Choose style:

Author Topic: The secret things you give away through your phone metadata  (Read 1616 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
The secret things you give away through your phone metadata

By Nsikan Akpan for the PBS NEWSHOUR

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/your-phone-metadata-is-more-revealing-than-you-think/

We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Re: The secret things you give away through your phone metadata
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 09:04:12 am »
Hi perknh,

Yes, telephone metadata can be used to find out much more information about individuals than most people realize. From me, however, there is not much to gather: I am fortunate enough to not need (and therefore do not own) a smart-phone, or even a simple cell-phone of any sort.  :P Additionally, I use a normal telephone about as often as I wash my windows -- which I can promise you is very infrequently.

What many, or probably most, people do not realize is the huge quantities of data that automobiles store (at least those that have been built in the last ten years), and sometimes even deliver to the automobile manufacturer, concerning the owner/user of the automobile. This includes such things as how frequently the motor has been at its maximum RPM limit, how often the seat belts have been so suddenly tensioned that the adjustment brake has been activated, how often the seats have been adjusted, etc, etc. More critical is if the car is fitted with a navigation aide. Now your travels can really be tracked in detail. And if you use a built-in telephone system ... well, I'm sure you get the idea.  ;)

Now, if the insurance companies manage to get this data (and I'm certain they are already looking into how they can do this), then you can begin to imagine what the consequences can, and will, be.  ::) Makes me glad that I also have not owned a car for the last 12 years.  8)

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline Timo

• Open Source is more than the sum of its bytes
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM7 Respin (64bit) & PM8 (64bit)
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 10:24:35 am »
http://arstechnica.co.uk/security/2016/02/the-nsas-skynet-program-may-be-killing-thousands-of-innocent-people/

I haven't completely red through that article (just did a quick search for a english one to post here), but it's insane. Killing based on phone metadata (for example turn off the phone frequently and get killed, because you're obviously hiding something).
But if you're looking at humans history it has always been like this: If people have extreme power they go insane and the majority follows them. And if they don't they will get killed by the others. The real sad thing is most people think nowadays it's better (if you look back in history they all thought this). Instead of learning from the past the same "mistakes" (which aren't really mistakes, because there are profiteers) are made again and again. We've had great technological progress, but socially there's not so much improvement...

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 08:51:29 am »
Hello Slim.Fatz and Timo,

Setting aside the moral concerns surrounding this issue, I know that the examination of metadata has been considered sufficient enough to warrant deadly drone strikes in South Asia.  And knowing that is sufficient enough for me to realize that metadata collection can glean a lot of serious personal information.

No matter how I scratch my head over the topic of metadata, I don't see the collection of metadata going away.  Even if we don't use a mobile phone, I believe most, if not all of us, leave digital footprints behind us all of the throughout our daily life.  At least here in northern New England, we're all monitored when we walk into a supermarket, a McDonald's restaurant, a Dunkin Donuts coffee shop, or a Walmart --in fact just about everyplace now.

I find this topic and discussion interesting and important --perhaps helping us to determine the type of society we wish to live in.  Unfortunately I'm using a metadata gathering Chromebook right now, and, if I've discovered anything using a Chromebook, I've discovered that I can't stand typing on a Chiclet keyboard at all.  This style of keyboard just drives me nuts.  >:(

Thank you both for posting.  ;)

perknh

Offline GNULINUX

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Six (x64)
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 05:37:01 pm »
I find this topic and discussion interesting and important --perhaps helping us to determine the type of society we wish to live in.
+1

In my opinion Anonymous Metadata does not exists, combine enough and there goes your anonymity!
And you know what I find far more worrying? That this lack of privacy has a real chilling effect on (expressed) opinions!

GNULINUX will not vent his true opinion but maybe one of his many alter-egos will do it somewhere else?   ;)
And you know why? Because it's going to lead to politics... but in reality it shouldn't, privacy is a human right for everybody!
The best we can do/get at the moment is pseudonymity/pseudoanonymity...

In real life (away from keyboard) there seems to be nothing we can do about it, governments and big companies are all decisive!
And there comes the political part...  ::)
Peppermint 6  (x64)   -   Windows 7 Ultimate SP1  (x64)
Running different OS flavors in VirtualBox, just for fun!

Offline Timo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 07:08:51 am »
Even if we don't use a mobile phone, I believe most, if not all of us, leave digital footprints behind us all of the throughout our daily life.  At least here in northern New England, we're all monitored when we walk into a supermarket, a McDonald's restaurant, a Dunkin Donuts coffee shop, or a Walmart --in fact just about everyplace now.

Well, big companies are obviously not the best place for privacy anyways... the sad thing is they're the ones supported by politics. I'm still able to go to a local farmer/restaurant/..., but they're dissappearing rapidly (most of them closing because of to much bureaucracy and restrictions).

I find this topic and discussion interesting and important --perhaps helping us to determine the type of society we wish to live in.
+1

In my opinion Anonymous Metadata does not exists, combine enough and there goes your anonymity!
And you know what I find far more worrying? That this lack of privacy has a real chilling effect on (expressed) opinions!

