Choose style:

Author Topic: Of Laptops and Phones  (Read 3475 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Of Laptops and Phones
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2019, 06:15:35 pm »
The $%#! Google Search widget is pinned at the bottom, by default, on Android 9 'Pie'.

It's not a "Pie" thang .. I can remove that Google widget from the homescreen of my Sammy which is runnin Pie.

So I'm assuming it's a stock/aftermarket 'launcher' thang.

Not that I'd wanna replace it with Bing .. which feels like swapping crap for a turd.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 06:27:32 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2019, 06:29:23 pm »
DuckDuckGo all the way. :D

Usually, widgets can be removed from your home screen. When they can't, that's on the phone maker for locking that in for you. Don't you love them? ::)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo que adora Peppermint.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin (64-bit)
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2019, 08:22:51 pm »
There must be some way to put an open source, stock Android launcher on the phone -- something like Launcher<3 that's based on Google's AOSP.  That launcher, as well as any of the AOSP launchers, lets you hide Google's Quick Search.  Might Nova Launcher support Pie while letting you hide Quick Search?  That I don't know since I'm stuck with Marshmallow on my LG Tribute. I also have Peppermint's DDG as my homepage for Brave browser on the phone.
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters...
-- AndyInMokum

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2019, 08:55:18 pm »
I looked at the picture of the phone, but didn't read it.  It's a Moto X4, not an E4.  My goodness, they sure look a lot alike. ;)

Good eye, bro!  ;D

You know, I think most of my machines are older than the kids on that web site (Reddit). Seriously.

You're the only person that noticed the Moto E4 wall. I did that on purpose. LoL

The stock Moto X4 walls - like most Android walls - bored me to tears. ZZZzzzzzz

I surfed the web for days, looking for a suitable replacement, but I couldn't find anything I liked more than the stock Moto E4 wall. It makes me happy, so I downloaded the stock E4 walls and installed them on my X4.

Anyway, thanks for noticing it. You've restored my faith in humanity.

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2019, 09:01:39 pm »
It's not a "Pie" thang .. I can remove that Google widget from the homescreen of my Sammy which is runnin Pie.

So I'm assuming it's a stock/aftermarket 'launcher' thang.

Not that I'd wanna replace it with Bing .. which feels like swapping crap for a turd.

Correct. It a Motorola X4 launcher thang, and it drives most X4 users crazy. I just block it out of my mind.

And, yes, Bing and Google Search are both crappy, but Bing is less stinky IMO, so...

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2019, 09:18:28 pm »
Might Nova Launcher support Pie while letting you hide Quick Search?

Right, that's what the kids on reddit recommend, but from what I've read, the Nova launcher introduces quirks of its own in other areas, once one navigates away from the home screen.

Like I said above, I just [remove] it from my mind, instead of my home screen. It's no worse than someone farting in a crowded bus. You're better off just ignoring it, than getting off at the next stop, or bitching about it for the rest of the ride.

Only real way to get rid of it is by rooting your phone, going into dev mode, and deleting it. Next update - it's comes rolling back in though.

Anyway, it's all good. Maybe Motorola will get tired of all the complaining, but I doubt it. They're probably making money off pinning it to the bottom of home.  Good luck with that... ::)

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2019, 09:30:33 pm »
I'm stuck with Marshmallow on my LG Tribute.

Hey, how do you like that phone?

Boost Mobile is going to cancel my drop-phone service, in a couple of months. I have three (3) of them. They want to give me a Tribute, for free, or $50 credit toward something else... to ween me off the flip phone service.

I was thinking about taking them up on the free Tribute.

The nice thing about Boost Mobile is, you can switch devices in seconds, on their dashboard. So, I could always switch to the Moto E4, if I don't like it, or ahem 'lose' the Tribute.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2019, 10:56:28 pm »
I like it, VinDSL, but Marshmallow is becoming dated.  I picked it up for $25 at Walmart, and the next day they dropped the price to $16!  Mind you I'm talking about the Tribute and not the Tribute Dynasty -- which needs a different charger and runs Nouget. 

I particularly liked the Tribute because it was affordable and because it easily fits in my pocket.  Boost gave me the same spiel that I needed to replace my old Sprint flip phone with a newer phone and plan.  Since we're carrying 4 phones, I asked to moved to the new plan for 4 phones for $100 a month.  With autopay the price then drops to $95.  I always try to get customer service with the Filipinos early Sunday mornings Eastern time if possible.  IMO they're the best when it comes to customer service with Boost Mobile.
-- AndyInMokum

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2019, 11:10:19 pm »
I'm talking about the Tribute and not the Tribute Dynasty -- which needs a different charger and runs Nouget [...] 

I always try to get customer service with the Filipinos early Sunday mornings Eastern time if possible.  IMO they're the best when it comes to customer service with Boost Mobile.

Oh, okay. It IS a Dynasty...

Spoiler (click here to view / hide)
Regarding mobile number ending in

Dear Boost Mobile Customer,
You are receiving this notification because the device associated with the above phone number will be impacted by a device Network update that will be made on April 30, 2019, to the system that programs this device for service.

The impacted device on your account, regarding this change, can be identified through the following link boostmobile.com/mydevices. This associated device is impacted due to its age and design.

