Choose style:

Author Topic: Of Laptops and Phones  (Read 560 times)

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
Of Laptops and Phones
« on: August 28, 2017, 06:54:59 am »
Purism Unveils Plans to Build Librem 5, the World’s First Encrypted, Open Smartphone Ecosystem Giving Users Complete Device Control

We believe phones should not track you nor exploit your digital life. We are in the middle of a digital rights revolution where you get to decide the future. We at Purism are building a phone that does not run Android nor iOS, but runs PureOS or any GNU/Linux distribution where all the source code is available.

SOURCE: https://goo.gl/JALrh9 *

* The material provided here is for informational purposes only and is not intended and
should not be considered an advertisement for, or endorsement of products or services.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 07:02:02 am by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
Meet the development team at the 2017 Debian Conference
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 07:24:05 am »
Meet the development team at the 2017 Debian Conference
We are proud to announce that we will be sponsoring and attending the 2017 Debian conference from August 1st to August 12 in Montréal, Canada.

Damn it !  I missed that one...

I would have gone to Montreal a week early, if I'd known about it.   :P

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 (64bit)
Re: Of Laptops and Phones
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 05:17:32 pm »
How many times...
https://www.engadget.com/2013/10/09/quasar-iv-encrypted-phone-production/?ncid=rss_truncated

https://www.wired.com/2015/09/review-blackphone-2/

Sounds like a good idea to me and you, but in reality (Like Win10 spyware), Joe Average doesn't give a s**t

And a Linux smartphone will only ever take off in any meaningful way when it gets picked up by someone with the clout of say Samsung and attracts a HUGE app ecosystem .. and if they do, they'll rename it for sure (like Android) :))

That said as a niche thing, I quite liked the look of the Ubuntu Phone .. the problem with these things is you know they'll be expensive, there'll be no apps, and they'll disappear after 2 years :(

[EDIT]

There's also the catch 22 of - If it's an American or Euro effort it's hard to trust there's no secretly mandated back door .. and if it's anyone else it's hard to trust for other reasons.

Or is that just tin hat me ?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 06:22:18 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 10:11:00 pm »
Sounded good at 4:00 AM.  ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 (64bit)
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 07:27:50 am »
LOL, don't get me wrong I'd love to see this succeed (or even for it to simply prompt mainstream discussion about phone/data privacy) .. but I just seriously doubt it will interest the unthinking cat pic fekbook sheep, so will get nowhere beyond a tiny niche then disappear :(

The "or any GNU/Linux distribution" does sound interesting though .. I maybe can feel a Peppermint hijacking coming on :D

"Peppermint" does sound better for a phone than "Ubuntu" or even "Pure" ;)
(except we can't steal the Apple "iOS" style naming convention, because "pOS" carries very different connotations)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 07:35:05 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Timo

• Open Source is more than the sum of its bytes
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM7 Respin (64bit) & PM8 (64bit)
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 10:45:51 am »
I guess I'm late, I think it's very interesting... but the funding isn't looking great :(

I liked the old Windows mobile thing (the PocketPC with Pen and an awesome sliding keyboard), because it was really like a PC in the Pocket. Looked a lot like XP, felt a lot like it and (the few applications that ran on it) actually ran like on a (very old) PC... the 1x 400MHz CPU wasn't that great, but a modern smartphone is slightly stronger..
I got it for free when the smartphones started appearing and did everything I needed to do for school on it. If I couldn't sleep during classes I was working on the presentations and stuff we had to do. That thing boosted my grades :D
I still have that thing, my only remaining full time windows machine, just in case i need MS Office :D

A PocketPeppermintPC would be awesome, although it wouldn't replace a regular smartphone... I mean most people don't know how to communicate without Whatsapp. Like on the PC, Peppermint is great but no Windows replacement, because your expected to use Windows.

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 04:58:55 pm »
I still have that thing, my only remaining full time windows machine, just in case i need MS Office :D

Unfortunately, [the lack of] MS Office is not an option for me. That's why I dual-boot Peppermint/'10' on my lappy.

Maybe, someday, I'll be able free the surly bonds of windersworld, but in the meantime, I'm just a penguin in a sea of sharks.

Concerning 'Game of Phones', I still haven't purchased a 'smarty'. I get by just fine with 2 flip phones, but ...

It would be nice to tether to my own personal mobile hotspot - save a lot of time, hunting down a connection.

Maybe 'they' should start small, and create a data only Linux phone - basically a secure, encrypted, mobile router with no tracking, and build on that.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 05:01:11 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline Timo

• Open Source is more than the sum of its bytes
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM7 Respin (64bit) & PM8 (64bit)
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 02:49:38 pm »
I'm still using my first smartphone, Android 4.2.2... I think they're at 8 now ::) Security updates are overrated on a highly insecure system :D

That's what I hope for - a basic Linux for the pocket. Android/iOS is more like a convenient multifunctional surveillance monitor.

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 11:27:24 am »
Concerning 'Game of Phones', I still haven't purchased a 'smarty'. I get by just fine with 2 flip phones, but ...

It would be nice to tether to my own personal mobile hotspot - save a lot of time, hunting down a connection.

Maybe 'they' should start small, and create a data only Linux phone - basically a secure, encrypted, mobile router with no tracking, and build on that.

i have a small LG e425g that works real good for hotspotting. A new LG E425g Optimus L3 II runs about sixty bucks here.

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 10:51:34 am »
i have a small LG e425g that works real good for hotspotting. A new LG E425g Optimus L3 II runs about sixty bucks here.

Nice phone. I wish it would work with my service provider's CDMA and 4G LTE network.

I'll probably go with the fairly small Motorola Moto E4 ($49.00 USD);)

« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 11:03:28 am by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 11:49:36 am »
Okay, alynur, you Svengali.  I've joined the zombie nation.

Your show n' tell did the deed.  I just ordered a Moto E4.

Guess I'll flip one of my flip-phone accounts to 2017 usage.

Gotta say, I'm going to miss the $3.00 USD/mo. grandfathered service, but hey...  ;D
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 11:55:55 am by VinDSL, Reason: Clarification »

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2017, 12:05:59 pm »

Nice phone. I wish it would work with my service provider's CDMA and 4G LTE network.

I'll probably go with the fairly small Motorola Moto E4 ($49.00 USD);)

That is a nice phone, and the price is killer, here it runs about $170 USD.  My only complaint would be it's size, too big for me. Looks like if I ever want to upgrade, I'll have no choice but to go bigger. I would like a front facing camera. Good luck with your new one, no more internet connection problems.

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2017, 12:43:49 pm »
That is a nice phone, and the price is killer, here it runs about $170 USD.  My only complaint would be it's size, too big for me. Looks like if I ever want to upgrade, I'll have no choice but to go bigger. I would like a front facing camera. Good luck with your new one, no more internet connection problems.

It's bigger than I want (5-inches), but the price is right, plus it's been getting mostly glowing reviews.

I played around with an Apple SE (4-inches) at a kiosk in Montreal QB, last month. That would be the perfect size, but my family has been down-talking Apple products and ecosystem, like "Whatever. Get an Apple, but you're on your own." LoL!

They're against the Moto E4 too, because of the low price, like "Whatever you want to do. You get what you pay for though." Supposedly it's made by Lenovo. How bad can it be?

I carry a dual-boot Dell i7 laptop with Peppermint/"10" installed and fully updated. I own a great digital camera, and equally great digital camcorder. I don't care about any of those functions in a phone. I'm only interested in a handful of apps that require Android/iOS - that's all.

Anyway, thanks for pushing me over the cliff. I needed a shove...  ;)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 01:47:33 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Added link »