Choose style:

Author Topic: The Irony That is Ubuntu  (Read 559 times)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
The Irony That is Ubuntu
« on: August 08, 2017, 10:13:51 am »
Back in 2011, Ubuntu shocked its user base by switching to Unity as its default desktop for Ubuntu 11.04.  Didn't bother me much, I was running Peppermint already back then.  Anyway, people whined, moaned, and even left Ubuntu for alternatives like Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mint and others.  So bad was the hate for the Unity desktop that the MInt team even promised that they would **not** go to Unity and instead would "figure something out."  That prompted team Mint to develop the Cinnamon desktop as an alternative to Unity and even the default Gnome 3 desktop.  They also adopted the MATE desktop, which was yet another Unity/Gnome-Shell alternative that was forked from the Gnome 2 desktop.

Well, as I'm sure most people know by now, Ubuntu has once again shocked the Linux world (or at least part of it) by announcing that they're dropping Unity in favor of a standard Gnome 3 desktop for their upcoming release.  So, no more Unity.  Unity 7 has been abandoned and development for Unity 8 has halted.  As a result, Ubuntu-Gnome will be disbanded and its resources will be shifted to the official Ubuntu distribution.  So, the 7 year nightmare that was Unity will be ended and everyone is thrilled, right?  Right?  Well, maybe not.  It seems even Unity has its following, despite being very similar to Gnome-Shell, the default desktop for Gnome 3, and nowhere near as customizable.  So, an independent group has forked Unity into a new project called Yunit (not making that up, they literally just switched the Y to the beginning of the word.)  They're picking up Unity 8 development where Ubuntu left off.  So, I suppose next we're going to have a distribution called "Yubuntu," or something like that, with the Yunit desktop as its default.  :))

Anyway, I find it ironic that Ubuntu made a move that nobody wanted.  Yet, now that they're finally officially ending that move, there are still people who liked it well enough to fork it and continue development.  I guess it just speaks to the diversity of the Linux community.  :)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: The Irony That is Ubuntu
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 12:47:44 pm »
When the Gnome team basically disagreed with pretty much any changes/inclusions Ubuntu proposed for Gnome 3 Ubuntu were left with no alternative but to do their own desktop.
(funny how when Ubuntu do that people call it fragmentation and bitch, but when Mint do it it's "user choice" and a good thing)

Everyone's gonna miss the HUD though .. I couldn't stand Unity, but it wasn't all bad it had some good ideas .. maybe they now feel able to achieve the same things as G3 extensions, that would be cool and help other distros out too.

Gnome should never have closed themselves off the way they did .. and unlike Ubuntu, Gnome CONTINUE to not listen.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 02:44:09 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 01:51:46 pm »
Honestly, I never found Gnome-Shell any better than Unity.  To me, they were practically the same.  I just liked "Fallback Mode," or whatever it was called, where you could have a standard layout with a menu instead of a tablet style launcher setup.

Though, I never really took to Cinnamon or MATE.  I haven't really liked Gnome 3 that well in general.  No matter which desktop interface you use, it's still less customizable than many Linux desktops.

Like I said, none of this really affected me because I was already in Peppermint by then.  I just find it ironic that, after all the complaining, there are people saving Unity.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 02:56:37 pm »
I haven't a problem with people forking Unity, who knows what will come out of it, the ability to fork is how Linux/FOSS fosters fresh ideas and new direction :)

In saying that I wasn't in any way suggesting you do have a problem ;)

I love a good fork me, brightens my day no end.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 02:58:54 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec