Choose style:

Author Topic: Because The Internet Shouldn't Have a Slow Lane  (Read 3304 times)

Offline Pancho

• Newly Subscribed
  • just a newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Because The Internet Shouldn't Have a Slow Lane
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2017, 06:36:07 pm »
This:

Actually, the FCC can’t just change the rules whenever. The Administrative Procedure Act means Pai has to present "substantial evidence" in favor of a change, which is why he’s going on about capex.
This is just trickery from AT&T – remember, they run one of the largest lobbying shops in DC. If there’s a law written, they’ll be the ones writing it.

Also i re-do petition with my own info @perknh  ;)

just looking around!!

Offline mac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7-8-9
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2017, 07:07:53 pm »
@mac
I had to edit out what I wrote earlier; AT&T is trying to put one over on us. >:(

AT&T’s ‘support’ for net neutrality means tricking customers to fight against it

Read carefully

By Jacob Kastrenakes for The Verge

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/13/15964202/att-fake-support-of-net-neutrality-protests

Yeah, figures, doesn't it?  Whatever changes (if any) that come about will be done under the guise of  "Internet Protection" or "Public Safety."  That's usually the mechanism under which our freedoms are eroded, in this country, at least.   Truth is it's all about the money. 
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2017, 10:33:19 pm »
Whatever changes (if any) that come about will be done under the guise of  "Internet Protection" or "Public Safety."  That's usually the mechanism under which our freedoms are eroded, in this country, at least.   Truth is it's all about the money.

You're right, our freedoms are being eroded, and it's all for the holy dollar bill. ::) 

I know we can't completely avoid dealing with these megacorporations since they run just about everything we interact with now, but I'll do my best to avoid having my money go in AT&T's direction. 

I still believe in the power of dollar voting.  It's about the only kind of voting these megacorporations will listen to. ;)
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 07:55:50 am »
Here's an update on this topic.

Record 9 million comments flood FCC on net neutrality

By Mike Snider for USA Today.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/news/2017/07/19/record-9-million-comments-flood-fcc-net-neutrality/488042001/

And here's an example of throttling:

Verizon Admits To Throttling Netflix Streams, Blames Network Optimization Trials

By Brittany Goetting for HotHardware

https://hothardware.com/news/verizon-admits-to-throttling-netflix-streams-blames-network-optimization-trials

« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 09:45:37 pm by perknh »
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2017, 10:59:41 pm »
No matter where you stand, this is what you need to know about net neutrality

By Julian Chokkattu for Digital Trends

When is the vote?

The FCC will decide on Chairman Pai’s proposal on December 14. It’s expected to pass 3-2, with the two Republican commissioners siding with Pai, and the two Democratic commissioners rejecting it.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/features/why-you-should-care-about-net-neutrality/

Offline pin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2017, 11:43:05 pm »
Scary stuff!!! I wonder what will happen in Europe? Hopefully, we will be different... but, time will tell

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2017, 05:17:09 am »
Scary stuff!!! I wonder what will happen in Europe? Hopefully, we will be different... but, time will tell

Yes, it is.  i'm certain most Americans do not want go down this path, and yet... ::)

I have concerns about Europe too.