Choose style:

Author Topic: Networking with Windows  (Read 390 times)

Offline Bear

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
Networking with Windows
« on: July 16, 2017, 12:56:07 pm »
I've just installed Peppermint 8 on an antiquated Acer netbook in the hope that I can use it to access OpenOffice text documents on a desktop running Windows Vista. Despite having only limited experience of Linux, installing Peppermint was quick and easy, and installing LibreOffice Writer and the basic Windows fonts was straightforward. My problem now is how to persuade Peppermint to see the Windows machines on my network. The desktop (running Vista) and two laptops (running Win10) can see each other. The Acer appears to the Windows machines but all I see is an empty printers folder. The Acer admits the existence of a windows network but when I try to browse it I get the message "Unable to mount location" along with "failed to retrieve share list from server: Connection timed out" Where please do I look for instructions to make this work? I'm old enough to remember the MS-Dos, CPM and iRMX command lines so opening a terminal window won't frighten me.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 (64bit)
Re: Networking with Windows
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 05:25:08 pm »
To make the Windows boxes visible to Linux, you'll (on the windows boxes) need to go to:-

Network and Sharing Center > Change advanced sharing settings

Then under the current profile (probably "Private") > File and  printer sharing

put a tick in "Turn on file and printer sharing"

and make sure "Turn on network discovery" is also ticked.

Peppermint should now be able to see any folders you've actually shared under Windows.

To share a folder from Peppermint to Windows you'll need to (on the Peppermint box) go to:-

menu > System Tools > Samba

click the "Add" button, and share a folder in your home folder like thus:-

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 05:28:51 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Bear

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 07:22:12 am »
Thanks for that. It's got me half-way in a few minutes. Setting up shares in Samba was straightforward and the two Windows boxes can now see my pictures and documents on the Peppermint box. The two Windows boxes can also see each other's files so I infer that the way I had sharing set up on them was correct.
However: the Peppermint box can't see either Windows box. It knows that there's a Windows network and can get as far as seeing something called WORKGROUP,. From there it stalls. A box comes up saying "Opening WORKGROUP" for a few seconds then "Unable to mount location. Failed to retrieve share list from server: Connection timed out"

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 08:30:39 am »
Is your firewall on the Windows server blocking the connection maybe?

Offline jlschwartz

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 - 64bit
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 09:35:03 am »
Also, if you have the firewall in Peppermint turned on it can block your network access.  Turn off the Peppermint firewall and see if it works.  If so, you need to set up rules to get around that. 

Offline Bear

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 12:34:56 pm »
Isnoozed the Windows firewall and turned of Peppermints, which was set to Home, allow incoming and outgoing. No difference. Something I have found is that if I edit my account settings, there's a n unticked box under User Priviledges that allows connecting to wireless and ethernet networks. Problem with ticking it is that on a 1028 by 600 screen I can't see the button at the bottom to confirm the changes. Is there a terminal setting I can use instead?

Offline Bear

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 05:08:28 pm »
Editing the account settings didn't help. The little red icon in the top left let me move the window to hit the OK button but to no avail.  Windows boxes can see in but Peppermint can't see out.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 05:16:47 pm »
you can "Alt+Click" and drag a window to move it.

Though I doubt that'll make any difference.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Bear

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 07:02:08 pm »
Once I'd reached the stage where three Windows machines could look into the Peppermint  box I turned to Google. I found this:- https://www.liberiangeek.net/2012/03/how-to-fix-failed-to-retrieve-share-list-from-server-in-ubuntu-12-04-11-10-when-file-sharing-with-windows/ and, more in hope that expectation, tried it. The Peppermint box an now browse files on all three Windows machines. What it can't do is open documents with LlibreOffice Writer although it can open pdfs with Document Viewer. It's now too late at night to continue so I'll reboot everything in the morning and tr yagain.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 08:00:16 pm »
Do they open if you copy them to a local folder first .. then open them from there ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Bear

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 04:33:10 am »
They do. It looks as if LibreOffice has problems running on one box and editing something on another. I've nothing much else to do for a while so I'll experiment.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 05:21:29 pm »
Does this happen in both directions ?

ie.
Can LO on Windows open odt's directly on the Peppermint box ?
and
Can LO on Peppermint open odt's directly on the Windows box ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Bear

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2017, 11:37:21 am »
I've made a little progress. The share settings on the Vista box allowed only reading. Once I'd sorted that the Vista and W10 boxes can edit each other's documents with both LibreOffice and OpenOffice. That's the goot bit.

If I open up a shared folder on the Vista box with Peppermint I can create files on it. If I name one trial.odt I can open it with OpenOffice under Vista and W12 but LibreOffice under Peppermint doesn't want to know even though the file was created via the Peppermint box. It doesn't look like a networking problem as Peppermint can open and edit dext documents so I'm inferring that it's some oddity of LibreOffice, which will happily edit local copies of documents.