Choose style:

Author Topic: Why Linux Mint Won  (Read 5680 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada ms.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Why Linux Mint Won
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2017, 10:33:44 pm »
Xfce is a lightweight desktop environment for UNIX-like operating systems. It aims to be fast and low on system resources, while still being visually appealing and user friendly.

Xfce embodies the traditional UNIX philosophy of modularity and re-usability. It consists of a number of components that provide the full functionality one can expect of a modern desktop environment. They are packaged separately and you can pick among the available packages to create the optimal personal working environment.

Another priority of Xfce is adherence to standards, specifically those defined at freedesktop.org.

Xfce can be installed on several UNIX platforms. It is known to compile on Linux, NetBSD, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Solaris, Cygwin and MacOS X, on x86, PPC, Sparc, Alpha...

Source:  https://xfce.org/about

This sounds like the way things ought to be! ;)
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2017, 03:59:40 am »
Good morning everyone...
That's kind of... further than the point I was trying to make

You've nailed it!

Xfce is, "most probably" the most functional DE and as PCNetSpec "shows", probably the most used as well. But, others do get the hype.

If Xfce woundn't be there anymore , I would most probably use fluxbox and not one of the heavy ones. Even though a lot of fluxbox documentation links available end up on a 404 error - document not found...

Fluxbox is simple, very configurable and can actually look really nice.

Skickat frn min SM-G900F via Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 04:30:18 pm by pin »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2017, 06:36:21 am »
Xfce (along with LXDE and the *box's) is also very modular .. it's quite easy to swap out components without breaking other bits.

THAT is what I admire so much about those DE's .. they more closely adhere to the UNIX philosophy than the newer DE's which IMO are becoming a bunch of untangleable dependencies (have the whole thing or not at all).

That is quite possibly why so many derivative distros choose them .. it's easier to 'make them your own', which I thought was the way Linux/FOSS development worked .. ie. make it easy for people to string things together in new and imaginative ways and everyone benefits when the cream of the ideas rise to the top. That's lost in the new 'holistic' DE's where only really the authors can implement new ideas because any small change requires a ton of other dependant changes, so the "idea pool" shrinks risking stagnation.

And for John - Yep, G3 as an underlying tech is very modular, pliable, and extensible, but (so far) the resulting DE's (or shells) tend not to be .. I have nothing against G3, but I do against GS/Cinnamon/Unity/Pantheon/etc.
(though Gnome ARE tending to make G3 more difficult to extend outside 'their' vision lately .. take client side decorations for example)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 07:02:16 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec