Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint 7/8 - Playing content from a Universal Plug'n'Play/DLNA Server in VLC  (Read 1384 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
There's a known bug in libupnp6 that stops VLC from being able to scan your local network for Universal Plug'n'Play streaming servers.

The bug is documented here:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=813249
and here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libupnp/+bug/1571199
with a downloadable fix in comment #2 from the second link

But I'm generally not happy downloading unknown packages from the web unless I can also get at the source code .. so I've built a package specifically for Peppermint 7 / 7 respin / 8 from the original source code, but simply with the offending patch removed.

You can install my version by running these commands in sequence:
Code: [Select]
sudo add apt-repository ppa:mark-pcnetspec/libupnp6
then
sudo apt-get update
then
sudo apt-get install libupnp6
VLC should then be able to find UP'n'P/DLNA steaming servers on your local network by following the following instructions:-

Open VLC

In VLC go to: View > Playlists

In the left hand column, scroll down and click on Universal Plug'n'Play

In the right hand pane you should see your streaming server .. after a while a little arrow will appear next to it .. click this arrow to navigate to what you want to play.

NOTE - depending on how much stuff you have on your server it may take some time before the little arrow drop menu appears because VLC has to scan the entire directory structure of your streaming server.

If for some reason you ever want to go back to the Ubuntu default version of libupnp6, just run:
sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
then
sudp ppa-purge ppa:mark-pcnetspec/libupnp6

Thanks to murraymint for pointing out the initial fix :)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 12:19:54 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
If anyone tests this, please let me know if it works for you (or if you have any other issues with VLC after updating libupnp6) .. if it works, and there's no side-effects I may push it as an update.

When I say "no side-effects", I'm not envisioning any but I have to ask right :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec