Choose style:

Author Topic: Best Practice - Install PMOS8 alongside Micro$oft [ SOLVED ]  (Read 375 times)

Offline cavy

• Trusted User
  • Caveman
    • View Profile
    • PeppermentOS Pixies
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Seven & Eight
Have experimented with Micro$hite 10 today. Fresh install, that bit no probs.  ::)

Headache part, in the old daze, disconnect sata cable/take out disk, install Linux separate. Gotta Love Legacy mode. Plug and Go. After sudo update-grub  8)

UEFI mode: really is a bad hair day with micro$hite.   :(

Got it to boot and work no problem, then tried to change boot order, to see if it worked like Legacy. EERRR.....No....!   :-[

I used the something else method to install PMOS8, with its own /efi/boot (ESP) partition, / root, /home and swap.

Could not re-rein-engage P8 after charging boot order in BIOS.

** NOTE ** The install alongside method seemed only to be able to destroy and install upon existing partitions, similar to the rather heavy handed erase and install method. Been there bought the T-shirt. Works but not very nice to BIOS, with entries permanently burnt into the UEFI boot order. Not nice.

Best Practice...TIA.... :D
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 05:27:14 pm by cavy »
“We know what we are, but not what we may be.”

Desktop Intel Quad Core i7 240Gb-SSD 16Gb ram
Laptop    Intel  Dual Core i5 240Gb-SSD  8Gb ram

Offline zebedeeboss

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P8 x64 (Main) and P8 x64(Laptop)
Re: Best Practice - Install PMOS8 alongside Micro$****
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 04:00:49 am »
Hi cavy,

I can only speak for my equipment and how it works

When installing Windows 10 do so in UEFI mode with secure boot turned off and preferably GPT disk if Linux is going to reside on the same disk.

In Windows 10 make sure "Fast boot" is turned off (This is Microsofts way of faster booting and royally screws up linux)

Install linux from live USB and when in live use gparted to make the necessary partions for Linux.

Install - reboot - job done.

as I said previously - I can only guarantee this only works for me on my kit but generally speaking it should work. Bios settings and their implementation of UEFI and secure boot are usually the biggest headache.

Regards Zeb...

EDIT:  also have a look at efibootmgr

Code: [Select]
sudo efibootmgr -v

That will show you the boot order and using --help you should be able to work out the relevant command to make Pep boot first
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 04:44:40 am by zebedeeboss »
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P8 x64 Desktop - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA GTX1060 6Gb - 43" 4k 3840x2160
P8 x64 Laptop - Intel(R) Dual Core i5-4200U - 8Gb RAM - Intel Integrated Graphics - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline cavy

• Trusted User
  • Caveman
    • View Profile
    • PeppermentOS Pixies
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 11:05:09 am »
Hi  zebedeeboss,

Cheers m8, what I'm doing goes against the grain, but I need to run windoze (probably 2 or 3 at most) programmes, Grrrr....!

Secure boot is not an issue, it is an old Dell 5420, 2nd generation Intel core i3 lappy and a pre-secure boot model.

I did successfully install both OS's. W10 first, then PM8 on a resized 50Gb reformatted ext4 partition of the lappy's disk. Both booted using Peppermint's boot splash.

After altering the boot loader in the BIOS, placing w10 in the primary UEFI position and Ubuntu to secondary, I then experienced problems. i.e Pressing F12 and click on the Ubuntu boot loader wouldn't boot Peppermint, either.

Windoze partition manager recognises (or rather sees) x4 healthy partitions of an undetermined format. But doesn't recognise Linux, nor has a boot loader whereas w7/8 did. So W10 is OS agnostic.

Have wiped both OS's for a clean install.

Once w10 has been install, the licence is for life of that computer's mobo, I can practice this as many times as needed.

1. Is it necessary for P8 to have its own /ESP, I did note it was NOT used when in P8.
2. Install alongside or something else
3. Leave Ubuntu in primary UEFI position.
4. Any other windoze tips...?

TIA   :D

Offline zebedeeboss

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P8 x64 (Main) and P8 x64(Laptop)
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 11:13:03 am »
Hi cavy,

1. set it up the same as you did before and leave peppermint in charge - DO NOT make windows first in the boot loader.
2. Something else and give peppermint it's own partition (preferably HD has been made GTP - no longer constrained by 4 partitions)
3. Yes
4. Find Linux alternatives to the programs you must use.

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P8 x64 Desktop - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA GTX1060 6Gb - 43" 4k 3840x2160
P8 x64 Laptop - Intel(R) Dual Core i5-4200U - 8Gb RAM - Intel Integrated Graphics - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline cavy

• Trusted User
  • Caveman
    • View Profile
    • PeppermentOS Pixies
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 11:58:03 am »
Hi cavy,
4. Find Linux alternatives to the programs you must use.

Regards Zeb...

I hear ya m8.   ;)

But this project is for the old man, bless his 84yr cotton socks. But he thinks Linux, can do anything, have to vacuum his download page regularly of .exe files.

cavy   :D 

Offline cavy

• Trusted User
  • Caveman
    • View Profile
    • PeppermentOS Pixies
Re: Best Practice - Install PMOS8 alongside Micro$oft [ SOLVED ]
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 05:52:12 pm »
Its done...!   ;)

Gawd forgot about those zillion different notifications, including the kitchen sink, that have to be turned off. Gone through it with a fine toothcomb, Cortina, off, anything allowed, off, ditto with locale, wifi, bluetooth, camera, your mums best friend etc.

Scanned, firewalled, ad-blocker extension, switch off Edge, dump Explorer and Windows media player, install Clementine and VLC. FastStone Image Viewer, is not bad, sorta similar to gThumb.

Blue is the colour if you want all your rendering & window decoration on your apps to look the same.   ;)

VGA cable on order, then stripped out X-Box and any other bloatware and financial money-pit called an app in that rip off store, also gone. 

There should be a Parental Warning about that fekking app-store, so they can bolt their wallet to ground and surround it with Greek-fire. 'struth...bankruptcy...central. 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 05:54:08 pm by cavy »