Choose style:

Author Topic: Of Laptops and Phones  (Read 4036 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Of Laptops and Phones
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2019, 06:53:26 am »
I thought it was more up to your service provider than the phone manufacturer ?

Which is something else I prefer about iPhones .. their updates cut out the middle man and are direct from Apple, so you keep getting REGULAR updates for probably longer than you'll keep your phone .. for example my old hand-me-down 4+ year old iPhone 6 still got updates every few weeks (including the latest iOS version).

I gather that's unheard of in the Android world, with even top tier phones only getting maybe 3 years and a couple of Android versions if you're lucky (basically BECAUSE they have to be released by your service provider who has no financial incentive to put in work that keeps you on an old phone).

Android's update system is awful by comparison .. I understand the (market economics) reasoning behind it, but it's still awful.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 07:00:16 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2019, 09:55:35 am »
I thought it was more up to your service provider than the phone manufacturer ?

My phone was an unlocked phone that I bought on Amazon. I just pulled the SIM card out of my iPhone and put it in the Moto G6. So, as that's the only connection the phone has to my service provider, I'm assuming the updates and what not are coming from Motorola. After all, they're the only ones who can be sure the updates will work with the phone. Also, I booted up the iPhone the other day to test something with the camera and it said an iOS update is available, even though the phone is off my plan.

But, I could also be wrong about this. I don't know as much about phones as I do computers.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2019, 10:08:03 am »
Yeah unlocked Android phones (that don't come with service provider modified Android) might be different .. but even the hardware manufacturer seem to have little incentive to keep pushing updates.

Apple on the other hand just keep pushing them until your phone dies (and beyond, nothing to do with contract length if it's connected via wireless it'll still update) .. or until the latest iOS version brings your old iPhone to its knees .. this is a great way of ensuring iPhones after market value is maintained making them appear more of a 'luxury' product. Very smart marketing by Apple if you ask me, and not something that costs them much as most will want to get a new one anyway when their contract is up .. people on a budget might buy the old ones, but they're not 'lost customers' (wouldn't have bought a new one anyway) as much as 'people perpetuating the luxury myth'.

Android on the other hand have become 'bin it after 3 years' disposable phones because of their update model .. where even a top tier phone is pretty worthless valueless after 3 years.

It may be hard to argue the iPhone X price is too high by comparison to a top tier Android phone when you'll likely recover a good chunk of the initial outlay when you come to sell it at the end of your contract, where your top tier Android phone cost you only two thirds the money but is pretty valueless at the end of your contract.

Swings and roundabouts, apples and oranges, Linux and Windows (okay maybe that last one wasn't a great metaphor :)))....
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 10:31:33 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline dullblade2

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
    • Are you a spiritual entity ?
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 -it's awwesum !
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2019, 01:30:58 pm »
I have an old (4 year) unlocked huawei snapto-model G620-A2 running  Android 4.4.4 which is my daily driver and has held up remarkably well although it does not get any updates at all.  It was maybe $150 at Micron center.
Number two back up is a ( 2-3 year old) Sony Experia unlocked  D6503 Z2 running Android 4.4.2 and is my 'pretty' phone with a good camera.Pawn shop special, maybe $180.  It tells me that it has all the updates it needs and everything is peachy keen-    never offers any updates
Number three back up ( because I'm anal and cannot resist new toys) is a (1 yr.old) Nokia 6 unlocked model TA-1025 running Android 8.1 originally, but has upgraded itself (with my permission) to Android 9, security update as of Feb 1, 2019.  Purchased it at Best Buy for $219 or so. I am letting google have it's way with me to see how far it will go.  Not sure where the updates are coming from.
All three are happily running on consumer cellular for about $60 a month.  All three seem to be all there and everything is operational.   I have replaced batt. in Huawei snapto once and I had some hiccups with sending text photos with the Sony, but a very nice person at consumer cellular helped to resolve that issue- the Sony was the 'international' version.   The Nokia is the biggest one and I find myself using it more.  I installed 'Flipboard" to keep up with the latest news.  I access gmail with any of them.  I have FF browser snyched across all three as well as two laptops, so there is a little redundancy there if one breaks or gets stolen.
So....this, my friends is how I have handled the expensive phone situation, and contract sh*t.  No expensive phones, no contracts. and no necessity to have the latest flagship with a million things I do not need.  How long this will be a workable strategy, IDK.   I would love to hear how others have dealt with the high-handed phone sellers and mobile phone telcos.   So far, so good.   :)
Del l Latitude E6420, Intel core i5-2520M, 32 bit, 2011, fresh 1 TB WD HD, (efi bootloader on /dev/sda2 and rest of drive one partition /dev/sda1-no swap.

We will all learn more and more about less and less, until we know everything about nothing.    But my gratitude is boundless for this community

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2019, 02:49:52 pm »
Don't ask me .. this time I went down the "million things I don't need, but damn that screen is gorgeous and it does Linux on DeX" route :))

Not to mention BIG .. handy with ageing eye-sight and a need to have continuous access to VPS logins (via certificate authenticated OpenVPN tunnels of course) at all times.
(note taking on this Note 9 is also pretty damn intuitive and handy too .. ageing brain as well I guess ;))

Am I trying to justify it to myself ? .. possibly, but did I mention the screen and Linux on DeX ;)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 02:55:48 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2019, 06:29:22 pm »
Yeah unlocked Android phones (that don't come with service provider modified Android) might be different .. but even the hardware manufacturer seem to have little incentive to keep pushing updates.

Like I said, I'm not sure how these things work in that area with phones. Maybe there's some kind of an Android repository where Google pushes updates to and the phones just download that.

I wouldn't even have a smartphone if I didn't ride a bus to and from work. I'd just rock it like this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Walmart-Family-Mobile-Alcatel-MyFlip-Prepaid-Phone/975630799

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo que adora Peppermint.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 & P9 Respin w/4.18 kernel
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2019, 09:27:45 pm »
It's hard to go back to a basic cell phone after having a smartphone.  It wasn't so long ago when everyone had a basic cell phone.  Then smartphones and smartphone plans got less and less expensive.  My carrier (Boost Mobile) has a basic cell phone plan for $25 a month, or you can have smartphone plan for $30. (The smartphone itself only cost $25 at Walmart)  With the basic cell phone you would need to buy a card from a buggy service if you had to make international calls; but with smartphone, all you need to do is download a free app the matches the app of the person you're calling -- and that app will most likely be WhatsApp  -- from Facebook, I'm sorry to say.  ::)

A few years ago Boost Mobile stopped allowing basic text messages from a weather service to get the forecast for the day; but with a smartphone, you've got weather.com, or a number of similar apps just like it, at you fingertips.  There's also driving instructions with Google maps, and the apps actually works -- and it works well!  And what about multi-factor authentication for some of our important accounts on the computer?  One site requires one app for 2FA, while another site requires another.  Good lord, our gooses are cooked here.  Little by little we're all being compelled to own a smartphone.

All this said, I miss the simplicity of my basic cell phone at times too.  I've made a couple of failed attempts to go back to it too.  When I see these conversations here, I'd like to try again.  But, realistically speaking, I don't see what would be gained by doing so now.  The only thing I can think to do is remove as many nuisance apps as you can to help keep a smartphone as simple as possible.

P.S.

I forgot all about Google Pay, Apple Pay, and Walmart Pay.   More and more people have their credit cards linked to theirs phones.  And, pretty soon, our driver's licenses (and insurance policies) will be linked to our phones too.

Digital driverís licenses: States are ditching plastic for technology

By Craig Johnson for Clark

https://clark.com/cars/digital-drivers-licenses/

« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 07:09:50 am by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline dullblade2

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2019, 09:57:25 am »
there's never going to be a perfect solution to all this fragmentation of devices and apps.  But most of the functions we want seem to have achieved some sort of loose convergence.1.  you can text easily and "Share" to a variety of online venues and in a variety of ways- even with photos & multi-recipient texts-2.  a lot of folks 'facetime' with video apps, although I do not use that-I have a great face for radio.3.  some of us want to gravitate toward bigger screens for easier 'touching' and easier viewing4.  I would like to go back to the 'Palm' interface in some ways-  We have never achieved the total integration of the mobile platform with the desktop or laptop platform.  Ubuntu, FF, et al have all tried it without success.Since the hegemony of M$ (Gate's benighted vision) has given way to the 'Balkanization' of the Android eco-system which I would not even call an eco-system, there seems to be an un-ending number of ways to do things, but the more ways we have to communicate, the less real communicating we do. 
The real problem is a lack of adequate documentation and validation of new apps.  Ratings are a joke.  And how many apps are enough? 
Peppermint has come the closest for me to integrate all the various pieces.  I would put it on my phone if I could.
Del l Latitude E6420, Intel core i5-2520M, 32 bit, 2011, fresh 1 TB WD HD, (efi bootloader on /dev/sda2 and rest of drive one partition /dev/sda1-no swap.

