Choose style:

Author Topic: Of Laptops and Phones  (Read 5996 times)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Of Laptops and Phones
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2018, 09:58:08 am »
Gee I bet Russians are over the moon about getting their very own intelligence intelligent assistant.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 10:00:18 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2019, 10:26:30 pm »
Here's an update about Yandex's smartphone.   The article also sheds some light upon the Russian smartphone manufacturer called Yota.

Russia’s Yandex smartphone flops

By Ben Aris in Berlin for bne IntelliNews (a non-secure site)

http://www.intellinews.com/russia-s-yandex-smartphone-flops-155668/
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2019, 02:23:07 pm »
OMG!  >:(

Setting up my new Google Fi phone (Moto X4 - Android One) is as long and painstaking as doing a fresh winders 7 install.

This phone came with Android 7.1.1 OOTB. After I charged the battery and booted it, it said Android 8.0 was available, and asked if I would like to install it. Android 8 is much better than Android 7, from what I've read so... why not?

I started the process last night, around midnight. It took about 30 minutes to install Android 8, but then the incremental updates started streaming in.

Every update was met with yet another available update, and I gave up around 4 AM, and got some 'shut eye.'

I continued the updates when I awoke. It's now 12 hours later, and I'm up to the October 2018 update. Hello?!?!?

Evidently, Google Fi must have monthly updates - like winder's Patch Tuesday. And, one needs to install them one at a time.

This phone was made in mid 2017-ish.  Doing a little rough math, you can see what I'm up against. LoL!

Oh, well, no pain, no gain, right?  ::)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2019, 02:44:15 pm »
Just got me a Sammy Note 9 .. came with 8.1.0 (Oreo), immediately wanted to update to 9.0 (Pie) .. as Pie is pretty new it was pretty quick because there haven't been many incremental updates yet .. 2 IIRC.

Still trying to weigh up whether I prefer iOS or Android but there's so many variables....

I prefer the way iOS doesn't phone home anywhere near as much as Android

I hate the way Googles news feed is pretty much a bunch of adverts with a couple of lines of news squeezed into the ad stream every now and again.

I like the "more control" aspect of Android

I hate Androids confusing  "permissions" system .. it's kinda like KDE with so many options and variables you easily get lost and don't know what permissions you gave to what, and how they interact with permissions for something else.

I like the way Apple are on top of updates and therefore security .. although I'm hoping as a top tier Android phone I'll get regular "enough" updates (at least for the first couple of years).

I hate the way I can't uninstall some third party stuff in Android, such as Fekbook, etc. .. only never sign in, and 'hide' it .. but it's still there doing god knows what.

I love the Note 9's ability to split-screen (or window an app), and the S-Pen.

etc. etc. etc. ........

As for the hardware itself .. well this Note 9 is frikin gorgeous (specially its screen), I have no doubt an Apple XS Max would be equally as nice (and would possibly have been my first choice simply because I'm used to my previous iPhone), but I'm not paying that ridiculous price.

Should I have waited the extra 2 days for the Galaxy S10/S10+ .. well not really, I gather the Note 10 won't be available for some time yet and I REALLY wanted Linux on DeX and the S-Pen (ya gotta play right ?) :)
(I'd also feel much more confident about an OpenVPN connection to the Peppermint servers running in Linux rather than Android)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 02:53:18 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2019, 03:31:48 pm »
Just got me a Sammy Note 9 .. came with 8.1.0 (Oreo), immediately wanted to update to 9.0 (Pie) [...]

Well, well. isn't that ironic?   ;D

I've evidently finished up all of the Android 7/8 updates, and it just asked me if I wished to install Android 9.0 Peppermint Pie.

Why not? I haven't ported my phone number over yet - had to get my current carrier to provide me with my 'secret' account number. I got the number from support, this morning, when they opened. It wasn't too painful. I don't know what their thinking was on this, but that's the ONLY way one can get their account number. Why it's hidden from customer view; I don't know...

I did a lot of research, before and after venturing into the dark side. Reddit is a good source of information on Google Fi (in general) and this phone (in particular).

Android 9.0 became available on the Google Fi Moto X4 in late December, 2018, but it wasn't available to everyone around the globe. As recently as two weeks ago, users in the USA were complaining that they hadn't been offered the Android Pie upgrade yet. Some people were so desperate to get Pie that they were rooting their Moto X4s and downloading turd-party installs.

