Choose style:

Author Topic: Possible causes for system hang with cursor and sound functional (SOLVED)  (Read 516 times)

Offline markba633csi

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6.0
Experiencing occasional system freezes when playing YouTube videos (Peppermint 6, Thinkpad T400/ 2.4ghz/4G ram, integrated Intel graphics) with sound continuing and cursor still moving.   Does not occur when playing DVDs. 
Am I running out of ram or swap space?  Any way to tell if this is a hardware or software issue?  Some type of formatting problem with YouTube itself?
I read something to the effect that the kernel should be using GPET (precision event timer) and that this is configurable in GRUB.  Not something I'm wanting to mess with at this point. 
This seems to be a frequently reported problem with other operating systems and platforms as well,  which leads me to believe it is a system timing issue.
Ideas?
Mark S.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 04:45:43 pm by markba633csi »

Offline cavy

• Trusted User
  • Caveman
    • View Profile
    • PeppermentOS Pixies
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Eight
Re: Possible causes for system hang with cursor and sound functional
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 09:05:04 pm »
Hi Mark S

Please refer to this post and adjust your swap values (and Cache Pressure to 50) from 60 to 1. https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,5464.0.html

Especially if you experience loose of picture or blank screen while playing a you tube video.

cavy  :D

« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 09:09:32 pm by cavy »
“We know what we are, but not what we may be.”

Desktop Dell 7040 i7-6700 500Gb-SSD 32Gb ram
Laptop    Dell 7470 i5-6300 500Gb-SSD  16Gb ram
Various antiques to sample other OS's etc

Offline markba633csi

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6.0
Re: Possible causes for system hang with cursor and sound functional
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 04:45:11 pm »
Thanks Cavy that's a big list- I'm sure the fix is in there so I'm going to mark it SOLVED for now. 
Mark