We will all learn more and more about less and less, until we know everything about nothing.    But my gratitude is boundless for this community

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2019, 11:03:43 am »
My contract runs out this year and I was just reading on the Techaeris page https://mewe.com/page/5bd8bed8a40f301d8a4970f6 on MeWe that the Samsung Galaxy S10 will come with McAfee preinstalled... which might make me jump  & leave the Samsung Galaxies behind... I like the look and feel of the Nokia 7+ and it's available cheaply & unlocked... https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_int/nokia-7-plus
spence
PeppermintOS 10installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2019, 12:06:18 pm »
Wasn't Nokia bought by Microsoft??
Maybe one should just go back to a plain 'phone', I'm starting to miss those... McAfee pre-installed  :o
Thx, but no thx  ;)
Just say NO to flatpak and snap!!

Offline dullblade2

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2019, 12:21:34 pm »
 :) I think Nokia is back on their own now.........
one reason I wanted to get rid of contract phones and go to unlocked phones is that:              you are locked to that carrier and locked to that phone, not to mention that the data plans are more expensive.         with an unlocked phone, you are on your own, as far as liability, unless you find some other ins. policy but if the phone does not cost you an arm and a leg to buy, then replacing it is somewhat easier.
         New models are constantly coming into the marketplace and there are not just 100 0r 200 phones, but probably at least a couple of thousand phones,,,,,,,,,,so,,,,,,,,,upgrading is a lot easier and you can pick the 'features' you would like to have.  You have the choice of any phone, not just the ones that your carrier is offering.   In addition, if you can live without the so-called "flagship" phone which actually has a very short shelf life, you will find that there are quite a few very high quality phones available.  It is a very volatile market.

This does have one caveat though- to make this strategy work, you should get a GSM phone, not a CDMA phone.   You can easily swap out the little sim card in GSM phones even if you travel to far off lands.  Sprint and Verizon are CDMA-you want to avoid them like the plague, and anyhow CDMA is primarily in the US....very little CDMA in the rest of the world.   T-Mobile and AT&T are GSM phones which is the main standard for the rest of the world.   Most phones can be obtained with either (or sometimes both) technologies.   

well, it does come down to personal preference and whatever works for you, but I was just happy to get away from feeling 'captive' to a phone telco that sold me an overpriced phone to begin with, then discounted it if I paid them $1800-$2400 per year for service.  Your call.

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2019, 02:28:27 pm »
Like everything else (tech)...
...I'm still running a Samsung Galaxy S5.
Just say NO to flatpak and snap!!

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2019, 02:44:48 pm »
Maybe one should just go back to a plain 'phone', I'm starting to miss those...

One and/or both   ;D

Besides my newly acquired Google Fi Moto X4 smarty...

I carry three (3) Sammy Factor 'drop phones' (connected to single Boost Mobile account), when I'm on the trot.

Boost Mobile was originally designed to be used in criminal street drug deals - still is. No, I'm not a drug dealer, but the features come in handy for legitimate uses, too.

Without getting into all of the illegitimate uses - Boost Mobile makes it stupid simple to "Swap Devices".

Bada Bing, Bada Boom, Done!

Put another way, I carry four (4) phones, on my person - Snow White and the Three Dwarfs  8)

That said, I've been put on notice that Boost Mobile is going to start doing away with this 'drop phone service' in April, 2019. They'll provide me with one (1) free smarty to make amends.

I really don't want to carry around four (4) smarties, but... we'll take it a step at a time.

Alas, technology will always fail you, in the end.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 02:56:32 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2019, 03:08:53 pm »
I like the look and feel of the Nokia 7+ [...]

Say Cheeeese...   ;D

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2019, 03:47:45 pm »
I was rereading that Nokia 9 presser, and something popped out at me...

Like most flagships of late, the Nokia 9 is a glass sandwich wrapped around an aluminum frame.

My Moto X4 is 'wrapped in glass'. It's unbelievably slick, and begging to be dropped and shattered/chipped.

"Hey, YOU, stupid. Come on, pussy. KILL ME! I dare you..."  :-[

I don't have the time or inclination to provide a 24/7 suicide watch for my phones.

I've put this "glass sandwich wrapped" phone in hiding, until my goto Poetic Revolution gorilla cage arrives.

More times than not, I 'butt carry' phones, and end up sitting on them, smashing them in rock-hard airplane seats, et cetera.

Just curious; do you guys use any protection, or just take your chances?