I'm wondering how many of these people didn't realize their phones needed to have all of the incremental monthly updates installed, before Android 9.0 would be offered. I don't remember seeing anything mentioned about this.

So, anyway, I just pulled the trigger. We'll see how Android 9.0 rolls.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2019, 03:37:07 pm »
I only tried Oreo for a couple of days, but Pie felt 'smoother' .. that said it could just be me getting familiar with Android again.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 03:41:54 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2019, 04:18:23 pm »
I only tried Oreo for a couple of days, but Pie felt 'smoother' [...]

Oh, WoW! This Android 9.0 is feking gorgeous!

I've been running Android 7.1.1 on my Moto E4 for quite some time, so I'm used to its look n' feel.

And, I've experienced Android 7.1.1, 8.1.0, 9.0 on this phone, during the past 14 hours.

Android 8.0.1 was nothing to write home about, but this Android 9.0 Pie... WoW!

BTW, the Moto X4 is doing a January, 2019 update as I type. Then, I assume, a February, 2019 upgrade after that.

This is getting exciting.  8)

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2019, 04:25:35 pm »
Nope, that was the last update. Cool!

Okay, now it's time to tackle the phone number porting...   ::)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2019, 04:59:31 pm »
Now see if you can figure out how to specify the colour of your individual contact icons .. apparently they got rid of this as a user configurable option in Pie.

And would you believe the first thing my missus said (specially after mentioning this things 'edge lighting') was "I wanna be purple" .. yet Pie has decided she's red whether she likes it or not :))

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2019, 05:20:52 pm »
LoL  :D

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2019, 06:30:00 pm »
Geez, sounds like you guys are having no fun. I got a Moto G6 a few weeks ago. It came with Oreo and it still has Oreo. With the experiences you guys are describing, I'm glad it didn't do a massive OS update (just the usual security updates, etc.) I set that up before I went to work, the OS update would have made that a no-go.

Still trying to weigh up whether I prefer iOS or Android but there's so many variables....

I prefer the way iOS doesn't phone home anywhere near as much as Android

I hate the way Googles news feed is pretty much a bunch of adverts with a couple of lines of news squeezed into the ad stream every now and again.

I like the "more control" aspect of Android

I hate Androids confusing  "permissions" system .. it's kinda like KDE with so many options and variables you easily get lost and don't know what permissions you gave to what, and how they interact with permissions for something else.

I like the way Apple are on top of updates and therefore security .. although I'm hoping as a top tier Android phone I'll get regular "enough" updates (at least for the first couple of years).

I hate the way I can't uninstall some third party stuff in Android, such as Fekbook, etc. .. only never sign in, and 'hide' it .. but it's still there doing god knows what.

Same for me. Add to that that an iPhone 8 is still around the $800 mark, where my Moto G6 was $200 with 64GB of memory and 4GB RAM. (an upgrade over the standard G6)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 06:34:01 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2019, 08:33:02 pm »

You might be able to disable it, or force stop it.  But I know what you mean.  There's a lot of bloatware on these Android phones. ::)
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2019, 03:06:19 am »
It's the manufacturers that put all that bloat on there. Then they lock the phone so you can't uninstall it without rooting the phone. Of course, you risk bricking it by doing that.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2019, 08:22:16 am »
Geez, sounds like you guys are having no fun

On the contrary, from the little of Oreo I experienced, Pie 'feels' like a big improvement .. as John says. it's certainly prettier, but it also feels 'smother' (though please don't ask me to define 'smoother', it's just a general overall 'feeling') :)

And yeah, I'm not really up for risking a £700+ phone by 'rooting' just yet .. though eventually I probably will, I'll at least wait until it doesn't look so brand new and super shiny (which could be anywhere from next week, to years from now if Corning are to be believed) ;)

Quote from: perknh
You might be able to disable it, or force stop it

Yeah I can do that, but recent events make me wonder exactly how effective that actually is .. I'd prefer the option to be able to REMOVE it altogether.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 08:29:37 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2019, 06:27:43 pm »
One thing I did like and that surprised me about iOS is how you can remove preinstalled apps. If only every OS was that way. ::)

On the contrary, from the little of Oreo I experienced, Pie 'feels' like a big improvement .. as John says. it's certainly prettier, but it also feels 'smother' (though please don't ask me to define 'smoother', it's just a general overall 'feeling') :)

I wouldn't know, Oreo is the latest I can apparently have. It's all up to Motorola to let me install a newer version (or not.) It seems to work fine, though.