Author Topic: Greetz from Montreal  (Read 2751 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Greetz from Montreal
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2017, 03:03:39 pm »
Exercise is no answer .. you have to jog for roughly an hour to burn off a single doughnut, you could easily find you have to spend half your waking day jogging .. besides which though I guess jogging would give you less time to eat, you could guarantee someone would start up a cheap food shop that jogged right along with you or delivered to you on the move with drones.
(giving "fast food" a whole new meaning)

[EDIT]

Besides which if everyone spent half their life jogging, you could pretty much guarantee some future group of medical 'experts' would come out with a report saying you'd have been healthier being fat .. such is life ::)

Biology makes us crave fat, social pressure makes us not want to be .. go figure :-\
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 03:17:29 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2017, 08:27:55 pm »
I can do without donuts.  That's how vendors attempt to coerce us, at work, when selling their wares.  I'm quite immune to them.

Men are but stomaches.  When I've had my fill of salesmen, I dispatch them with a belch.

However, I must admit, I just consumed a nice Crème Brûlée for dessert -- I'm such a sucker for those things ...   ::)

Offline pin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 12:38:08 am »
You are right PCNetSpec...
The worst thing is that the food the planet is able to produce in one year is finishing earlier every year. Although, it should be enough to feed the world population 1.5x, still are a lot of people without food on a daily basis. Others (we) are overfed and fooled to consume, not only food and drinks (buy two for one stuff or plus-menus), but also everything else.
Borough, consume, repeat...
Sadly, it still seems to be growing in this direction  :'(
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 12:39:53 am by pin »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2017, 02:57:23 am »
I hereby decree the modern international spelling is now Doh!-Nutz :)

I also decree.....

I'm now hungry, Oh and Wednesday is now international spelling realignment day .. next week we're tackling coloured/colored doh!-nutz and the possible overuse of food kullering.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 03:05:42 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2017, 04:16:15 am »
However, I must admit, I just consumed a nice Crème Brûlée for dessert -- I'm such a sucker for those things ...   ::)

You have to have some good family Mexican restaurants back home in Arizona --meaning you have to have a nearby source for some good flan.  I had to look up Crème Brûlée, but that's really what it is. (Custard with caramel)  Now I'm wondering if you had some Crème Brûlée in Montreal --or any good French Onion Soup?  Labatt Blue? ;D
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2017, 04:28:12 am »
Now I'm wondering if you had some Crème Brûlée in Montreal --or any good French Onion Soup?  Labatt Blue? ;D

Oui to Crème Brûlée in Montreal and French Onion Soup.  Haven't tried the Labatt Blue yet - been drinking Molson Canadian, so far.

I'll try that Perk - not leaving until Saturday - wanted to explore Montreal some more - interesting place...  :)

Offline Timo

• Open Source is more than the sum of its bytes
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM7 Respin (64bit) & PM8 (64bit)
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2017, 05:32:29 am »
Others (we) are overfed and fooled to consume, not only food and drinks (buy two for one stuff or plus-menus), but also everything else.

But only mass produced food. The EU is basically terminating regional food supplies. Probably because it's the only way to open this market, regional food is/was often not only better but cheaper as well. Nowadays the local baker isn't allowed to use eggs and instead has to buy the liquid egg from big farms, because eggs from the local farmer are unhygienic. Now we have an egg-scandal. The local mills were shut down because they used unprotected wood as containment for fluor, unhygienic. This got reversed because fluor gets moldy in stainless steel containments with condensation and you need unprotected wood to store fluor for longer periods. The local millers are all already ruined. The farmer can't sell the milk as it's coming out of the cow and so on...
Luckily my grandparents (from both sides) are farmers and this is going to get continued (only for own use, nothing getting sold). So I'm not that affected by the food industry, because it doesn't taste well compared to that.

I'm not hungry, just had some deer with spaetzle in red wine sauce and potato salad with cucumber. And elderflower ice cream as desert. Nothing goes over grannys cooking skills, she's even making the icecream fresh :D :D :D
Holidays at home can be pretty sweet, too :D :D :D

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2017, 05:36:34 am »
I know you can't do everything here, VinDSL, but if you can visit a few places:  Mont Royal is gorgeous, then there's Old Montreal, China Town, and then there are numerous street markets that sell churned honey --which is delicious. ;)
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2017, 06:31:26 am »
I know you can't do everything here, VinDSL, but if you can visit a few places:  Mont Royal is gorgeous, then there's Old Montreal, China Town, and then there are numerous street markets that sell churned honey --which is delicious. ;)

SHhhhhhhh ... don't tell anyone.  I'm in a board meeting right now.   ;D

I walked to Old Montreal and China Town via the 'Underground City' Saturday & Sunday.  Got 15 more miles to explore underground.

I'll probably go to Mont Royal via Grey Line [tour bus] tomorrow.  2-day unlimited pass is $55 CAD.  Beats taxi prices.

GTG BBL

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2017, 09:34:44 am »
Only thin Americans I know, back home, are meth addicts

LOL, we Brits are quickly moving in that direction too .. don't remember seeing many fat people in the 70's/80's/90's, totally different story now :(

Stumbled upon this today.  It seems to fit right in with the two strands of this discussion.

Offline Timo

• Open Source is more than the sum of its bytes
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM7 Respin (64bit) & PM8 (64bit)
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2017, 12:36:26 pm »
Stumbled upon this today.
"... there are around a billion people on Earth above the advisable weight range."

Quote from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunger
795 million people in the world do not have enough food to lead a healthy active life.

So the average weight should be healthy ;)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2017, 01:21:48 pm »
"... there are around a billion people on Earth above the advisable weight range."

Wow!  That's about 1 in 7 of us. :o

Quote from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunger
795 million people in the world do not have enough food to lead a healthy active life.

So the average weight should be healthy ;)

Yes, indeed. ;)

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2017, 03:32:16 am »
Well, I'm back from the trip... with a summer cold.  Could feel it developing, in my throat, on Day Three.  :P

In retrospect, I *think* I picked it up using those damn Worldpay credit card machines. They were filthy and dripping with germs.

These devices were everywhere I went, in Canada - taxi cabs, restaurants, hotel, bars, shopping centers, museums, churches, et cetera.

I'm sure that's where I picked up the cold virus.

You guys ever see/use these credit card machines ?!?!?

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64 bit
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2017, 05:23:48 am »
Glad you had a great time, hope you get over the cold soon :)

Nice to hear about your adventures.

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

Peppermint user since Fire / Ice

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2017, 05:41:18 am »
You guys ever see/use these credit card machines ?!?!?

Yeah there are similar things over here.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec