Choose style:

Author Topic: About updates 1-5  (Read 649 times)

Offline 2017expre

• nOOb
  • Scandinavian man
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
About updates 1-5
« on: June 19, 2017, 03:54:38 pm »
Hello
could i ask as new user to linux peppermintos os, about update packages that keep coming,
why and who is sending those that are like red 5 ? last i got, all was level 5 ?

Why they are send to normal users, i would guess someone like who test those in sandbox, would be better?

If not install again peppermintos, is there other way afterwards to check and get rid of those red level 5 high risk updates?

I have so far install peppermintos 8 os to old 32-bit desktop computer, to replace windows vista
and then installed 64 bit peppermintos to replace windows 10 in small laptop.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: About updates 1-5
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 06:09:41 pm »
Peppermint uses the update manager from Linux mint, but we do NOT follow Linux Mint's odd update policy.

We're based on Ubuntu and use the Ubuntu repositories, so we follow the Ubuntu update policy which is to install ALL updates from the default repositories.
(hence why we have the updater set to accept them all by default).

We do NOT advise you change these settings as it will cause your system to diverge from the upstream repos .. but at the end of the day it's your machine, so disable level 4 and 5 if you wish.

Again I repeat WE DO NOT ADVISE THIS .. the default settings chosen in the update manager are NOT a mistake, they were chosen specifically to follow the Ubuntu update policy because we're Ubuntu based not Mint based ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline 2017expre

• nOOb
  • Scandinavian man
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 01:20:58 am »
Yes, it could be like that.
I am not too familiar to alternative systems (linux , ubuntu).
I had feeling more that there can not be too much risk in those settings,
no matter what there read about some packages risks.

Anyway most important updates would keep coming, if if mess lower settings or not.
Better keep it like it is.

Thanks for some new information.

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 04:07:11 am »
I think the biggest risk, and probably rather low is to run into some incompatibilities when updating the kernel, but if you keep the previous kernel you can always revert to it...
That said, Peppermint is not using kernel 4.11.6, which is the latest stable kernel version. Peppermint uses the longterm series, so IMHO the risk for any incompatibilities is very low.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 04:08:57 am by pin »

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 04:16:49 am »
Hi 2017expire,

as an example of everyday use. I have used Peppermint OS since 2015 and NEVER had an issue with updates.

Mint update 1-5 with 4 and 5 being suggested as "potentially dangerous" by Linux Mint - in my honest opinion is just plain stupid and misleading.

Peppermint OS is ROCK SOLID with its current settings - leave well alone   :)

Enjoy your Peppermint OS - knowing Team Peppermint have got you covered.

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080