect? Everyone would be concentrating on surviving, such devastation as a solar flare is a magnetic pulse, if you have a old video tape and you put it next to a very powerful magnet, it wipes off the video tape, so a solar flare does the same thing, but with horrific consequences. Of course it has to be a trillion times worse, than that of 1859 and how to prepare for a EMP (Electro Magnetic Pulse)

https://www.backdoorsurvival.com/prepping-for-an-emp-and-solar-flares/

This site tells us everything in more detail.    ;D
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2019, 04:55:53 am »
This world is in serious need of a fresh install :)

[EDIT]

Oh, and can we have an open source 'operating system' instead of a proprietary one this time around please ?

Yeah definitely, a Open Source OS, you'll have to make sure you survive Mark, make Peppermint world wide. ;D

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2019, 05:19:56 am »
I meant 'operating system' kinda metaphorically ..

Open source 'operating system' == transparent form of governmental and socio-economic systems , that can be easily user modified.

Proprietary 'operating system' == the intentionally opaque governmental and socio-economic systems (controlled by the few) we have now.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 05:26:29 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2019, 06:17:56 am »
Zero paper trail eh .. oh please let it happen in my lifetime :)

Yes! :)

I meant 'operating system' kinda metaphorically ..

Open source 'operating system' == transparent form of governmental and socio-economic systems , that can be easily user modified.

Proprietary 'operating system' == the intentionally opaque governmental and socio-economic systems (controlled by the few) we have now.

You're on a roll this morning, PCNetSpec...Again, yes!  :) :)
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2019, 12:04:37 pm »
:)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2019, 07:58:30 pm »
Problem is you can bet your bottom dollar the elite already have a system in place to protect their wealth and power

Yup, they already do. It's called cryptocurrency.

It's only a matter of time, and state-controlled fiat currency will go the way of the Dodo bird...  ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #82 on: May 08, 2019, 04:36:03 am »
Yeah replace one scam currency with another .. sounds about right.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2019, 08:05:14 am »
More big open source news out of Asia.  (The other news being South Korea's governments decision to possibly move from Windows to Linux.)  I know for me personally, the Trump administration's yo-yoing on ZTE, which is another Chinese phone manufacturer, has caused my cell phone carrier (Boost Mobile) to pretty much discontinue the brand.  We also happen to own two perfectly fine ZTE phones!  What a headache!! :-\

As for Huawei, I personally like the Android Open Source Project (AOSP).  I frequently use Jason Kung's Launcher <3 on my own phone which is based on AOSP, and I have installed it on a friend's phone too.  It's an excellent launcher.  It's in the same basic camp as Google Now -- which I'm currently using now, and of which Google has stopped development.  These are basic stock Android launchers.  They're simple to use, and, in my opinion, still the best.

My greatest concern, of course, is that this trade war with China could potentially lead to real war if the two nations are not very careful here.  My other and more likely concern is that the Internet will be becoming more and more balkanized.  It could become less Inter as time moves on.  The World Wide Web, which in my understanding is built upon the Internet, may possibly become less world wide, or universal, over time.  Neither of these possibilities would be any darn good.

Google pulls Huawei’s Android license, forcing it to use open source version

By T.C. Sottek for The Verge

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/19/18631558/google-huawei-android-suspension

P.S.

If you're interested in this topic and in learning a little more about the United States' concerns about Huawei, genuine and alleged, can be found here.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 08:32:49 am by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 20, 2019, 11:15:36 am »
If you're an Android Pie phone user...

I just posted a DNS over TLS (DoT) tute on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MotoX4/comments/cfma50/howto_enable_private_dns_over_tls_dot_on_moto_x4/

I thought there might be some Pie users here, too, that are interested in securing their phones over untrusted communication channels, such as public WiFi in hotels, airports, coffee shops, and so forth. 

Personally, I leave DoT running all the time.

TUTORIAL LINK: https://blog.cloudflare.com/enable-private-dns-with-1-1-1-1-on-android-9-pie/

TEST LINK: https://1.1.1.1/help

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 20, 2019, 02:57:15 pm »
Oh, my. Look what I ran across (for the 'Road Warrior') : https://github.com/gortcodex/dnscrypt-loader

I need to access the same untrusted communication channels, with my lappy, when I'm on the trot...

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 03:12:11 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 20, 2019, 03:22:49 pm »
The name comes to mind.

Seems like I tried stubby, but didn't care for it.

I'll have to do a Google Search and see if AI remembers what I said...

EDIT

Good ol' AI: https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,5945.msg83559.html#msg83559   ;D
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 03:27:20 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2019, 03:28:33 am »
I only tried Oreo for a couple of days, but Pie felt 'smoother' .. that said it could just be me getting familiar with Android again.

Pie is much smoother, that's what came with my Ulefone p6000, free sim went to my local O2 shop and they transferred for free my number over to a very tiny nano sim card and this phone can hold two Sim cards or one Sim card with up to 128GB storage card, all held in a slot, instead of taking the back off. My case finally came Saturday 13th July, I sent off for it on the 27th June, won't be buying from them again. What I love about this version of Android is the apps you open can be closed very easily, by swiping up and hitting the cross, it then tells you how much memory has been released, after closing apps. This phone is a quad core with 3GB of Ram and is 64bit. Another thing I like is the fact that I have no problem typing anymore, like I did with my Samsung Galaxy Young 2, it was that phone that put me off of these modern phones, but so glad I bought this phone. You have a choice of circle or square icons and a few home screen layouts too. Comes with two camera lenses, both on the front and the picture quality is really good, will find a subject like a bowl of fruit to take picture of, it can also record film, plus already installed is a screen recorder like simple-screen-recorder, for reviewers I guess? I will have to dig deeper into this phone, just to see what else I can do. for £99.98 Pounds 125.08 USD or some sites are saying 124.82 USD What to believe? You get a hell of a lot. Battery life, have only charged it once and that was last week, it's down to 86% happy boy I am.   ;D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 03:48:57 am by clatterfordslim »

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2019, 07:10:30 am »
Android is no longer what it used to be  :'(
Damn google's "mamma boy" that calls home once every 3 minutes to let her know what you're doing  >:(

I'm seriously considering an iphone for the first time ever!!
Yes, I know overpriced, but it calls home much, much less. Actually, I'm considering a "phone" like 10 years ago  ;)
Only issue I need to solve is how to get my digital-ID working without a smart phone  :-\ ...banks here support Windows or Apple, the phone has been my "backdoor", allowing me to use my bank through Linux and BSD.

For those of us in Europe, I wonder how long the european antitrust policy (http://ec.europa.eu/competition/antitrust/overview_en.html) will remain with their eyes shut?

Sorry, but I'm beginning to like paid services. Google came with their "free"-stuff and wiped out the competition, now there's almost impossible to disable Google from your life.
Although, even paying for it is not safe. Take Netflix, for example, you pay for it but you can't use it without google's stupid widevine-lib. You might say, "yeah, but widevine is free to fetch and use". No, its not! Its a closed source binary blob compiled against GlibC. For those of us running systems with another C-library, there's no Netflix without a serious work around, https://www.unitedbsd.com/d/68-streaming-netflix-on-netbsd

Sad but true... and, worst of all, people accept this s**t  >:(
There's more to it, but I'm done for now...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 07:31:16 am by pin »