Choose style:

Author Topic: Prepare and Install Peppermint 8  (Read 861 times)

Offline cavy

• Trusted User
  • Caveman
    • View Profile
    • PeppermentOS Pixies
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Seven & Eight
Prepare and Install Peppermint 8
« on: June 27, 2017, 07:37:51 pm »
Step One

01. Place USB stick into USB slot or DVD in cdrom tray of laptop/desktop
02. Boot up into Live environment
03. Open menu and look for Gparted in System Tools
04. Open this app
05. This will display the existing formatted partitions, if any or a single unformatted partition, i.e a new disk.
06. If you had been using pre-installed Microsoft computer, it is possible to find green coloured partitions x3 and black x1
07. Right click on the bottom partition and click delete to remove it
08. Then delete all partitions and click apply
09. Click on Device on the top toolbar
10. Click on Create partition table, set this to either to msdos or GPT for UEFI and click apply
11. Leaving a single unformatted partition, right click, and choose New Partition, then format to ext4, click apply and close app

N.B Best practice to create GPT partition tables and formatted partition, prior to install, you may have to reboot and enter BIOS to check/set boot to UEFI mode

Step Two

01. Open installer by right clicking Peppermint logo symbol on desktop and click open, then follow these steps
02. Welcome page: choose your language
03. Preparing to install: leave these boxes unchecked if choosing UEFI mode
04. Installation type: in Legacy or UEFI mode

Guided method
a. Install Peppermint alongside i.e Debian GNU/Linux (9.0) or Microsoft
b. Erase Disk and install Peppermint
c. Erase Disk and install Peppermint with Encryption & LVM - check all three
d. Erase Disk and install Peppermint with LVM - check both and omit encryption

Manual method
e. Something else

Review of install types
Guided
a. This only shows if there is another OS installed on the same computer, drawbacks: if on same disk have you freed up adequate disk space.
b. Ideal for novice users, drawbacks: ram dictates the root partition size, a fresh install and applications require a good 5 to 6 Gb
c. If you require a secure laptop/desktop for business purposes or value your privacy, drawbacks: slight loss of start up speed, some maintenance by removing old kernels
d. Ideal for an expending data requirements and multiple disk computers, logical volume grow with usage, drawbacks: some maintenance by removing old kernels

Manual
e. Most people can get by with 3 partitions, / (root) 6Gb plus, swap (mirrors the ram size) and /home (usually what is left of disk).
Experienced users, have a myriad of requirements and tastes, like file-system preferences and UEFI or Legacy boot mode. 

Depending on your choice, the installer will list what you have chosen and where the grub will be stored i.e sda or sdb if twin disk machine, when you click install, then agree to continue
if you have chosen Encrypted LVM, the next screen is to enter your encryption password, then confirm it.

N.B Guided Encryption currently can only be installed on stand alone machine. There are manual encryption methods, introduce extra complications 

Example how to manually install in UEFI mode
(if asked during the UEFI install, with a pop-up saying the system is currently in UEFI, click continue to force your new UEFI install.
a. Click on something else
b. Click on the main partition
c. Delete partition with - symbol 
d. Click + to create new partition
e. In the new pop-up box enter size 250Mb and EFI System Partition (/boot/efi or ESP), then click Ok
f. Click + to create new partition
g. In the new pop-up box enter size 20Gb and ext4 journalling file system, mount point /, then click Ok
h. Click + to create new partition
i. In the new pop-up box enter size 10Gb and ext4 journalling file system, mount point /var, then click Ok
j. Click + to create new partition
k. In the new pop-up box enter size 211Gb and ext4 journalling file system, mount point /home, then click Ok
l. Click + to create new partition
m. In the new pop-up box enter size 8Gb and swap area, then click Ok

Depending on your choice, the installer will list what you have chosen and where the grub may be stored i.e sda, sdb or sdc when you click install, then agree to continue

N.B Best practice to create GPT partition tables and formatted partition, prior to install, you may have to enter BIOS and check/set to boot to UEFI mode

The following prompts will guide you through the final install process asking you to enter:
01. Location i.e London/Paris/New York
02. Keyboard layout English UK or USA
03. Who are you: your name,  computer's name (nickname or make/model type), username (first name or nickname) and password
04. You can see a progress bar loading up various programmes and apps to your hard drive or SSD
05. It takes approximately 20 minutes from beginning to end with a pop-up asking you to Reboot your newly installed Peppermint to your computer
06. Then Remove the DVD or USB install medium and press the Enter key.
07. Welcome to Peppermint, enjoy.

Step Three
Post install updates and checks with other useful tips for UEFI & SSD users
https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,5464.0.html

« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 07:02:25 pm by cavy »
“We know what we are, but not what we may be.”

Desktop Intel Quad Core i7 240Gb-SSD 16Gb ram
Laptop    Intel  Dual Core i5 240Gb-SSD  8Gb ram

Offline cavy

• Trusted User
  • Caveman
    • View Profile
    • PeppermentOS Pixies
Re: Prepare and Install Peppermint 8
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 07:03:42 pm »
I have published a complete pictorial guide on IMGUR to accompany the above instructions   ;)

Preparation

http://imgur.com/a/AmWnS

Install Guide

http://imgur.com/a/0pSrb

Post Install, Upgrades and Reboot

http://imgur.com/a/9Vf10

Online mac

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 & 8
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 07:25:32 pm »
Very nice, cavy!   ;)
Peppermint: Standing Out from the Cloud
Reg. Linux User #432835

Offline cavy

• Trusted User
  • Caveman
    • View Profile
    • PeppermentOS Pixies
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 07:31:17 pm »
Cheers mac,   :D

I remember my novice days, spending hours surfing the net, finding misleading or incomplete instructions. Grr...!  ;)

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 02:38:23 pm »
Hi cavy, to me this is a little confusing. Why not just click on fresh install which will clean the disc? Or is it because of the UEFI mode that this is necessary? When I came over from Windows, I didn't know anything about forming partitions or using the terminal, basically just click on menu and go. After a while, I started building confidence and with a lot of help from this community, I created a DATA partition with symlinks to home folders. This is what I recommend to non savvy people who want to dump Windows.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 (64bit)
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 03:18:30 pm »
I agree with alynur, the easiest method if you don't need to keep any partitions is just to accept "Wipe the drive and install Peppermint", then all partitioning is done for you.
(basically it's just a case of clicking "Next" a lot)

That said, it doesn't hurt to have the manual procedure documented "just in case" :)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 03:20:52 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline cavy

• Trusted User
  • Caveman
    • View Profile
    • PeppermentOS Pixies
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 03:49:04 pm »
Review of install types
Guided
b. Ideal for novice users, drawbacks: ram dictates the root partition size, a fresh install and applications require a good 5 to 6 Gb

Manual
e. Most people can get by with 3 partitions, / (root) 6Gb plus, swap (mirrors the ram size) and /home (usually what is left of disk).
Experienced users, have a myriad of requirements and tastes, like file-system preferences and UEFI or Legacy boot mode. 

Fair comment, I was a novice not that long ago alynur. Now I'm a guide dog learning the ropes guiding the new Linux user's along their journey.

Preference or best practice, please note I did point the novice user towards the "Erase Disk and install Peppermint", see above.

I think I wrote this guide, in a laymen's language, minus the techno-babble of guides that were available during my learning curve.

After helping this forum member: https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,5759.msg58032.html#msg58032 in a straightforward manner, I realised I had to expand this topic, as in flesh out the bones. Help novices like him to take the next step. As with mine.

cavy   :D

« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 03:26:29 pm by cavy »

Offline cavy

• Trusted User
  • Caveman
    • View Profile
    • PeppermentOS Pixies
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 05:47:47 pm »
Or is it because of the UEFI mode that this is necessary?

That be a contributing reason, currently. Really it is about the 2012 advice, I received on a Ubuntu forum about how to install Ubuntu to a new AIO computer with windoze 8 pre-installed.

It was simply  put...loser, switch UEFI to Legacy, and disable fast boot in BIOS, then put Ubuntu Livecd into cdrom tray and nuke M$. Okay job done. Happy.   ;)

Later I discovered I naively destroyed my UEFI. Brute force and ignorance is not a good virtue.   :(

This became a habit until I noticed in 2014 Ubuntu was burnt in the UEFI entry of my THEN tower computer (RIP now), there were lots of mistakes and a very steep learning curve.   ::)

We pay a pretty penny for our computers, there is no need for knuckle-headed or elitist attitudes to spoil or damage your investment, be it financial or time taken on your Linux journey.   :D
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 06:57:01 pm by cavy »

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 09:55:31 pm »
Or is it because of the UEFI mode that this is necessary?

That be a contributing reason, currently. Really it is about the 2012 advice, I received on a Ubuntu forum about how to install Ubuntu to a new AIO computer with windoze 8 pre-installed.

It was simply  put...loser, switch UEFI to Legacy, and disable fast boot in BIOS, then put Ubuntu Livecd into cdrom tray and nuke M$. Okay job done. Happy.   ;)

Later I discovered I naively destroyed my UEFI. Brute force and ignorance is not a good virtue.   :(

This became a habit until I noticed in 2014 Ubuntu was burnt in the UEFI entry of my THEN tower computer (RIP now), there were lots of mistakes and a very steep learning curve.   ::)

We pay a pretty penny for our computers, there is no need for knuckle-headed or elitist attitudes to spoil or damage your investment, be it financial or time taken on your Linux journey.   :D

HI cavy, well now you see this something I did not know and ignored when I switched mother boards for a board with UEFI. One time when I was installing P 7 on this board I booted into the UEFI capability and when I went to install, I received a warning that if I installed in the UEFI mode, I would not be able to boot into other LINUX distros and it gave me the option to go back and install the bios version, which I did. I have no idea how that affected my machine, but everything seems to work fine.

Offline cavy

• Trusted User
  • Caveman
    • View Profile
    • PeppermentOS Pixies
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 01:05:06 pm »
One time when I was installing P 7 on this board I booted into the UEFI capability and when I went to install, I received a warning that if I installed in the UEFI mode, I would not be able to boot into other LINUX distros and it gave me the option to go back and install the bios version, which I did. I have no idea how that affected my machine, but everything seems to work fine.

Hi alynur, do you mean this.....?

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 02:39:02 pm »
One time when I was installing P 7 on this board I booted into the UEFI capability and when I went to install, I received a warning that if I installed in the UEFI mode, I would not be able to boot into other LINUX distros and it gave me the option to go back and install the bios version, which I did. I have no idea how that affected my machine, but everything seems to work fine.

Hi alynur, do you mean this.....?

That's the one.