What this means to you after April 30, 2019:
If your device is already active on the Network (turned on and in use), it will continue to work, but the following changes will no longer be possible:

• Re-activation (Master resets will render the device inoperable. A master reset is initiated by entering the following on the phone’s keypad: “##RTN#” or “##786#").

• Subscriber/profile information changes – you can’t swap phone numbers on this device

• Preferred roaming list (PRL) updates. A PRL is important because it tells your device what towers to use. Since your device won’t be able to get an updated PRL, over time you may experience irregular service if changes are made to the Network in your area.

If your device is not currently active on the Network, you will no longer be able to reactivate it.

To help, Boost is offering you a FREE LG Tribute Dynasty™ while supplies last or up to $50 for a phone upgrade. To redeem the phone offer, you must visit a Boost Mobile store and present this email. Use code when processing transaction. Other important details: This offer is valid until May 15, 2019. Set up fee up to $25 may apply. In addition, upgrading your device may require a rate plan change at the time of the device upgrade. Finally, this offer is exclusively for the recipient, is non-transferable and cannot be redeemed or exchanged for cash, credit, or other merchandise.

We apologize for any inconvenience you experience as a result of this change.
Sincerely,
Boost Mobile
[close]

Good to know about the Filipino support. Thx  ;)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2019, 06:13:03 am »
The Tribute Dynasty is an excellent phone too.  Its sole issue is with its battery life.  It was selling here in New Hampshire at BestBuy a couple a weeks ago for $40.

This is the offer I got for $100 ($95 with autopay).  It has a couple of catches, though.  They want you to be new to Boost, so you've got to wrestle them a bit over that in order to get the offer.  Also the plan doesn't support any flip phone whatsoever.  I don't really like Google Android knowing EVERYTHING I'm doing, but the plan will only work with smarties (and I'm not an iPhone guy yet). ::)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 06:54:45 am by perknh »
-- AndyInMokum

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2019, 06:35:06 am »
@VinDSL

Might Nova Launcher support Pie while letting you hide Quick Search?

Right, that's what the kids on reddit recommend, but from what I've read, the Nova launcher introduces quirks of its own in other areas, once one navigates away from the home screen.

I should mention this one too, VinDSL.  It's about as minimalist a launcher as you can get.  And it's got a better privacy policy policy IMO than Nova Launcher too.  I know it supports Oreo.  Might it also support Pie?  That I don't know.  Anyway, it's called Launcher Tria.  And, believe me, a launcher doesn't get more minimalist than this. ;)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.outis.launcher3
-- AndyInMokum

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2019, 04:42:58 pm »
Thx, I'll check that out, perk.   :)

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Nine Respin 2
« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2019, 03:43:46 am »

I forgot all about Google Pay, Apple Pay, and Walmart Pay.   More and more people have their credit cards linked to theirs phones.  And, pretty soon, our driver's licenses (and insurance policies) will be linked to our phones too.

Digital driver’s licenses: States are ditching plastic for technology

By Craig Johnson for Clark

https://clark.com/cars/digital-drivers-licenses/

They'll have to give me one of these smart phones, if your driving license is going on them, cause I cannot use them and find the old Nokia phones with inbuilt keyboard, no problem to use. Plus I'm not inundated with updates and ping noises going off all the time. There are hundreds, if not thousands of people, who do not own a smart phone and would prefer not to. So moving away from the traditional, of carrying your licence in your wallet, is just stupid. When the whole world's documentation, from people's banking info, Medical info and everything else financial, went digital. There is no longer a paper backup, the only source for your Doctor to get your notes, is to print them up, from the main site. That to me is dumb. Scientists have been closely monitoring solar flares, they predict that we are due one. If a massive one hit us, there'll be no power, planes would fall from the sky, cars would cease to run.

Sorry for the complete horrendous downer I just put you on, but if you're like me and don't get me wrong, I love technology, but when this, or I should say if this happens, the world will never get back to normal again and for all the survivors, there will be no proof of who they are, no paper trail left, no computers, Super Computers obliterated.  But on a lighter note, this hopefully won't happen in our life time. ;D Sorry but as much as I like technology, the mistakes or the wrong decisions that Man or Woman makes, without looking ahead first and as a species, we look at history, to not make the same mistakes, but somehow we do. :(
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 03:55:36 am by clatterfordslim »
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2019, 03:57:39 am »
Zero paper trail eh .. oh please let it happen in my lifetime :)

Think of the possibilities if nobody knows who anyone is .. to be fair they'd have to share out all wealth equally, and the entire system would be reset :)

Problem is you can bet your bottom dollar the elite already have a system in place to protect their wealth and power :(
(but they'd have to run and hide, as they'd not know who were coming for them :)))
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 04:03:20 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Nine Respin 2
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2019, 04:13:07 am »
Zero paper trail eh .. oh please let it happen in my lifetime :)

Think of the possibilities if nobody knows who anyone is .. to be fair they'd have to share out all wealth equally, and the entire system would be reset :)

Slavery would be back again, as governments of the world fall into total disarray, the Earth's alinement's out of sink, causing Britain and probably the whole of Europe, to have Earthquakes, tsunamis, the air we breathe could be toxic, or full of radiation. But yeah trying to reset the world, everyone having to give up their time to help others in need, whilst battling the elements. In fact this would make a good film, or a computer game.  ;D   
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)