Choose style:

Author Topic: From 5 to 7, so great interface... but... so slow...  (Read 851 times)

Offline aldi80s

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
From 5 to 7, so great interface... but... so slow...
« on: August 19, 2017, 10:10:27 pm »
Hello !!!

First of all, I'm using an ACER Netbook, AspireONE D250.  I've bought it in 2011, and yes, I used Jolicloud first, then Ubuntu.  Obviously time passed away and I had to change to a ligther one... so I started to experience with some Linux distibutions until I found Peppermint, I started to use the 5 for this netbook and other laptop: a 512mbs Toshiba Satellite 2006 (it works very fine at the Satellite just only for the LibreOffice using.) 
I really loved the Peppermint at the Netbook, working so great.  So I decided to upgrade to 7.... unfortunately I found so many lags... specially when I use Facebook chat... it takes time when I write... or LibreOffice Impress, takes time to load all...
I'm thinking to downgrade to 5 again.. or.. maybe 4? not sure...
But I wonder: is there any way to make the OS7 lighter for my netbook? I meant, could I do something in my OS to improve speed, and make it lighter?

Hope to read some useful suggestions...

Thanks you very much!!!!

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Re: From 5 to 7, so great interface... but... so slow...
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 02:07:49 am »
Hi aldi80s, welcome to the Peppermint Forum.  It's very nice to meet you  :).  There's not really anything simple you can do to make Peppermint 8 lighter.  I suspect the sluggishness you're experiencing, is due to hardware and software settings.  Could you please open a terminal window with the following keystrokes:

Ctrl+Alt+t

Run the following commands, (copy & paste)  into the newly opened terminal window.  Post the outputs back to the forum:
Code: [Select]
inxi -F
followed by:
free -h
and finally:
cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness
My mother-in-law has exactly the same machine as you.  It's running Peppermint 6.  Initially it was really sluggish.  To rectify this, I increased the RAM memory to the maximum of, 2GB and reduced the swappiness from the default 60, to a more reasonable 3.  The little laptop trots alone quite nimbly now.  The AspireONE D250 is never going to be a fire breathing dragon.  It is a very capable little laptop though ;).
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 02:19:34 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: From 5 to 7, so great interface... but... so slow...
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 07:53:40 am »
With only 512MB I think you'll be hard pushed to find any Linux these days that doesn't start to swap as soon as you open a modern web browser.

Browsers are heavier (because of added functionality) than they used to be and so are the webpages themselves (as web devs use those features).

In reality PM7 itself wasn't "that" much heavier than 5/6 (about 30MB between 6 --> 7 IIRC from a cold boot on my test machine, but that figure will differ for different hardware) so as Andy suggests setting the swappiness lower may help, but there's nothing like more RAM ;)
(can't remember the difference between 5 --> 6)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec