Choose style:

Author Topic: Linuxium adds support for Peppermint  (Read 546 times)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 (64bit)
Linuxium adds support for Peppermint
« on: July 30, 2017, 04:29:07 pm »
I just spotted this over at the Linuxium blog:
http://linuxiumcomau.blogspot.com/2017/07/rolling-kernels-target-processors-and.html

Linuxium have added Peppermint to their isorespin.sh script .. so if you want Peppermint on those Intel Atom "Z" series devices that have a 32bit UEFI bootloader, you now can :)
(such as the Intel Compute Stick, etc.)

I'm super stoked about this, and after I test it out we may host a prebuilt ISO :)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 04:43:31 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8
Re: Linuxium adds support for Peppermint
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 05:48:14 pm »
That's great news, I'll be trying it out too when I get the chance.  8)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8, 64-bit
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 06:31:39 pm »
This is very cool ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline cavy

• Trusted User
  • Caveman
    • View Profile
    • PeppermentOS Pixies
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Seven & Eight
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 07:22:35 pm »
So, this is for 32 bit systems.

Okay, being a pedant, is this really progress...?

Thought 64 bit was the future of computing...?
“We know what we are, but not what we may be.”

Desktop Intel Quad Core i7 240Gb-SSD 16Gb ram
Laptop    Intel  Dual Core i5 240Gb-SSD  8Gb ram

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 07:23:46 pm »
Oh, WoW !

Ian Morrison rawks !!!

Just sent him a connect request on LI ...   ;)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 07:35:28 pm »
So, this is for 32 bit systems.

Okay, being a pedant, is this really progress...?

Thought 64 bit was the future of computing...?

NO .. this is for systems that have a 64bit CPU but a 32bit UEFI implementation .. currently Peppermint can't be installed on those because only our 64bit ISO supports UEFI but it only has the 64bit UEFI bootloader.

With this script, you can run it against the Peppermint 8 64bit ISO and it'll add the 32bit UEFI bootloader .. making Peppermint 8 64bit work on these systems that only have a 32bit UEFI implementation.

As most of these devices are also based on the Intel Atom Baytrail/Cherrytrail "Z" series SoC's, they also have problems with wifi/bluetooth, and audio .. the script can also fix those issues.

And for Apollolake (X series Atoms I think) SoC's it'll even add the reFind bootloader.

Basically it remasters our ISO to work on those 32bit UEFI systems (but a 64bit CPU) it wouldn't previously.

Besides which, even if this was something aimed at 32bit users (which it isn't), I'd still be happy .. there are still LOTS of 32bit systems out there .. 64bit may be the present and future, but 32bit isn't history quite yet ;)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 07:41:16 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Matt-Bash

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8
New user
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 01:29:39 pm »
Hello Peppermint team.
I suppose I shall give a little bit of a background on my situation. I apologize in advance if this is a long read. I have a lenovo Ideapad 100S-11IBY. Basically a little netbook. Nice little machine with pretty solid hardware.  There are many problems with this laptop running linux you can see videos all over youtube and posts all over the net.. With no solutions. It is using the atom processor and has the 32 bit UEFI and 64 bit processor. Naturally I was stumped for a while on how to get a bootable USB stick to load. Finally after a month of having a Windows 10 paper weight ( I have only been using linux for a month and a half) I finally found linuxiums page on a fluke. His isorespin.sh script confused me, so I just started downloading his random ISO respins hoping one would work.. They booted up, but with massive hardware problems.. Touch pad not working , no keyboard.. no wifi, no sound.. The list goes on for unrecognized drivers. Finally I tried his most recent Lubuntu 17.10 artful build. It worked!!!(with some bugs) But minimal bugs. I was so happy to have my laptop in working order again. I do like Lubuntu.. But its desktop is a little oldschool in the aesthetics department and is not very customizable.. But i liked the idea of having this light weight distro on this light weight laptop.. It makes sense.. and its so much faster than on Windows.. Then I seen Linuxiums write up on your Distro. I had to have it, lightweight, modern, customizable, elegant etc.. But he had no pre made respin in order. Just offering support and your standard 64 bit download.. So , I tackled learning how to work the CLI script, and after testing a few Kernels I found a decent build for your beautiful modern light weight OS on my Lenovo. The trick was basically using the 4.13-rc2 kernel . So, out of the Box... Wifi Works.. normal drivers, keyboard, mouse etc works. Using a USB to ethernet adapter, my eth0 works. I have not tested blue tooth yet, or HDMI . I plan to soon. Sound is the trick.. The 100S uses two drivers. The lubuntu build worked fine. But since peppermint uses VLC player stock .. that is the problem. How ever you can use the Audio tab to alternate between the sound drivers.. But it is still a little buggy, But an easy fix I would assume. I have not tested youtube or anything of the kind yet, because I am in China at the moment and need to get my vpn up and running on the system to start checking for bugs in those area's. For those interested here is the log to my Peppermint build.

