Choose style:

Author Topic: Packages for Engineering students  (Read 703 times)

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
Packages for Engineering students
« on: September 12, 2017, 04:40:40 pm »
Hello Peppermint people. I'm trying to help out a friend of mine who has a son who just started studying engineering and he needs to secure a laptop for him. Of course I'm suggesting a used laptop, money is tight, and installing Peppermint on it. I believe he is studying civil or mechanical engineering. Besides FreeCad, what other engineering packages would you guys recommend? He is leaning towards a Windows laptop but I'm trying to convince him that he may end up spending more for the software he needs than the actual laptop. I asked for a list of the software he'll need but I still haven't received it. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks guys.  :-\
What was I thinking?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Packages for Engineering students
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 05:03:08 pm »
If he's  going on some kind of engineering course it'd be best to find out which software they're likely to be using on the course.

You'd not be doing him any favours talking him into Linux if it would impede him on the course ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Timo

• Open Source is more than the sum of its bytes
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM7 Respin (64bit) & PM8 (64bit)
Re: Packages for Engineering students
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 11:15:31 am »
If he's going to use Linux he should have a properly working windows VM.

If he's even allowed to install the CAD software they're using on a private PC that is. But having a properly working windows VM is probably still useful, that's just what you're expected to run.