GNULINUX will not vent his true opinion but maybe one of his many alter-egos will do it somewhere else?   ;)
And you know why? Because it's going to lead to politics... but in reality it shouldn't, privacy is a human right for everybody!
The best we can do/get at the moment is pseudonymity/pseudoanonymity...

Yep, it's not just privacy that worries me, it's also our society. Tolerance is necessary for an open-minded society. If they're both missing, the foundation for a totalitarian system is build.
I don't care what politicians do in their free time and if it's right or wrong, we have police and judges for this, it's not the job of me as a voter. It's sad to see how the politicians who care for the people are made down by them for something, which after investigation actually was nothing or even paid by the media themselves :-[

In real life (away from keyboard) there seems to be nothing we can do about it, governments and big companies are all decisive!
And there comes the political part...  ::)

Actually we can do something, we can say what we want. It might give you disadvantages, but it's still your choice. If more people do this it's easier for all... worst thing is when millions say one can't change the world.

Offline GNULINUX

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint Six (x64)
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 10:30:21 am »
@ Timo:
Indeed, that's why privacy (data) and freedom (of speech) are inseparable.

Actually we can do something, we can say what we want. It might give you disadvantages, but it's still your choice. If more people do this it's easier for all... worst thing is when millions say one can't change the world.

Respect for the guy but I think he just lost his job... and what did he really accomplish?  ;)
Always difficult...

@ perknh:

No matter how I scratch my head over the topic of metadata, I don't see the collection of metadata going away.
It's a fact that something has to change but for me "the how" isn't all that clear!
I have my tricks online but in real life I think it's very hard to make a difference, certainly when many people just don't care about it...
Peppermint 6  (x64)   -   Windows 7 Ultimate SP1  (x64)
Running different OS flavors in VirtualBox, just for fun!

Offline Timo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 03:39:27 pm »
Respect for the guy but I think he just lost his job... and what did he really accomplish?  ;)
Always difficult...

Maybe the other police officers will think about it...
Someone has to start and it's not getting easier in future. Waiting till someone else stands up isn't really the way to go either.

In Germany we currently have the refugee crisis, there are only two ways, either your pro refugees and a therefore a modern, open-minded human or contra refugees and a nazi. And politicians and media can only talk to the first ones, because nazis are against democrazy. This is just silly and ideologic, but it's reality.
I don't like the fact that most refugees that can stay here are young men. Doesn't matter if it's humanitarian help or cheap workers, in my opinion there should be complete families or roughly the same amount of men and woman... if it goes on like this we might have two men per woman in the age of 20-30 in a year, which would probably cause issues even if there were no other differences. Saying that is the reason I got called a nazi and one reason why lost my job about 6 weeks ago. It's not like I have a general issue with migrants... Germany has been a migration country with millions of migrants in a view decades and I'm living in a heavy industrialised region were most of them live, so I've obviously multiple neighbours and friends with at least migration background and wouldn't call myself a nazi. However talking to a local politician it's even worse, he doesn't want to talk with me anymore because I'm obviously a nazi and nazis are against democrazy :o . Whos destroying democrazy, the guy with a different oppinion or the guy not talking to others with different opinions?
And now back to topic, thats when loss of privacy gets an issue. As long as there's no privacy, but tolerance, it's still ok. But when you're opinion will potentially bring you in trouble privacy is gold worth.

I think we can't get our privacy back too easy, but in a real open-minded society I could live with it.

Maybe I'm a young, idealistic fool and I wouldn't do this if I had family, but as long as I can only screw up my own life I will say what I want, I know it's not going to get easier in future, especially once you've children (this is probably why revolutions were mostly started by students).

And it's not like there is no way out, in Switzerland the people are going to vote about a unconditional basic income next year. It's not astronomically high but enough to live and it would get paid to anybody with their citizenship. In my eyes a great step for more creativity and different opinions, because you could loose your job and worst case your living standart, but life would literally go on.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 03:45:30 pm by Timo »

Offline Timo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 06:18:43 am »
I don't see how, as the human population grows on planet Earth, that our planet won't become more and more totalitarian --at least in one form or another. [...] What's the anticipated number of people we're going to have on this planet in the year 2040?  Is it something like 12 billion?

And how many governments are ruling over them? More people per government -> more powerfull government -> more totalitarian? Looks like it...

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 07:12:34 am »
At 44:04 minutes into the program, a listener, Wesley or Weslie, asks how can the collection of our personal data could hurt us.  The examples in the answer surprised me.  Although I never considered that our location data from our smartphones could affect the rates we pay for our car insurance, even more chilling for me was learning that a smartphone is sensitive enough to pick up on whether or not its owner has "the tremors of Parkinson's".  Now that's creepy. :o

Source:

Is Big Tech Getting Too Big?

From 1A at NPR hosted by Joshua Johnson

http://www.npr.org/podcasts/510316/1a