Script '/usr/local/bin/isorespin.sh' called with '-i Peppermint-8-20170527-amd64.iso --atom -k v4.13-rc2 -l rtl8723bs_4.12.0_amd64.deb -f linuxium-install-UCM-files.sh -f wrapper-linuxium-install-UCM-files.sh -f linuxium-install-broadcom-drivers.sh -f wrapper-linuxium-install-broadcom-drivers.sh -c wrapper-linuxium-install-UCM-files.sh -c wrapper-linuxium-install-broadcom-drivers.sh' ...
Work directory 'isorespin' used ...
ISO '/home/matt/Downloads/Peppermint-8-20170527-amd64.iso' respun ...
Bootloader 'GRUB' added ...
Kernel updated with mainline kernel version '4.13.0-041300rc2-generic' ...
Local package '/home/matt/Downloads/rtl8723bs_4.12.0_amd64.deb' added ...
File '/home/matt/Downloads/linuxium-install-UCM-files.sh' added ...
File '/home/matt/Downloads/wrapper-linuxium-install-UCM-files.sh' added ...
File '/home/matt/Downloads/linuxium-install-broadcom-drivers.sh' added ...
File '/home/matt/Downloads/wrapper-linuxium-install-broadcom-drivers.sh' added ...
Command run ...
# wrapper-linuxium-install-UCM-files.sh
./linuxium-install-UCM-files.sh: Extracting UCM files ...
sudo: unable to resolve host matt-desktop
./linuxium-install-UCM-files.sh: Installing UCM files ...
./linuxium-install-UCM-files.sh: Reloading UCM driver ...
./linuxium-install-UCM-files.sh: Installation of UCM finished
# wrapper-linuxium-install-broadcom-drivers.sh
./linuxium-install-broadcom-drivers.sh: Extracting Broadcom files ...
./linuxium-install-broadcom-drivers.sh: Installing Broadcom files ...
./linuxium-install-broadcom-drivers.sh: Reloading Broadcom driver ...
./linuxium-install-broadcom-drivers.sh: Installing Broadcom bluetooth service ...
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/brcmbt.service, pointing to /lib/systemd/system/brcmbt.service.
./linuxium-install-broadcom-drivers.sh: Starting Broadcom bluetooth service ...
Running in chroot, ignoring request.
./linuxium-install-broadcom-drivers.sh: Installation of Broadcom finished
Respun ISO created as 'linuxium-v4.13-rc2-Peppermint-8-20170527-amd64.iso'.

Seems I have on issue: 'sudo: unable to resolve host matt-desktop' Unsure why, need to talk to Linuxium about it. Didnt seem to cause a problem with the actual ISO image anyways.
I also ran inxi -F and Network card comes up as " Card: Network card not found!' But wifi works.. so not sure about that.
Also the only major issue is the battery. It charges fine . But the percentage is wrong, and the battery low power light turns on and stays on even after the computer is off and lid is closed. But the machine functions well enough for now.
I mean to post a link to my respin on Linuxiums blog to hopefully target other people with this laptop.  I hope he can help me make it better, hopefully bug free. And of course with help from you guys :) With that being said, your distro has made me very happy  you and Linuxium have raised my Lenovo from the dead. Since I am currently in China, I only have a Chinese debit card at the moment. It is 'Union Pay' anyone know ways that Union pay is supported? I would very much like to donate to this distribution's team, and Linuxium as well.

With that being said, one thing that attracted me to Lubuntu was their option to be apart of the team, help test and report bugs. I am an aspiring young developer and flying back home in a few months to enter University to attain a computer science degree. I have been taking online classes on Linux and Python in the mean time to improve my understanding and skill.  But I really like this distro, and I was wondering if Peppermint offers the same kind of 'joining the team' idea, to help in anyway I can , and hopefully one day be competent enough to code. Anyways Hope these bug reports help. Thanks again for the Distro

Matt

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 02:10:41 pm »
Whilst it's impossible for me to say for SURE because isorespin.sh isn't actually a shell script as the extension suggests so isn't easily "readable".

I'm "pretty sure" the
messages don't mean anything.

Great to see you've managed to get Linuxium/Peppermint spun up and working reasonably well .. please keep us updated on any progress you make with the last few issues .. All interesting stuff and something I want to test myself on a Compute Stick I have as soon as I can find time.

Oh, and welcome to the forum and our little community :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Matt-Bash

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 12:22:48 pm »
Thank you kind sir. I am really happy with this OS , the way it performs (even with the bugs) is amazing. The integration from all the best linux distro's it what really excites me. I run linux mint 18.1 on my desktop. And I like how peppermint uses all the best features of that distro. I am really considering backing up all my data, and transferring Peppermint in place of Mint.  I mean ofcourse Mint has more " bells and whistles " But I dont see the need for them, and I dont use them. I think getting peppermint as a supported distro on 32 bit UEFI 64 bit processing systems is a big role. So many tablets and small cheap laptops that people would much rather have a Linux OS on. The bloated Windows 10 compared to this current set up is truly a no brainer, even with the bugs. This is ofcourse in my humbled opinion. Many Chromebooks out there too. So i just bought one yesterday. I have to remove a small screw on the motherboard to begin installing this respin. I'm curious to see how it works out. I will update that build in the "what distro are you running " section

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2017, 12:38:27 pm »
Thanks for the kind words of encouragement Matt, much appreciated :)

This is as new to us as it is you .. in fact you're ahead of me here :-[ so as much feedback on how it goes the better, we REALLY appreciate the input :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Matt-Bash

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2017, 12:54:03 pm »
No worries bud, I am happy to help. This past 2 months has been a wonderful journey into the world of Linux. And doing things like this helps me learn a great deal. And if I can help peppermint developers bring more support to this wonderful distro, then I have a smile on my face :)

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2017, 01:01:41 pm »
So many tablets and small cheap laptops that people would much rather have a Linux OS on.

Not to mention the HDMI sticks. These Atom processors are not going anywhere and there are a lot of them about. It's great to see Linux gradually becoming more usable on the devices.

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 09:08:15 am »
I finally had a go at respinning the Peppermint 8 ISO last night. The spin completed but it won't boot on the Atom device. It doesn't even get to GRUB, which suggests that the 32-bit bootloader is not being added correctly. I might try an older method to convert the bootloader on the respun ISO to see if I can make it boot and how much of the other stuff is working.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2017, 09:20:23 am »
Hey murraymint, can you please check your PM's :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec