Choose style:

Author Topic: Allowing all users to update when using mintupdate  (Read 790 times)

Offline Pikolo

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
Allowing all users to update when using mintupdate
« on: July 05, 2017, 01:44:02 pm »
I'd like to allow other users to update the system and install new applications through the Software Center, but I don't want to make them full administrators. I'm considering a few ways, but I'm open to suggestions too:
- I've seen an app called lsudo that allowed giving certain users to run specified programs as root. That would work perfectly :)
- I dug into sudoers.d and found the rule that allowed anyone to run checkAPT.py, which allows them to see that there are updates that need to be installed, but there doesn't seem to be an exclusive way to do the same with updating  :-\
- I think I could try to make a group and move these permissions to it, but that is probably a great way to break the system

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: Allowing all users to update when using mintupdate
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 01:55:25 pm »
Just out of curiosity:  why?  I mean, if the system admin installs a program or updates the system, it's done on the system level and is available to all users.

The whole point of having one admin password to make system level changes is to limit that kind of access.  As far as I know, the only way another user can install software would be to give them the password, which would give them unlimited access to the system. (though, someone will correct that if I'm wrong)

Offline Pikolo

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 02:10:56 pm »
I installed the system myself, and would rather retain my account, but I won't be here to maintain it. I need my brother to do the updates, but he isn't terribly knowledgeable, so I'd like to limit his potential damage to broken updates, applications from repositories and mounting USB drives.

The OS in question is Peppermint 8

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 02:21:59 pm »
Ah, I see.  Protecting him from himself.  ;)  Well, maybe someone else knows how to grant the level of access you're looking for.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 02:34:30 pm »
If you're not going to be there to fix things, and aren't willing to give full access I'm not sure it's a good idea
(updates and software installation being the #1 cause of breakages)

But it's your system

Anyway, is there any reason you don't just use unattended-upgrades ?
https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide/automatic-updates.html

I'd still like to add a WARNING: This is NOT a very good idea unless you're going to be around to fix things should they go wrong, in fact I'd advise just not getting updates at all until you are.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec