Choose style:

Author Topic: Is Android really just Linux?  (Read 379 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo que adora Menta.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 64-bit
Is Android really just Linux?
« on: July 08, 2017, 10:11:29 pm »
Is Android really just Linux?

I think Jessica Thornsby, writing for Android Authority, did a good job here sorting out some common misconceptions.

http://www.androidauthority.com/android-linux-784964/
If you love GNU/Linux, and have a taste for Peppermint, you've now found where you belong.

Offline mac

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 & 8
Re: Is Android really just Linux?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 10:54:51 pm »
Android is built on a modified Linux kernel but does not use glibc (GNU C Library) and many tools you find in most Linux distros.  There's no graphical X server in Android, either, so you can't run Linux apps on Android and you can't run Android apps on standard Linux distros.  You can root an Andorid device and use some terminal utilities with BusyBox or similar.  It's a lot more complicated than that but that's a start.  The article you cited points out some of the basic differences.   ;)

EDIT: This is a bit dated from THIS ARTICLE

Summary:

1. Android is an open source operating system developed by Android, Inc. which is now

owned by Google, Inc. whereas Linux is developed as an open source operating  system (Actually just the kernel) under the GNU project by Linus Torvalds and many others.

2. Android is developed for Mobile Internet Devices and mobile phones whereas Linux is developed for desktops/laptops/servers.

3. The Android operating system has its own C library called Bionic whereas Linux systems use GNU C library.

4. The Android systems use flash memory instead of hard drives while the standard Linux systems use magnetic drives.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 11:05:01 pm by mac »
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 (64bit)
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 04:41:02 am »
For me it's really simple, Android **IS** a Linux distribution (it does after all 'distribute' the Linux kernel) .. it is NOT a full GNU/Linux distribution, and it's not "JUST" Linux (no OS is "just" Linux).

One thing is clear .. Android couldn't exist (at least in its current form and without a TON of work) without Linux so draw your conclusion from that ;)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 04:43:49 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 11:06:06 am »
For me it's really simple, Android **IS** a Linux distribution [...]

Agreed !

I don't care if it's a pedometer, a refrigerator, or a space shuttle.  Linux kernel = Linux.

Put another way:   Linux kernel + (your own layered user interface) = Linux distribution

As an aside, I sent out an email via Thunderbird this morning, and attached a .PDF file.  In the text of the email, I added a 'smiley'.   

When I checked the 'sent' email, to make sure the .PDF was attached, the 'smily' text was displayed as a colored emoji. YaY!

Maybe we should add these emoji fonts to P9, or at least have them available in the repo.

Depending on the app, the emojis are displayed in either color or mono, but either way, it sure beats looking at empty gray squares, boxes, rectangles, and assorted strange characters.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 11:10:59 am by VinDSL, Reason: Added Link »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 01:25:46 pm »
Maybe we should add these emoji fonts to P9, or at least have them available in the repo.

I guess we could .. if I remember that is.

Maybe you could put a note in the "Peppermint Next" dev forum
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 10:28:56 pm »
Maybe you could put a note in the "Peppermint Next" dev forum

Done  ;)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo que adora Menta.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 64-bit
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 10:37:11 pm »
Here's some fun news.

Bill Gates now uses an Android phone

By Tom Warren for The Verge

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/26/16365424/bill-gates-android-phone-switch

Since Bill is enjoying Android now, maybe it's time for him to give Peppermint a try on the desktop too.  I'm sure he'll find updating and autocleaning in Peppermint 8 hours faster than updating and disk cleaning in Windows 10.  Activation key?  Let's see if Bill enjoys trying Peppermint 8 without one! ;)
If you love GNU/Linux, and have a taste for Peppermint, you've now found where you belong.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 10:50:15 am »
I bet Steve Ballmer is already a closet Pepperminter :D

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 11:11:24 am »
Everybody around here, Colombia South America, live on the android app WhatssApp. The video calling makes that app. I was trying to emulate android with Genymotion but they want $136 dollars a year to be able to receive video. Outgoing video and voice work good though.