Choose style:

Author Topic: Clementine 1.2 has no sound in PM5 64bit [SOLVED]  (Read 4267 times)

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Clementine 1.2 has no sound in PM5 64bit [SOLVED]
« on: June 29, 2014, 10:42:53 am »
Good evening all, how's it going?  I'm having issues with Clementine 2.1.  It was working and it then started to have no sound.  All the usual things were checked like, all the volume levels and mutes.  It opens up fine and it appears to be playing normally: the graphics are moving up and down musically.  Completely exiting and restarting makes no difference.  A full removal and purge including the .config folder and then install was working.  Even that has ceased to work.   I have tested playing audio files in VLC, Banshee, Amarok and even DeaDBeeF, (I'd keep DeaDBeeF if it was in the repositories). They all play perfectly.  I guess  that Clementine has an ALSA issue.  Strange, as it is based on Amarok.  Any ideas are most welcome.  Thanks  ;).
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 08:26:08 pm by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Clementine 2.1 has no sound in PM5 64bit
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 11:55:46 am »
Clementine 2.1 ?

do you mean 1.2.0 or 1.2.1 ?

Where did you get it ?

Maybe you should try 1.2.3 from here::
https://github.com/clementine-player/Clementine/releases
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Clementine 2.1 has no sound in PM5 64bit
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 01:07:56 pm »
Clementine 2.1 ?

do you mean 1.2.0 or 1.2.1 ?

Where did you get it ?

Maybe you should try 1.2.3 from here::
https://github.com/clementine-player/Clementine/releases
A dyslectic moment.  It is 1.2 and it was installed from the repos.  I've just retried 1.2.3 via a ppa.  I removed the current config folder before first launch.  That made no difference.  It is really strange, I used the 1.2.3 version with PM4 and it was better than the one in the repository.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 01:10:43 pm by AndyInMokum »

Offline dsplayname

• View Profile
Re: Clementine 1.2 has no sound in PM5 64bit
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 01:51:06 pm »
I previously had the same problem with Clementine, but in another distro( I think it was Fedora or openSUSE).    Rather than actually fix it, I think I just switched to Audacious for a while.
freedom defined is freedom denied

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 02:35:46 pm »
Yeah, I was thinking about giving Audacious a whirl.  It just really bugs me that Clementine is acting up.  I been using it as my default player for about a year and I love it.  One thing is for sure.  I am never installing Amarok again.  My goodness, they should call that Leviathan.  The thing is colossal after it has pull in all the dependences.   I'm going to leave this topic open, if I may.  Someone may come up with a bright idea.  Thanks guys   ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 05:44:29 pm »
What happens if you kill pulseaudio .. be aware, pulseaudio will immediately respawn unless you tell it not to...

so to stop it respawning, then killi it
Code: [Select]
echo autospawn = no > ~/.config/pulse/client.conf
then
pulseaudio --kill
then be sure to detele that file so you can restart pulseaudio later
rm ~/.config/pulse/client.conf
Now try launching Clementine.

You can restart pulseaudio with
pulseaudio --start

Source:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/8425/how-to-temporarily-disable-pulseaudio
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 03:36:04 am »
Thanks Mark for that and sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.  The problems started to be more than just Clementine playing up.  Some of the folders and files that I backed up got their names muddled when they were moved from their source media to their target.   Chrome started to use huge amounts of CPU too.  That made the fan sound like a Spitefire taking off.   I thought it may be a HDD problem , such as bad sectors causing this goofiness. That would had really hacked me off because the disk is only 3 months old.  I figured a good way to test this theory was to flash  back the PM4 Clonezilla image I made a few days before Peppermint Five's release.  That way, Clonezilla will check the disk and flash the working image if there are no disk problems. That went as smooth as silk; no problems what-so-ever.  The source backup folders and files are fine too.  They "copy and paste"  without the odd name changing and the Spitefire is nowhere to be seen or heard  :D.   I'll re-backup the goofy files and folder just to be safe.   So nothing is lost other than a bit of time.   I'm going to download a fresh ISO, md5sum it and dd it onto a thumbdrive.   I'll reinstall to three primary logical partitions /,  /home and swap that I'll make with GParted.  Hopefully that will smooth things out.

The Ubiquity installer still wants to use sdc rather than the more traditional sda MBR?  The mouse or the installation media occupies the sda1 spot.  Is this going to cause issues?  Thanks again  ;).
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 04:41:27 am by AndyInMokum »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 04:21:25 am »
Thanks Mark for that and sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.  The problems started to be more than just Clementine playing up.  Some of the folders and files that I backed up got their names muddled when they were moved from their source media to their target.   Chrome started to use huge amounts of CPU too.  That made the fan sound like a Spitefire taking off.   I thought it may be a HDD problem , such as bad sectors causing this goofiness. That would had really hacked me off because the disk is only 3 months old.  I figured a good way to test this theory was to flash  back the PM4 Clonezilla image I made a few days before Peppermint Five's release.  That way, Clonezilla will check the disk and flash the working image if there are no disk problems. That went as smooth as silk; no problems what-so-ever.  The source backup folders and files are fine too.  They "copy and paste"  without the odd name changing and the Spitefire is nowhere to be seen or heard  :D.   I'll re-backup the goofy files and folder just to be safe.   So nothing is lost other than a bit of time.   I'm going to download a fresh ISO, md5sum it and dd it onto a thumbdrive.   I'll reinstall to three primary logical partitions /,  /home and swap that I'll make with GParted.  Hopefully that will smooth things out.

The Ubiquity installer still wants to use sdc rather than the more traditional sda MBR?  The mouse or the installation media occupies the sda1 spot.  Is this going to cause issues?  Thanks again  ;).

That did the trick.  The sound is working fine and the goofy behaviour has stopped.  The only thing I did differently this time was to re-partition the HDD using, "gparted-live-0.19.0-1-i486.iso" from a cd rather than from a thumb drive.  This time around Peppermint Five is running effortlessly.  All of the little tidying up and tweaks are working.  I really don't know what was causing the problems the first time around.  ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 09:01:31 am »
So does that mean clementine is working without having to disable pulseaudio ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 10:07:36 am »
So does that mean clementine is working without having to disable pulseaudio ?

Pulseaudio is up and running with no issues with Clementine.  I haven't tried using the global graphics equalizer yet. The version of Clementine being used is 1.2.3 from Clementine's ppa.  Everything is running fine.  The config files from PM4 work fine, (same version of Clementine).   I was really worried it was my HDD.  According to Clonezilla, there are no bad sector or any problems.  That's why we back things up!  I really don't know what was causing the issues.  I have done nothing different with this install.   :-\  So whether I'm sitting on a time bomb - I don't know.  Finger are crossed that everything is fine.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 10:42:20 am by AndyInMokum »