Choose style:

Author Topic: Honourable mention  (Read 828 times)

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
Honourable mention
« on: June 22, 2017, 02:07:36 am »
I came across this quite unexpectedly on Datamation it brought a smile to my face (a rare thing these days) it also made me wonder if the salesman is a member of our forum, if you are and you're reading this take a bow sir :)

By Acadianlion   September 20 2016 03:53 PDT

My wife's computer is or has failed. As far as I can tell only one memory slot is working. The Machine is a Dell Optiplex 320 (or some such) and it should have 4 gigs of memory. It's slowwwwwwwww....running Windows 7. I have been about ready to rush out and buy a new-to-us, refurbished something or other running Windows 10. The sales person at the refurbishing store (where we bought all the other computers we own) strongly suggested Peppermint. I've been reading and am intrigued, so here is what I have decided to do. First of all, I have a Dell 5150 with XP...my old computer retired when I bought my "newer" Dell with Windows 7. I have decided to download Linux Peppermint on the old machine to try it out before suggesting to my wife that she try a different operating system. My wife is NOT particularly computer literate nor is she patient with such things at her 72 years of age. My issue is that I cannot get the old Windows computer to connect and download. I can open MSN and from Windows Explorer can access the site, but nothing happens when I try to download. The old machine has been sitting for more than two years, Why?

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Honourable mention
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 07:41:06 am »
That's terrific, that salesman need a damn good pat on the back for giving good advice rather than just attempting to push a sale.

Well done that man :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

The PoorGuy

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 08:32:17 am »
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 09:35:54 pm by The PoorGuy »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 10:45:38 am »
As the post is dated Sept 2016 it's probably too late now.

If only he'd have come on the forum....
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

The PoorGuy

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 12:11:57 pm »
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 09:35:37 pm by The PoorGuy »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 12:38:21 pm »
Good idea info is always useful .. if he turns up now we're pre-armed so can shoot help him :)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 12:40:53 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

The PoorGuy

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 12:55:17 pm »
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 09:35:16 pm by The PoorGuy »