Author Topic: The Great Suspender  (Read 1121 times)

Online grafiksinc

• Developer
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): --Debian--
The Great Suspender
« on: August 04, 2017, 09:05:03 pm »
I thought I would share this... You know,  I run P7 64 on this ASUS X205TA:https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ASUS_EeeBook_X205TA/
It is a nice little netbook and runs P7 pretty well. The only con I have with it is the 2GB memory it came with.
As you all know when you start using Chromium the memory starts to get sucked away fast  >:(, being I have many tabs open all the time  on Chromium this eventually kills the performance :(.
But recently I started using this add-on The Great Suspender: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/the-great-suspender/klbibkeccnjlkjkiokjodocebajanakg I gotta admit it has really helped me keep Chromium in check and keep my little ASUS humming along while browsing the internet..  8)

« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 07:51:09 am by grafiksinc »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: The Great Suspender
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 03:59:50 am »
Nice find, I'll check this out .. cheers :)

Even though I'm a Firefox user it might be worth eveluating whether we should have this by default .. have you noticed any downsides/side-effects ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online grafiksinc

• Developer
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): --Debian--
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 08:06:24 am »
hmmm..... no down side for what I expected from it, no crashes or conflicts so far....... then again( I only use three add-ons) uBlock Origins, Ghostery and The Great Suspender.
I really have seen an improvement on the memory usage though.

But with that said, if you stay off a tab for awhile "not sure" the time limit,  it will suspend meaning the suspended webpage will reload when you click it. 
So if you have say 7 tabs open and you stay on one for awhile the rest will suspend automatically, for me I don't mind it because this is the effect I want.

I don't know......... I think maybe  others might not want that by default. :-\

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 09:35:50 am »
Yeah I was hoping it'd be a bit more automatic and transparent to the user .. checking it out now.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Ly

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 02:59:48 am »
hmmm..... no down side for what I expected from it, no crashes or conflicts so far....... then again( I only use three add-ons) uBlock Origins, Ghostery and The Great Suspender.
I really have seen an improvement on the memory usage though.

But with that said, if you stay off a tab for awhile "not sure" the time limit,  it will suspend meaning the suspended webpage will reload when you click it. 
So if you have say 7 tabs open and you stay on one for awhile the rest will suspend automatically, for me I don't mind it because this is the effect I want.

I don't know......... I think maybe  others might not want that by default. :-\

Reloading the suspending webpages isn't that great imo  :-\
it'll be a history browser at this point, i'll give it a try.

EDIT :
it suspends webpages depending on a time that you can choose, i just tried it with a 20sec timer, when i came back to a page i left for 20sec i noticed the favicon on the tab being more transparent (it means it's suspended) , i had to click and reload the page (you can set this to automatic in the settings).
so i guess it's useful especially when running many tabs at once.
There is also an option that prevents suspending tabs playing audio (video) which is nice.
i'll keep it for now and see if i notice any problem.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 03:10:10 am by Ly »